1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Lowe’s is closing 51 stores

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RHJJ, Nov 5, 2018.

1. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Whoever put them up on shelves at a 45 degree angle probably watched that jackass movie..... [rofl]

-Mike

2. sschevy

sschevy Instructor Dealer NES Member

They killed them because the consumer stopped going to the hometown hardware

And if everyone keeps throwing their cash to internet based companies 2 thousand miles away many more hometown establishments will also fade away

Remember this when you need a part for your snowblower or faucet and you have to wait 4 days for delivery

Keep it local and support small business

3. crazymjb

crazymjb

I have no loyalty towards one or the other, but I prefer HD 100 times over.

Mike

4. Come and take

Come and take NES Member

I agree. I try to stear away from big box stores.

Local Hardware first, then big box store if mom and pop don’t have it.

Every time I walk into a Lowe’s I swear the employees called out sick or are hiding. A swarm of zombie customers looking for help with no help to be found.

5. drgrant

Kind of hard to do when the "local" places either dont have what I need/want or sell it at a rape price. And I do try to buy local when I can, but given reality some products are just better sourced online at
    this point.

-Mike

JRLB and Daddy Mac like this.
  6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

No opinion of L vs HD. I like blue, so I tend to go to Lowe's more. Really. That's a reason. Plus the store is bigger than the 2 HD's in my area. Or it seems so. Selection is greater.

As far as this closing, most of those stores are in Canadana. And if a store isn't producing, you close it. Period. Why keep open a store that does s-word??? That's what Sears & K-Mart did for decades.

wiryone1 likes this.
  7. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

I like Blue, but local Home Despot has more things.

They pretty much became the Harbor Freights. Lots of shitty Chinese tools with basically the same prices and no selection. I bought a bunch of hole saws this weekend and most of them burned out on the first hole. It was the only "choice" in HD.

8. J.A.C

J.A.C NES Member

Sucks all those people will lose their jobs right before the Holidays. I rarely ever speak to someone at HD and I go all the time. At best they might know what aisle the item is you are looking for but ask anything about the item itself and you might as well stare at the item and ask it the same question.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

While it is different now, I got hosed by the old Rigid (should be called flaccid) battery tools. Battery gave out and there was no replacing it except at a cost so high that I'd just get another drill. "Sorry" was all I got. "Warranty doesn't cover batteries."

Threw the tool away. Bought name brand. Six months later, they start life-timing their batteries. Gee, I wonder why?

They can suck it, Trebeck!

10. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Interest rates are rising, due to the Fed. So new home starts will dwindle. So a Lowes store that is marginal, is going to have a hard time making a go of it in the next year or two.

Its just common sense...prune the tree when you SEE the limb is damaged.

11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

They are ALL like that. How the heck can a tiny lithium battery made in China cost $99. ??? You KNOW it should be about $20, and you would be ok with them raping you a full $40. But 99 bux????

And the battery you have is probably FINE, but a little out of balance, so the charger is refusing to charge it.

12. drgrant

I refuse to buy power tools at HD or Blowes. There's a local guy that's pretty competitive that has like 2 or 3 lines of stuff...

Adams tool and nail-
    Home

The 36V makita saw I bought from them cost a little more than the HD price, but it came with 2 more batteries... so it more than offset the "savings". Plus the guys that work there actually know WTF they're talking about, which helps.

-Mike

13. qqac

qqac

It's funny though. Every time I go to a big box store, I see a lot of contractor vehicles in the parking lot, everything from landscapers to finish carpenters specializing in "fine cabinetry" and woodworking. Especially true when there is a Black Friday type sale.

W.E.C likes this.
  14. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Seems to be a corporate trend, perhaps to clear the books for the following tax year? When DEC had their first big layoff of engineering folks, we got the word the first week of December, 8000 of us were laid off at that time, mostly folks 40 yo and older who were top earners in their groups.

15. RHJJ

RHJJ

Notice I said professionals, not just people in business.

16. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Was going to post pretty much this. My rule of thumb is if I need some advice on something technical, I find the oldest guy I can find there and ask him. A good amount of the time he's a retired tradesman trying to stay active. Other than that, anyone else working there is good for telling me which aisle stuff is in and thats about it. I dont hate on them too much, mostly theyre just somebody that needs a job and you cant expect them to pick up a whole lot of trade related knowledge working there, but if youre needing any kind of project related advice youre going to be SOL mostly.

17. boscru

boscru NES Member

is this related to the airplane crappy service thread???

18. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

When will they close the Dedhma Lowes?

That place is a dump with only 2 cash registers.
    Cant find anyone. I think at any point they have 5 employees for the entire store.
    Their tool selection is close to 0.

HD is 100 times better. More products.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  19. sschevy

sschevy Instructor Dealer NES Member

I do 0% of my shopping online and don’t seem to have that problem, from auto parts to household items I’ve found local places that can get whatever I need at competitive pricing and in some cases better pricing

20. BigTimber

BigTimber NES Member

Yes and no. I see plenty of my fellow pros at HD. I love my local yard but I’m not passing a homedope for screws or Sheetrock to go to my fav lumber yard. So I’d say it’s more 50/50. Wood, forget it. Hockey stick Central with the indoor lumberyard.