Low-Recoil shells through semi-auto Shotgun

Hey guys, did some searching and havn’t really found much of anything regarding my specific question. My dilemma is I have a rescue dog who’s insanely smart, points at every squirrel and bird he see’s, does great off leash and he’s getting better every day but isn’t the biggest fan of sudden loud noises, he’s come a long way and after hearing some other people shoot their guns off in the distance while in the pheasant fields a bit he might be ready to start shooting over him. Now as much as I want to I can’t really afford a smaller gauge shotgun rite now so I’m stuck with my 12 ga mossberg 930 and I bought some Winchester low-noise/low-recoil ammo, which brings FPS down to 950, now I have no problem pulling the bolt back everytime cause I know it most likely wont cycle. What I am wondering is, is shooting these rounds damaging unsafe or bad for my gun? Will the half cycle of my gun cause any damage or malfunction over time? Thanks in advance guys!

Sometimes the lower recoil won't cycle the action but that will not damage the gun.

A good way to expose the pup to gunfire is go to a trap shoot. Maybe park out of sight but within earshot and sit in the car with the pup and see if there is any negative reaction. Then move to the parking lot by the action but still staying in the car. If still all positive, then outside by the car, eventually walking or stand behind the shoot. This way it stays very controlled and you can really gauge where the dog is at comfort wise. If all is good, then see what they do when you are pulling the trigger, but would recommend the dog stay on a long check cord initially.

Good luck

No - it’s not going to do any damage to your gun. As you and boilermaker above note, it may not cycle the action completely, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t. If it does, it’s time to clean your gun.

I don’t know squat about training a dog to hunt, but I wouldn’t mind training my Golden puppy.

No damage to the gun (but not ideal for hunting, unless you get them with the first shot, every time [laugh])

I set my A5 for heavy loads, and shoot light loads in Trap events - I have to cycle it manually, but it sucks up the recoil.

As for habituating your dog...my Pomeranian loves the word "Range." He does not GAF about the noise, and has been known to sit between my feet, when I'm on the line. [laugh]

Thanks for the quick response guys and good advice! At least I can practice with some clays (i’m sure i’ll have to change my lead a bit) first and not have to worry about any damage.

Thanks for the quick response guys and good advice! At least I can practice with some clays (i’m sure i’ll have to change my lead a bit) first and not have to worry about any damage.

Don't think about changing your lead. Thinking is the Enemy of the Trap Shooter. Just do it.

One thing about getting the dog comfortable: I've found out that if you try to comfort them, they feel that there's something to be worried about - just ignore the shooting, and the dog will pick up on your vibes, at least in my experience. I've had three Poms that were fine at the range.

One thing about getting the dog comfortable: I've found out that if you try to comfort them, they feel that there's something to be worried about - just ignore the shooting, and the dog will pick up on your vibes, at least in my experience. I've had three Poms that were fine at the range.

I second this opinion. They cue off you, the pack leader, so if you aren't worried they tend not be worried.

Don't think about changing your lead. Thinking is the Enemy of the Trap Shooter. Just do it.

Can confirm. His current one likes to walk out in front of the line while people are shooting. [laugh]

They won't hurt your gun but will probably still be too loud if the dog is gun shy. It will take some work starting with a .22 rifle. If you're unfamiliar with the process, consult a professional trainer.

A guy I have duck hunted with trained his dog to gun fire with 22 blanks while he was eating. I believe the book he said he used was called gun dog

try the book "water dog" or "field dog" by wolters on amazon, old books GREAT training information, or what i have done, fire light rounds while the dogs mind is engaged they will soon disregard the noise

Thanks again guys, just bought the “gun dog” book by Wolters per Sprakey’s recommendation should be along the same line of training. From what i’ve read i’m sure my personal beliefs will differ from his but i hope to learn allot of great techniques that even if those don’t work with my current dog, I want to invest in an actual bird dog of some kind next so the knowledge wont go to waste.

Just for anyone that wanted to know, shot the gun with the low recoil shells, allot quitter but not 50% (like the box advertises), and the gun cycled fine every time, I did buy some shotgun blanks for training purposes and the book seems to be full of useful training info and has already answered several questions. Thanks again for all the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom