Loud Explosion Reported In Stow

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member

I wonder if the Collings Foundation was testing an artillery piece. Headscratch.gif

they were talking about it this morning (wed) on Fox news 25.
they were not sure, but listed earthquate, meteor, etc....and kind of implied they would be hunting down the real reason.

they were not sure, but listed earthquate, meteor, etc....and kind of implied they would be hunting down the real reason.
Meteor popping off is the most likely. I was awake & heard it. Was kinda hoping it was an ANG zoomie pushing the giggle lever to “fast” - alas, no zoomits were having fun.

friggen autocorrect wants to turn zoomies into zombie.

Yeah big discussion in Sudbury.
The leafblower comment at the bottom relates to a nutbag in the town that has been bitching about gas leafblowers causing the demise of the world on a daily basis.

SUDBURY BOOM 2021 MEGATHREAD: the official megathread for neighbors to discuss the boom of 2021. Consolidate research here.

11/18 Update:

* event in question happened at 10:08pm on 11/17. It is being characterized as a large boom or an "explosion" (LISTEN HERE: https://nextdoor.com/p/DFqS9Dkx4W5g/c/687517382, and LISTEN HERE: around ~30 sec mark: https://ring.com/.../11e11591-0287-48e0-b63c-536c4ab8b641...). The force of explosion "shook houses" and "rattled windows"

• reports came from Sudbury, Marlborough, Maynard, Hudson, Framingham, Acton and Harvard

- the event in question included a flash of light, in the direction of south/southeast of Stow, towards Sudbury. This may be significant as this direction would rule out Devens. (WATCH HERE: https://nextdoor.com/p/DFqS9Dkx4W5g/c/687517382...)

• running list of possible explanations: seismic activity and associated earthquake lightning (however USGS reports no earthquakes occurred) . Leonid meteor shower. Devens (but does Devens do demo at 10pm?)

Notes from 11/17:

11:52 - the flash of light, which may have preceded the explosion, was seen in sky east of Bolton (towards Sudbury).

11:34 - best recorded footage in Amy L. Hansen's nest cam video in comments below (listen to audio around 30 seconds. No visual confirmation)

11:30 - visual confirmation of flash in the sky (see before and after below) (h/t Sunny Reinitz)

10:46 - reports of Devens demolition scheduled between 11/14 - 11/24

10:44 - possible 3.2 magnitude activity, possibly east of Sudbury

10:37 - reports of "explosion" in Hudson, Stow, Maynard, Harvard, Marlboro, etc.

Posted 10:33 - Unconfirmed quake or seismic-like event reported at 10:16pm - h/t to Heidi C

10:31 - Devens has no scheduled activity on 11/17

10:28 - possibly Devens related? Flyer mentions rotor wings which would explain helicopter reports

Loud "explosion" heard and felt in both N. And S. parts of town, as far west as stow

Multiple reports of one, single "explosion"

Possible bright flash

Multiple reports of possible meteor activity

Houses shaking / windows rattling

Multiple comments identifying the site at towards Town Center

Possible helicopter like sound after boom?

No confirmed reports on whether this is or isn't leaf blower related

Last edited:
Meteor popping off is the most likely. I was awake & heard it. Was kinda hoping it was an ANG zoomie pushing the giggle lever to “fast” - alas, no zoomits were having fun.

friggen autocorrect wants to turn zoomies into zombie.
Zoomies? OR Foo Fighters???

Sigh

From the Globe:

“All of a sudden I head this boom, I mean it was very loud, and I looked at my husband and said what the [expletive] was that,’’ said Lisa Marie Boyce, who lives in Maynard. “I was scared; it sounded like an explosion. We just had a house explode in Maynard a couple of months ago, so obviously that was my first inkling of what was going on.’’ Local police departments — in what appears to be a 20-mile radius in the area of Maynard, Stow, Acton, Ayer, Sudbury, and Bolton — investigated the noise after some were flooded with concerned reports about the noise. They turned up nothing.

i mean, WTF people, you were so pussified that you “flooded” 911 because you heard a noise that sounded like thunder.

Do I need to buy you all a f***ing teddy bear and a blankie?
Jesus f***ing Christ. Grow some.

Well, hope these guys ain't pulling off shit to distract us again, always the bad news everyday on TV lately...

Sigh

From the Globe:

“All of a sudden I head this boom, I mean it was very loud, and I looked at my husband and said what the [expletive] was that,’’ said Lisa Marie Boyce, who lives in Maynard. “I was scared; it sounded like an explosion. We just had a house explode in Maynard a couple of months ago, so obviously that was my first inkling of what was going on.’’ Local police departments — in what appears to be a 20-mile radius in the area of Maynard, Stow, Acton, Ayer, Sudbury, and Bolton — investigated the noise after some were flooded with concerned reports about the noise. They turned up nothing.

i mean, WTF people, you were so pussified that you “flooded” 911 because you heard a noise that sounded like thunder.

People call 911 for everything and anything. You would be absolutely shocked at the amount of stupid that gets called in on daily basis. I don't what half of society would do if there was some major disruption and everything was shut down for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I think if this were to happen we would collapse as a society.

People call 911 for everything and anything. You would be absolutely shocked at the amount of stupid that gets called in on daily basis. I don't what half of society would do if there was some major disruption and everything was shut down for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I think if this were to happen we would collapse as a society.
Exactly. Just think of the amounts of snitching and bitching PM’s the Mods/Admin get HERE on NES, then multiply that by 100K a day for the 911 nancy’s. Mind boggling the level of fear most of society lives in.

is sue mennencke an expert in atomic explosions? she said that's what it sounded like. i'm no expert in earthquakes but it didn't sound like what i'd expect an earthquake to sound like. although in 1976 or around then give or take a year, i was visiting friends in california, walnut creek, california to be exact, and there was a small quake. i was in a vacant lot outside my vehicle and it sounded like a low rumble. kind of like distant rolling thunder we hear sometimes from a far away storm. for sure not an explosion like was on the video. yeah, there was minor trembling under foot. from my experience i'd rule out earthquake. i know, i know, hardly a scientific hypothesis.

Moodus noises, man; Moodus noises.

they ... kind of implied they would be hunting down the real reason.
hqdefault.jpg

5ut81x.jpg

“Bring it”

this cesspit needs a good clean out.

Sigh

From the Globe:

Lol. When I hear a big explosion around home, I'm like cool, neighbors sound like they are having fun, I wonder what they are blowing up and why didn't they invite me?? If their booms are big enough, I'll step outside to help absorb the vibrations from the shock waves.

Yeah big discussion in Sudbury.
The leafblower comment at the bottom relates to a nutbag in the town that has been bitching about gas leafblowers causing the demise of the world on a daily basis.

SUDBURY BOOM 2021 MEGATHREAD: the official megathread for neighbors to discuss the boom of 2021. Consolidate research here.

11/18 Update:

* event in question happened at 10:08pm on 11/17. It is being characterized as a large boom or an "explosion" (LISTEN HERE: https://nextdoor.com/p/DFqS9Dkx4W5g/c/687517382, and LISTEN HERE: around ~30 sec mark: https://ring.com/.../11e11591-0287-48e0-b63c-536c4ab8b641...). The force of explosion "shook houses" and "rattled windows"

• reports came from Sudbury, Marlborough, Maynard, Hudson, Framingham, Acton and Harvard

- the event in question included a flash of light, in the direction of south/southeast of Stow, towards Sudbury. This may be significant as this direction would rule out Devens. (WATCH HERE: https://nextdoor.com/p/DFqS9Dkx4W5g/c/687517382...)

• running list of possible explanations: seismic activity and associated earthquake lightning (however USGS reports no earthquakes occurred) . Leonid meteor shower. Devens (but does Devens do demo at 10pm?)

Notes from 11/17:

11:52 - the flash of light, which may have preceded the explosion, was seen in sky east of Bolton (towards Sudbury).

11:34 - best recorded footage in Amy L. Hansen's nest cam video in comments below (listen to audio around 30 seconds. No visual confirmation)

11:30 - visual confirmation of flash in the sky (see before and after below) (h/t Sunny Reinitz)

10:46 - reports of Devens demolition scheduled between 11/14 - 11/24

10:44 - possible 3.2 magnitude activity, possibly east of Sudbury

10:37 - reports of "explosion" in Hudson, Stow, Maynard, Harvard, Marlboro, etc.

Posted 10:33 - Unconfirmed quake or seismic-like event reported at 10:16pm - h/t to Heidi C

10:31 - Devens has no scheduled activity on 11/17

10:28 - possibly Devens related? Flyer mentions rotor wings which would explain helicopter reports

Loud "explosion" heard and felt in both N. And S. parts of town, as far west as stow

Multiple reports of one, single "explosion"

Possible bright flash

Multiple reports of possible meteor activity

Houses shaking / windows rattling

Multiple comments identifying the site at towards Town Center

Possible helicopter like sound after boom?

No confirmed reports on whether this is or isn't leaf blower related
Devens does not do demo at night. Sometimes mortar fire will run late, but that wouldn’t be a single boom. Usually only the beautiful people of Lancaster hear that anyway.

Always a favorite is going to a broken pipe in the middle of the night. I usually just shut off the main. Then they look at us like aren't you guys going to fix the leaking pipe. The shock when I tell them to call a plumber. We solved your temporary emergency. I just can't get past the fact that people will call 911 for leaking pipe and then expect someone to come out from either police or fire and expect to get there pipe fixed.

Not related but neighbor blew engine in wood chipper next door, i tackled my 3 year old daughter in the middle of the yard for cover. It was louder than the meteor we had 2 months ago.

Did the previous owners of great road firearms leave the tank out front? Maybe they were trying it out.

You don't have to look far to see that loud booms have been heard in many places over the years. Here in Nashua, we had a boom that woke us and our neighbors up at around 2 AM. Later, I spoke with local police hanging outside a school board meeting and they knew nothing.
Some go so far as to speculate that the sounds originate in tunneling for deep underground bases or such. There are a lot of web sites devoted to "secret" underground activities.
Still, loud booms have been heard and no explanation given. There there was the "Taos hum" sound that went on in New Mexico for months. Mystery booms 2020 - Updated list of loud booms in 2020 - Strange Sounds

Sounds like an "atomic bomb"? How many people on planet earth have ever heard an atom bomb go off?
Fewer every year, but in the 1950's, soldiers and tourists alike witnessed A-bomb tests in Nevada and elsewhere. A friend of mine was testing seismic detection devices on a US Government contract and was knocked over by the ground shock from a bomb test.

Last edited:
Not related but neighbor blew engine in wood chipper next door, i tackled my 3 year old daughter in the middle of the yard for cover. It was louder than the meteor we had 2 months ago.

Did the previous owners of great road firearms leave the tank out front? Maybe they were trying it out.

Do 3 year old girls make good cover?

Back
Top Bottom