• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Low profile (co-witness) red dot for Mossberg MVP Scout

Anyone with that model rifle, here is my goal and question: I want to mount a low-profile red dot, absolute co-witness orientation, directly forward of the existing rear peep sight. Has anyone else done this, and how did it work out?

What sights do you have now? Factory sights are very very low ? Does the MVP come with a see through base? If not I don't think you will find anything low enough to even see the sights through the optic. Is there provisions to mount anything forward of the rear sight?
If your looking for quick use of irons for back up you need "see through " style rings. Or use a quick detach set up on the optic.

Your most likely going to need to find sights that co witness with the optic...like a set of A2 style BUIS

Last edited:
What sights do you have now? Factory sights are very very low ? Does the MVP come with a see through base? If not I don't think you will find anything low enough to even see the sights through the optic. Is there provisions to mount anything forward of the rear sight?
If your looking for quick use of irons for back up you need "see through " style rings. Or use a quick detach set up on the optic.

Your most likely going to need to find sights that co witness with the optic...like a set of A2 style BUIS

The rifle comes with fixed, open, sights. Rear sight is mounted as far back in the p-rail as it can be and is very low. The optic will need to be mounted between the rear and front sight, unless I choose to move the rear sight. I've also considered replacing the existing rear sight with a more "ar-15" style rear. Regardless of what I do, I will be spending time @ the range with someone who i more familiar with rifles than I. It'll be great fun. :)

ETA: I am not unfamiliar with rifles, I have owned several in the past, but this is my first scout style which will carry both a red-dot and iron sights. Hence, the learning curve.

The ghost ring set up is pretty good set up on the scout. For its intended use.
You will need to find a mount/ base for a front sight that will be tall enough to co witness with the lowest red dot you can find.
!earn to shoot your ghost rings zero the sights for point of aim point of impact at 50 yards this will give you hits on target out to 300 yards or so.
If you must have a red dot or scout scope. Mount it on a QD set up and if you need to ditch it its easy to come off.

The ghost ring set up is pretty good set up on the scout. For its intended use.
You will need to find a mount/ base for a front sight that will be tall enough to co witness with the lowest red dot you can find.
!earn to shoot your ghost rings zero the sights for point of aim point of impact at 50 yards this will give you hits on target out to 300 yards or so.
If you must have a red dot or scout scope. Mount it on a QD set up and if you need to ditch it its easy to come off.

Thanks. The rear sight should be fine?

Back
Top Bottom