• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Low flash powder for 9mm

So I am looking for a load for 9mm that has lower flash* than what I presently shoot**. I am thinking low powder charge with a fast powder would be the best way to accomplish that, such as titegroup with a 147.

Has anyone used a similar burn rate powder (like IMR target, Alliant Sport Pistol or bullseye) with 147s? Any noticeable change in flash? Anyone use "flash suppressed" powders like silhoutee, BE-86? Thanks

*Yes, I think lowering the flash might help me, it made a difference with my 223 AR when I put a J-comp on it. I no longer blink when firing with it, and can maintain follow through way better.

**115gr w/ 4.3gr bullseye, 115w/ 5.2 Power pistol, 147gr w/4.0 Power pistol, all out of a 5.25" barrel

I've only experimented with TG and N320 for 9mm and I can say that N320 is not a flashy powder. I'd imagine Bullseye isn't very flashy but I only have experience with Bullseye in 38 spl and 44 spl. Sorry I'm not much help lol.

BE-86. Great powder with a wide loading range based on what I have tried. My understanding is that is has a flash suppressant added to it. I am loading it at 4.6 grains and an OAL of 1.110. I have taken it to 5.2 grains and I have seen loads up to 5.6 or more, but I do not recall the OAL. There is a huge thread on it on Thehighroad.com. Look for the spreadsheet. I made it. I started compiling everybody's BE-86 loads. Pete

have you tried CFE Pistol? My 9's love it with 124gr and I haven't noticed any flash. Haven't tried it with 147s tho

I've used a lot of BE-86 in the past year for 9mm, 45 Auto and 357 Magnum. Very versatile powder in all these calibers.

I originally bought BE-86 to load 10mm. So far it has also worked well in .44 magnum, .44 special, .45 colt and .45 acp. I plan to try it in 9mm, .38 special and .357 magnum. I can't use it in every handgun caliber I shoot but that can be said of any smokeless powder I use.

Back
Top Bottom