• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith in local gun shops

Email gun shop 1 on a thursday about having a mass compliant rifle transferred via FFL. Response on Monday "Sorry, that gun is not Mass compliant" (even though it is)

My response: "well, there are several shops that sell them in Massachusetts but are currently out!"

Their response: "well, we can check with the manufacturer!" ya you do that!!!!

Call shop 2 and they say email us about it and whoever handles that will respond to your email. Email that person: "Sorry, that gun is not mass compliant" (even though it is) and an employee of shop 2 was the one who suggested we buy it!

Shop 3: "No problem, I will send the seller our FFL info and he can ship the gun here!"

Find out today, shop 3 has a PO Box for their FFL address registered to a name that isn't their gun shop name that the seller received on the FFL certificate but somehow the seller was supposed to ship the gun to the gun shop address which was never discussed in the email between the gun shop and the seller. Why would you ship a gun to an address not associated with an FFL certificate would be my question as well???

Call shop 3 again. "Ya, you are going to have to call the seller to re-ship (from Iowa mind you) the gun to our store address!

Call the seller: Ya, the ATF won't allow me to ship it to any place other than the address on the FFL certificate.

I'll let you know how the rest plays out while I search for a new gun shop to give my money to!

Call the seller: Ya, the ATF won't allow me to ship it to any place other than the address on the FFL certificate.

Seems we just saw this part of the discussion on a Curio & License thread.

I'm sorry your LGS FFLs are being less than useful. This is why I have multiple FFLs I have done business with - and the closest LGS is also the least likely to handle my FFL transfers. Just don't get the warm-fuzzies from them about this sort of thing.

You need someone with a new ATTUDE. Care to say where you're located?

Beretta CX-4 storm....When I emailed the other two shops I made the mistake of giving them the exact model of the gun and not saying RIFLE in the email. And they all saw 9mm and assumed I was referring to the PX storm handgun.

Shop 3 is assuming no responsibility in this at all and apparently sent another copy or another FFL with their store address, because the guy cannot be troubled to wait at the other address for the shipment or call UPS to possibly pick it up!! How much is it going to cost me to have it shipped back to Iowa so it can be shipped back here I wonder?

Ahh, was so close to getting someone from the gun shop to go pick it up at UPS tomorrow.........until UPS said only the person whose name is on the FFL can pick it up and that guy is leaving for a trip tomorrow. If only they had been so kind to fix their mistake last week..Back to Iowa the gun goes! And more shipping charges! And more waiting!

Whats funny is that in MA FFL is liable only for handguns. If they transfer you non mass compliant rifle they are not liable in court.
Am I wrong?

Last Fall I won an auction for a 1980's pre-ban Colt AR-15 unfired in original box for $1250 shipped. It was out of Florida. I called Four Seasons to do the transfer and they told me that the law did not allow them to accept that rifle into MA from another state. I took that as the truth and had to notify seller and in turn got kicked of off Gunbroker. I should have called a few more stores and done some more research and used another FFL.
Long story short, don't ever believe your local gun store when it comes to the law.
Man, I wish I had that Colt now.

Last edited:
Whats funny is that in MA FFL is liable only for handguns. If they transfer you non mass compliant rifle they are not liable in court.
Am I wrong?

I wonder this as well I assume that any transfer into MA has to be within the law or they would be in big trouble

Had same type problem recently. Bought a Ma compliant pistol out of state. Contact FFL to fax over number to out of state shop. Three days later when I call to see if pistol has arrived I am told "Oh sorry we forgot to fax number". Get that taken care of. Three days later I contact shop again to see if pistol has arrived and am told pistol was not Ma compliant (wrong) and had to ship it back. Now today I am picking it up from a different FFL hopefully all goes well.

Flint arms in fall river has had a few cx4 storms in stock over the last month they would likely take the transfer

Back
Top Bottom