Loudest Milsurp Rifle?

Probably a pretty subjective question, also depends on cartridge, where you are standing, etc. That being said what is the loudest Milsurp rifle you have ever shot?

My current nomination is the SVT-40

most of the shorter barrel firearms in 7.62x54r are loud. even with double ears, plugs and muffs. M44 carbine and as TFL stated SVT are frikn loud

Its the muzzle brakes on the Hakim and SVT40 that make them seem louder.

If we're talking readily available rifles, I'd say the Russian carbines (M44, M38, M91/59) hands down.

my m44 is pretty loud i think my 1917 thats sporterized and had the barrel chopped to around 20 inches gives its a run for its money though.

Actually I feel an AR15 with JP comp is the loudest mill surplus rifle. If you're talking about obnoxious, ear piercing annoying loud.

For thunderous cannon sounding loud I've always liked the 8mm Mauser.

Last edited:
7.35 Carcano had a thunder to it...everyone on the range including my shooting partner gave me the WTF stare...and to seal the deal refused to shoot it even once..Refered to with a perverse mixture of fear and awe as the Ginny Gun...

Old Joe

Try any one of the Mauser carbines in 8MM. Guy at the range had one of the Persian calvary (sp) carbines ( actually camel ) with Port. 198 grain loads in it. Damn that thing had some shock and awe to it, even beating one of the Mosin carbines for ommph!

Joe r.

A friend of mine who handloads for the 7.62 X54 and his M59 will make the earth move. Literally.

If you have ever been to Sparky's in Webster, he has a couple of guns mounted on his wall that the owners jazzed up the loads and moved the earth as well as the receiver and various other gun parts. [sad]

M-44 @ in the afternoon. Nice fire ball. I love the question "is that a .50 cal" i wish!

Last NES Milsurp shoot. I had my Mosin M44, 7.35 Carcano, 8mm Mauser, Steyr M95 carbine and an M1 Garand. I fired them one after another.
The M44 was in the lead but the Steyr left a concussion that made people on a crowded firing line go "WTF was that?"

Last NES Milsurp shoot. I had my Mosin M44, 7.35 Carcano, 8mm Mauser, Steyr M95 carbine and an M1 Garand. I fired them one after another.
The M44 was in the lead but the Steyr left a concussion that made people on a crowded firing line go "WTF was that?"

May be only one way to settle this.

If we do wind up with another shoot at Mansfield, I'll bring an M59 Mosin, M44 Mosin, M95 Steyr, Hakim, and an 8mm Mauser and suggest anyone else that goes do the same. Then we can have volley fires and with the help of people attending we'll determine which rifle is the loudest.

I know years ago I suggested an M44 volley fire at an NES car shoot at the Westwood gun club. There had to be about 20 or 30 people on the line with Mosin carbines and eveyone fired on command. Everyone said it was one of the loudest things they'd ever heard.

If you watch the grass on the ground infront of the bench when t6he egyptian hakim sounds off this behemoth rocks the range. My m44 russian barks too. I didn't think the svt-40 was that loud.

Back
Top Bottom