• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Low Capacity AR.

CMF

I am a UK citizen and US permanent resident, with a Resident Alien firearms permit that limits me to owning low capacity rifles.

I would like to shoot an AR-type rifle. As far as I can tell, the Bushmaster Carbon-15 Top Loader is a low capacity rifle under MA law. This gun has a permanently sealed mag well holding a 10 round mag and to load it you have to pull the rear takedown pin and rotate the upper. It was designed to be legal under the CA "assault weapon" law, but I think it qualifies as an MA low capacity weapon as well because its capacity cannot be modified to exceed 10 rounds. I don't think it can ever be an "assault weapon" under the MA law, because it does not have a detachable magazine, but I would remove the flash hider to reduce the number of "features" to two (pistol grip, telestock) to avoid any possible problems.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this? Before I invest time and money in buying the rifle, I would like to find out if I am taking any risk of legal problems. Please let me know your thoughts or opinions.

If this doesn't work out, I guess I will be shooting a bolt action or perhaps a Marlin Model 60 for the next five years until I can become a citizen. Much better than nothing, but I would prefer the AR...

Where do you live? State/area/region? The reason I ask is that:

a. Someone may have one or something similar and may offer to take you shooting.

b. Someone may have ideas about where or when to purchase it that may be more or less relevant depending on your locality.

It isn't listed on the Large Capacity roster. However, you might have a hard time finding a store that will sell it to you.

With a fixed magazine of 10 rounds capacity, it can be neither a "large capacity" firearm nor an "assault weapon," regardless of bayo lug, flash hider or anything else.

CMF

You may be the only person i know on this forum who holds an Alien permit (FID) like me. I am also limited to non large capacity guns.

I would suggest you checking in with http://www.mcelhineys-guns.com/ in Waltham. He sold me a Remington 597 semi auto .22 before (which is perfectly legal although some dealers wont sell those types to FID holders)

About the bushmaster, it sounds very legal for FID. If its not in the roster and if factory doesnt come with >10 round mags, it is fine. Do a search on "large capacity" "high capacity" "FID capacity" and you will find long threads on what is OK for FID people.

With a fixed magazine of 10 rounds capacity, it can be neither a "large capacity" firearm nor an "assault weapon," regardless of bayo lug, flash hider or anything else.

The Carbon-15 pistol is listed on the Large Capacity roster as are many other AR variants, but this model isn't specifically listed, nor would it fall under the definitions of such a firearm.

Oddly enough, the one alien resident permit I was involved with was for a Brookline resident.

CMF

You may be the only person i know on this forum who holds an Alien permit (FID) like me. I am also limited to non large capacity guns.

I would suggest you checking in with http://www.mcelhineys-guns.com/ in Waltham. He sold me a Remington 597 semi auto .22 before (which is perfectly legal although some dealers wont sell those types to FID holders)

About the bushmaster, it sounds very legal for FID. If its not in the roster and if factory doesnt come with >10 round mags, it is fine. Do a search on "large capacity" "high capacity" "FID capacity" and you will find long threads on what is OK for FID people.

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the recommendations, I will follow them up.

It wouldn't surprise me that many people are put off getting the Resident Alien permit by the amount of money and work involved for a yearly renewal. I didn't get one immediately after I moved here from CA for that reason, but then I missed shooting too much and the rental ranges weren't enough. Unfortunately the Brookline PD requires me to get a CORI check before they will write a letter to go with the application to the state police, even though this duplicates what the state will do, so that adds more money and time on top of everything else. Still worth it, though!

Unfortunately the Brookline PD requires me to get a CORI check before they will write a letter to go with the application to the state police, even though this duplicates what the state will do, so that adds more money and time on top of everything else. Still worth it, though!

Thus dissuading many from applying.

Which, being Brookline, IS the desired outcome. [puke]

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the recommendations, I will follow them up.

It wouldn't surprise me that many people are put off getting the Resident Alien permit by the amount of money and work involved for a yearly renewal. I didn't get one immediately after I moved here from CA for that reason, but then I missed shooting too much and the rental ranges weren't enough. Unfortunately the Brookline PD requires me to get a CORI check before they will write a letter to go with the application to the state police, even though this duplicates what the state will do, so that adds more money and time on top of everything else. Still worth it, though!

yes, getting an alien permit was a lot of work...Although we get the old school type FID slips (as opposed to cards) I was very happy when I got my first one.

Same here, the Watertown PD requires a background check before they issue their letter to go with my application.

Btw, I called the CHSB today and it is about time for us Aliens to send in our renewals for 2009 so dont procrastinate! They said new applicants AND renewals still take 6-10 weeks (Loooong time).

I would agree that the Carbon 15 is a low capacity firearm. There is no way to put more than 10 rounds in that rifle. Your typical MA gun store isn't going to want to deal with you though. You'll either need to call around (a lot) or try to find one through legal "face to face" transaction. A better option would be buying one out of state. I believe this is legal for rifles (not handguns) as long as it is legal in your state of residence. So maybe you can get one in a free state like NH or VT.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom