• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lost my LTC card, need advice...

So I'm at a gun shop and leave my LTC on the counter when I leave. The place is a good hour from me and by the time they call me to tell me they have it, I'm almost home. They nicely offer to mail it to me and it never comes.... They sent it, but it got lost in the mail!

Ive called my local police department today and left a message so someone can explain to me what I need to do to get a duplicate, but of course, no one returned my call today.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for getting a duplicate?

I believe you have it right. You call your PD, who then re issues another one. DCJIS of course prints it, and mails it to the PD, then you go and pick it up. Or maybe they mail it to you.

http://www.goal.org/Documents/501CMR9.pdf

501 CMR: EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF PUBLIC SAFETY
501 CMR 9.00: REPLACEMENT FIREARM LICENSES
Section
9.01: Purpose
9.02: Lost or Stolen Firearm Identification Card or License to Carry
9.03: Severability Clause
9.01: Purpose
The purpose of 501 CMR 9.00 is to establish a process for the replacement of a lost or stolen firearm identification card or license to carry at no cost to the licensee.
9.02: Lost or Stolen Firearm Identification Card or License to Carry
In the case of a lost or stolen firearm license issued pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c 140, §§ 129B, 131, 131F or 131H, the licensing authority shall issue a newlicense atno costto the license holder. A person seeking a license under 501 CMR 9.00 must have an active and valid license and must have reported such license lost or stolen to the CriminalHistorySystemsBoard and to the local issuing licensing authority prior to seeking a new license. In connection with an application for a new license to replace the lost or stolen license, thelicensingauthorityshallconfirm the applicant’s identity and update its files as the licensing authority deems necessary prior to issuing a new license. The licensing authority, in consultation with the Criminal History Systems Board, shall issue a new license with a term coterminous with the original license period.
9.03: Severability Clause
If any article, section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase of 501 CMR 9.00 is for any reason held to be unconstitutional, contrary to statute, in excess of the authority of the Secretary of Public Safety or otherwise inoperative, such decision shall not affect the validityofanyother article, section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase of 501 CMR 9.00.
REGULATORY AUTHORITY
501 CMR 9.00: M.G.L. c. 140, § 131(r).
501 CMR: EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF PUBLIC SAFETY
NON-TEXT

Does anyone know what the procedure is for getting a duplicate?

You must first notify DCJIS and the original issuing authority of the loss.

A free duplicate license can then be obtained from your issuing authority.

501 CMR 9.00 said:
In the case of a lost or stolen firearm license issued pursuant to the provisions of M.G.L. c 140, §§ 129B, 131, 131F or 131H, the licensing authority shall issue a new license at no cost to the license holder. A person seeking a license under 501 CMR 9.00 must have an active and valid license and must have reported such license lost or stolen to the Criminal History Systems Board and to the local issuing licensing authority prior to seeking a new license. In connection with an application for a new license to replace the lost or stolen license, the licensing authority shall confirm the applicant’s identity and update its files as the licensing authority deems necessary prior to issuing a new license. The licensing authority, in consultation with the Criminal History Systems Board, shall issue a new license with a term coterminous with the original license period.

http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/501CMR9.pdf

ETA: I see Tater beat me to it.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I have since moved from the town I was originally issue my LTC in. I guess I'll call the Feds first, then the old town chief?

Just ask them to mail it to you. They may do it a no cost. You have nothing to lose before you start the replacement process.

My thoughts only.

The same happened to me about 6 months ago... I called and left a message for the licensing officer and he will cancel the number/card and have them submit a new one with new number etc. It was about a week and a half process for a new one to arrive at the department...

Good luck and hope this helps, its a sucky situation...

I guess I'll call the Feds first...

No, not the "Feds". You must contact the Massachusetts DCJIS (formerly the CHSB).

...then the old town chief?

Yes, The Chief or his/her designee (e.g. Licensing Officer), who will issue a duplicate license.

i think you can still carry if you dont have the physical license, the police will just have to run a BOP.

I wouldn't suggest it.

Case law (Comm v. Jones) has held that possession in the absence of a license is grounds for arrest and prosecution.

Further, the burden of proof is borne by the defendant (i.e. production of a valid license, or proof thereof, is an affirmative defense).

Was the address on the LTC your old address? Maybe that's where the shop mailed it.
If you moved to a different town, and its not a green town, the LO might hit you with a restricted license. Or vice versa.

Was the address on the LTC your old address? Maybe that's where the shop mailed it.
If you moved to a different town, and its not a green town, the LO might hit you with a restricted license. Or vice versa.

Has that ever happened to anyone on here? Moving, and then having their un-restricted LTC downgraded? Seems like that would be very easy to overturn once you have held an un-restricted LTC in good standing.

I know the folks at my old address. It's not there. Plus, I just transferred a gun the day I left it, so they had my current address.

For all those wondering, I finally got a hold of someone at the state. He told me I had to contact the town first, then they would take care of the rest. He also said my new home town could take care of it, even though they didn't issue it. He lied.... At least about the last part.

Working on trying to contact the old town issuing officer. Left a message for him today.

Back
Top Bottom