• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lost a good one tonight.

So sorry for you loss. Losing a beloved pets is one of the hardest things in the world.
I immediately run out and adopt another needy one, it's the only thing that lessens the pain for me. Sparky is stretched out on my lap as I eat my breakfast and type this.

I told myself I’d need time before getting another. The house just feels so empty without something running around spreading f***ery unbeknownst to us.

I'm sorry for your loss. Even though we know going in that our pets aren't going to be with us forever, it's still tough when we lose one.

We lost our little guy "Moe" to kidney failure on May 1. He was doing fine, then suddenly he wasn't.

I'm sorry for your loss. Even though we know going in that our pets aren't going to be with us forever, it's still tough when we lose one.

We lost our little guy "Moe" to kidney failure on May 1. He was doing fine, then suddenly he wasn't.

Sorry to hear about your Moe. It’s that suddenness that’s always difficult. A few weeks ago she was as annoying as ever. At 17 nothing should be all that shocking, but there’s no amount of mental preparation one can do to fully prepare yourself.

Thanks. A friend of mine who has been through this four times with his various cats commented that cats can live 17-18 years, but their kidneys seem to fail after 15-16 years. We still have him, but only in an urn with his picture on the outside.

They really do become part of the family. We still have his sister and she certainly knows he's gone. Cats definitely mourn as well.

Sorry to hear about your Moe. It’s that suddenness that’s always difficult. A few weeks ago she was as annoying as ever. At 17 nothing should be all that shocking, but there’s no amount of mental preparation one can do to fully prepare yourself.

Thanks. A friend of mine who has been through this four times with his various cats commented that cats can live 17-18 years, but their kidneys seem to fail after 15-16 years. We still have him, but only in an urn with his picture on the outside.

They really do become part of the family. We still have his sister and she certainly knows he's gone. Cats definitely mourn as well.

Chloe definitely mourned when we lost our other kitty 18 months ago. It’s an interesting point about the kidneys. Hers were failing along with the congenital heart failure. To treat the heart, they would push fluids which would exacerbate the kidneys. It was two opposing treatments with serious questions about length and quality of life. A week, a month? Basically she was going to have heart or kidney failure, again, in a short amount of time. It was a very candid conversation with the doctor. I don’t envy them (emergency animal doctors) but greatly appreciate what they do.

Sorry for your loss. I wish animals could talk to us so that we would know what's going on with them. I dread the day that our brother and sister ragdolls (16 yrs. young) near the end. The male is like a dog and is always walking at my side around the house. He runs to greet me every time I come home.

So sorry for your loss and hope you and the family have nothing but cherished memories of her.

It was a very, very difficult conversation with the DVM at the emergency vet clinic. It wasn't long because it was clear what had to be done, but it wasn't easy. Especially with the rules they had in place (I blame Baker) about no one being able to enter with their pet. It was harder on my wife since she was sleeping when I made the decision to take him to the 24 hour pet ER.

Chloe definitely mourned when we lost our other kitty 18 months ago. It’s an interesting point about the kidneys. Hers were failing along with the congenital heart failure. To treat the heart, they would push fluids which would exacerbate the kidneys. It was two opposing treatments with serious questions about length and quality of life. A week, a month? Basically she was going to have heart or kidney failure, again, in a short amount of time. It was a very candid conversation with the doctor. I don’t envy them (emergency animal doctors) but greatly appreciate what they do.

We had a cat, Ollie, who was my wife's buddy. We lost him to kidney failure after several weeks of intra-veinous hydration. We had planned on letting him go on a Monday, came home from an errand that weekend and he had slipped away alone. Heartbreaking. Our Border Collie rescue, Belle, who my wife trained for agility, had to be put down after a stroke. My rescue Australian in my avatar, Zia, is a joy to live with, and as she ages I dread the day I have to give her a last hug and say goodbye. I'm not ashamed to say that I love her.
My condolences, I feel your anguish.

Last edited:
I’m sorry for your loss, sir. She looks like she was a very sweet kitty, and obviously infatuated with you.

I lost two of the best animals I ever had the pleasure of knowing last year...I don’t know if it was everything else that was going on, or what, but I have been absolutely devastated over losing them and I literally walk around every day feeling like a shell off myself without them.

I always used to think it was silly that animals could mean so much to humans...but their companionship is unparalleled by even our closest family.

You gave the best advice...love them with what you can, while you can. Every day with them is a gift.
Man, you are So right...

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Seems like she had a lot of positive personality. 17 years is an awesome run, but it still sucks when they go. Enjoy all the memories once the sting of loss subsides.

Sorry to create another one of these. I would’ve put it in the heavy feline content thread, but she deserves her own post.

My beloved little girl, Chloe, succumbed to a brief battle with congenital heart failure this evening. We had to make a very tough choice in a matter of minutes. I love what pets add to my life, but hate the harsh realities that accompany the companionship.
I’m still in shock.
She was 17, amazing, and absolutely one of a kind.
She had a knack for scratching at my gun bags when I was prepping for a range trip, helping with target selection, and laying on my back after a long day’s work.
Hug your fur friends tonight.
Cheers to you, Chicken. 🍻

View attachment 486231View attachment 486232
View attachment 486223View attachment 486225View attachment 486229View attachment 486230
Sorry brother. She looks like a sweetheart.

I'm sorry for your loss. Cats and dogs and other pets bring so much into our lives that when we lose them we've lost a very special part of our lives.

She looks as fond of you as you were of her.
You nailed it in raising a happy loving kitty.

I'm sorry the day came too soon.
:(

It’s always too soon. Forever would be too soon. A sharp reminder to take time for the little things. It’s the collection of small pictures that make up the big one. Whatever the hell that means.

Back
Top Bottom