• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lost gun, found...Police Investigating

I found a nice pistol, complete with case at the range one day. The owner did not know it was missing until I called him. He left the paperwork from the gun shop in the case.

Was he nice enough to leave some ammo with it, so you could try it out before returning it?

I opened my safe last week went to grab my 870, it wasn't there.
My heart sank.
I hadn't used it in 5 or so months. Thought long and hard on where it could be and the last I used it.
Called my cousin and it was sitting in his safe from the last time we went hunting.
PHEWF!

That feeling though, was horrible. For a few minutes, in my head, I lost my precious 870!

Feces occurs...

I left a $6,000.00 lens on a gravestone once. Didn't realize it until midnight and I was at work. Convinced a coworker to come back in to cover me...Drove to Stockbridge in a panic. It started to rain, (which is no big deal - it's a nice lens). Wandered through the graveyard for about 20 minutes and bam - there it was. Left a 1911 at the range once too. Big shooting day - lots of guns and I simply forgot it. Didn't make it to the gate before I remembered and went back for it. Ooopsie..
Like I said: feces - it does occur...

Last year I went to the range after not being able to go for over a month. I was so excited to go that I brought everything except the case full of pistols I had intended on shooting. [laugh]

Guy in the story probably bought it at the Powderhorn which is right around the corner. Mark is probably on his way to get it into his bonded warehouse as we speak! [rolleyes]

Can anyone say "Unsuitable"? I'm guessing that's what will happen to this owner.

Unless the owner is a police officer, in which case this will be considered an honest accident that could have happened to anyone.

it was found in a good quality newer holster…
This is why I never carry with a holster that clips over the belt. My belt mounted carry holster (Mitch Rosen) is one where the belt must be threaded through the loop on the holster. Just too much chance of the clips coming undone or breaking.

Or one of several cops in Florida. This is one but there are 3 others I saw in the google search for 'florida cop leaves gun in bathroom'. A 9 yr old found it in the bathroom. No charges, just a little department slap.

http://archive.wtsp.com/rss/article/330187/8/Detective-demoted-left-loaded-gun-in-theater-bathroom

Hell when a Plymouth Ma officer did the same thing, last year at a fast food place, not only did he not get in trouble but... The PPD had the nerve to send out letters to LTC holders in the state reminding them to be mindful of their firearms and to always know where they are etc... [rolleyes]

It is a shame they don't have a gun registry there. If they did they could easily get the gun back to it's owner... <sarc>

Shouldn't they be able to find out the based on the FA-10's? Unless it is an undocumented gun, in which case they can let it go free like other undocumented things.

Better question is what kind of special do you need to be lose a handgun unless its been stolen? I've been carrying almost daily since I get my LTC two years ago and my gun never leaves my holster unless I'm home playing with it.

You know you can go blind doing that.[laugh]

I admit I did it once. Left my new 1911 on the tool box of the truck and drove away. I heard it hit the pavement on the first corner and realized what I did.

It was in a case thankfully. If the windows had been up, I would not have heard it.

Back
Top Bottom