Lost FA10

I have been going through a lot of papers this weekend including all of my gun purchases and sales. In doing so, I noticed that one of my FA10s from a sale I had done some time ago is missing. I have searched my entire filing cabinet thinking that I had misfiled it with no luck. It is gone. I am freaking out a bit here because I won't be able to prove that I had sold the gun should anything ever happen.

I vaguely remember the person I sold the gun to but I have no idea how to get in touch with him.

What are my options? Can I call CHSB and ask for a copy of the form I sent it?

For $25 (used to be free), the CHSB will send you your acquisition history.

Thank you for the info but I am all set. Apparently I am experiencing an early onset of Alzheimer's as I found the form stapled to the back of the original invoice from when I purchased the gun. I spent 5 hours today looking for it. [rolleyes][frown]

Is there a law that says that you need to keep them? I know that you should, but is there anything requiring it? Also, if you sent the FA10 in, I'm sure they have a copy so you could say
"I sold it, check your records"

Is there a law that says that you need to keep them? I know that you should, but is there anything requiring it? Also, if you sent the FA10 in, I'm sure they have a copy so you could say
"I sold it, check your records"

Not only that, but I can't imagine a scenario where you'd be required to produce a particular gun or the FA10 to 'prove' you sold it. Even absent the legal requirement, I can't think of how not having an FA10 could come back and bite you.

Thank you for the info but I am all set. Apparently I am experiencing an early onset of Alzheimer's as I found the form stapled to the back of the original invoice from when I purchased the gun. I spent 5 hours today looking for it. [rolleyes][frown]

Happens to me all the time ... [grin]

Not only that, but I can't imagine a scenario where you'd be required to produce a particular gun or the FA10 to 'prove' you sold it. Even absent the legal requirement, I can't think of how not having an FA10 could come back and bite you.

If served with a 209A the fa10s may help with proof of sales.
I have always wondered how this was handled by L.E.?

Person A sells a gun to Person B and the FA-10 is mailed in.

FA-10 gets lost in the mail, CHSB employee uses it for scrap paper, the computer in Chelsea screws up, whatever, something happens and the transaction isn't entered.

6 months later Person B has the gun ripped off in a housebreak and doesn't report it, fearing he will lose his LTC. A year later, after changing hands 5 times from street thug to gangbanger, the gun is recovered at the scene of a homicide. Detectives plug the serial number into their computer and find the last registered owner to be Person A. They knock on Person A's door to ask about his gun.

Person A produces his copy of the FA-10. He is thanked for his time and the detectives go away.

-or-

Person A says he sold the gun a year and a half ago and filed all the paperwork but can produce no proof. He is now questioned extensively as to why "his" gun was found at a crime scene. His COP is having a bad day and decides that since Person A didn't keep good records and may or may not have filed an FA-10 he is no longer suitable for an LTC.

Far-fetched? Maybe. Impossible? Not in MA. Maybe it wouldn't "bite you" but if keeping good records can avoid a potential headache I'm all for it. I have a copy of EVERY FA-10 for EVERY gun I have bought, sold, or bought and then sold. One of these days I will scan them all as well and keep the image file somewhere safe.

I scan all of mine and put them on a disc in the safe.

I actually do this too, but I don't keep the paper copies. But I won't give them up without a warrant or a subpoena.

Person A sells a gun to Person B and the FA-10 is mailed in.

FA-10 gets lost in the mail, CHSB employee uses it for scrap paper, the computer in Chelsea screws up, whatever, something happens and the transaction isn't entered.

6 months later Person B has the gun ripped off in a housebreak and doesn't report it, fearing he will lose his LTC. A year later, after changing hands 5 times from street thug to gangbanger, the gun is recovered at the scene of a homicide. Detectives plug the serial number into their computer and find the last registered owner to be Person A. They knock on Person A's door to ask about his gun.

Person A produces his copy of the FA-10. He is thanked for his time and the detectives go away.
I'd be more concerned about being person B and failing to report a firearms theft. Ultimately, this scenario isn't my problem, I have no legal liability. I'd tell the popo my story and if they don't like it they can talk to my lawyer.

-or-

Person A says he sold the gun a year and a half ago and filed all the paperwork but can produce no proof. He is now questioned extensively as to why "his" gun was found at a crime scene. His COP is having a bad day and decides that since Person A didn't keep good records and may or may not have filed an FA-10 he is no longer suitable for an LTC.

Again, not my problem, I have complied with the law and it cannot be reasonablly suggested that I did not. My chief is going to revoke me for not saving receipts? Bring it on.

I wonder if LE even bothers checking with CHSB during 209A related seizures. The information isn't a reliable predictor of what guns a person may or may not have and wouldn't be that useful.

Finally, what does a copy of an FA10 prove if they CHSB doesn't have a record of if? I can fill one out, forge a buyer, and sign it. It's not like you get a stamped receipt back from CHSB when you mail one it.

The FA-10 is not an auditable, enforceable gun registration system. I won't don't treat it like it is.

I'd be more concerned about being person B and failing to report a firearms theft. Ultimately, this scenario isn't my problem, I have no legal liability. I'd tell the popo my story and if they don't like it they can talk to my lawyer.
Don't know about you but my lawyer doesn't work for free. Exoneration will come at a price, and I'd rather the price be that of a 3-ring binder and a couple CDROMs.

In any other state, you could have spent those 5 hours doing something fun. Doncha just love this p1$$hole of a state?

There is no requirement under MGL to keep or maintain any kind of records. Is it a good idea? Sure...and I do.... but it's not required by the law.

-Mike

Not really. Every time you sell a gun to a dealer, you don't get an FA 10... maybe a reciept from a dealer.... if you ask for it.

-Mike

can anyone help me fill one out? do I need the dealers signature if I bought my rifle out of state? do I need to fill in the dealer registration numbers if I don't have them?

Step One: READ THE DIRECTIONS!

Because you bought the rifle out of state, there is NO dealer information. It is purely a registration, which means only YOUR info and that for the gun is required.

Because you bought the rifle out of state, there is NO dealer information. It is purely a registration, which means only YOUR info and that for the gun is required.
this is my first gun from out of state, I did read the directions, this is why I had to ask...
Once again, I want to be absolutely sure that what I am doing is correct before submitting my paperwork...

Last edited:

this is my first gun from out of state, I did read the directions, this is why I had to ask...
Once again, I want to be absolutely sure that what I am doing is correct before submitting my paperwork...

edit:eek:ops double post sorry...

I did read the directions, this is why I had to ask...

Try the part that says "REGISTRATION" - it only has three (3) steps; how tough can it be?

YOUR info; the gun info, check "REGISTRATION." Not hard.

SELLER info is required ONLY for in-state transfers.

Note also that your post has nothing to do with a LOST FA-10 and that this entire thread is in the wrong section.

Had you checked the MA Laws section instead of adding to this thread, you might have found this:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...g-Sales-Purchases-Acquisitions-for-MA-FA-10-s

Stickies exist for a reason......

Last edited:
I understand that Keith, I just had to double check with someone as sarcastic as I am before I went ahead and filled it out!! Liek I said I have NEVER filled one out and wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom