Losing faith šŸ‘Ž

Here's the problem......your a "conditioned" Chevy fan. šŸ¤£

Your quoting 137k, 146k and 70k like thats high mileage and good reliability. Toyota truck owners are routinely getting 200k plus before any problems so 147k is EXPECTED......not considered a benchmark of quality.

314k on a Tahoe.....no repairs?

I routinely quote 110k on my Tacoma but I'm EXPECTING 200k before anything major breaks. I'm very comfortable that I'll get that out of it. If I was driving a Chevy I would certainly not be that comfortable of seeing 200k before a major issue. The sooner american truck owners start expecting 200k out of their vehicles the sooner gm and Ford will start building better shit. They're are car and truck manufacturers besides the big three that 200k is the norm not the exception.
I owned a SHO and 3 mustangs
Sorry but GM has been working for me and my crew of 5 trucks
Conditioned? Nope

Last edited:
My last avalanche grenaded its transmission around that too. My current avalanche is starting to slip as well and I'm almost at 100k.

I think I'll be looking at Toyota or maybe Ford next.

I had a Chevy do this intermittently. It would seem to be completely dead, but the battery was fine. The starter was bad. When it ended up in certain spot, it wouldn't turn over.
Had a 1982, 1987, and a 1992 that happened with. One dead spot in the starter motor. Hit it with a 2 foot long breaker bar to jostle it enough and fire right up. It was a bad game of roulette that replacing the starter fixed.

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now Iā€™m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldnā€™t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and itā€™s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. Iā€™m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I donā€™t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and itā€™s all hi way miles !! Itā€™s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Arenā€™t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but Iā€™m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
No programming needed they are just an assembly of cheap low bid parts.

as far as what goes into military vehicles , does not matter much. They have a entire motorcade of support and every X hours its replaced needed or not and ā€œtheyā€ aint paying for it.

They all have problems but GM stuff seems to have more problems. They have to cut costs somewhere to pay for 50 years of union pensions so the product suffers. I've looked at the Tundra twice and I just can't get over the crappy tupperware looking interior and outdated driveline. I've had my fair share of stupid issues with my 2015 F150 but it's such a nicer truck to live inside of and tow with. I like leather heated seats & steering wheels, adaptive cruise control, 36 gallon gas tanks, tailgate steps and lights, etc. Vehicles are more than just appliances to get from point A to point B for me, they need to be fun and enjoyable and the Toyotas are like driving a microwave. It gets the job done but they are so boring and basic.

Last edited:
Over 30 years ago my shop teacher said, if you work on cars after this you can count on ford chevy and chrysler to keep you busy. He also said the vehicles are about as good as the warranties.

Hes said he's been a gm owner for years. Probably owned gm in the 80s and 90s when you were lucky to get 70k out of them and he thinks 100k is good. šŸ¤£

Read the post.....says his last few he got 100k out of and he's only bitchin now because he has a blown tranny at 45k.šŸ¤£

When the hell are ford/chevy/dodge owners going to wake-up and realize Other truck manufacturers easily can get 200k out of a truck without a single repair.
If Toyota had updated their interior on the Tundra in this century I might have considered it. Also, itā€™s not like there werenā€™t huge issues with the Taco frames.

The only thing keeping me away from getting a new Ram is the dial shifter, but maybe I could get used to that

I actually like it. Saves space and beats the push buttons in other cars.

If Toyota had updated their interior on the Tundra in this century I might have considered it. Also, itā€™s not like there werenā€™t huge issues with the Taco frames.

I actually like it. Saves space and beats the push buttons in other cars.
The frame rot was a big issue. Its been fixed....and Toyota paid out quite a bit to owners that had frame rot.

Long story but in 2015 I stuck a fork in GM, Ford, and Dodge ! all junk. And for what it's worth steel brake lines should and need to be banned....yes, I said it BANNED !
The brake lines are what finally failed in my 05 Silverado. I had to replace them to get rid of the truck. Hind site I should have kept it with new brake lines but I was soured to it.

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.

Ground strap?

The frame rot was a big issue. Its been fixed....and Toyota paid out quite a bit to owners that had frame rot.

A lot of the rot issues can be mitigated by simple owner maintenance. I always flush out my frame fender wells, bumpers etc in the spring and a few times over the winter with a hose using any and all frame openings. The amount of sand, silt, and salt that comes out of there every time is amazing. It all holds moisture and fosters rust.

Bob

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now Iā€™m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldnā€™t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and itā€™s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. Iā€™m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I donā€™t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and itā€™s all hi way miles !! Itā€™s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Arenā€™t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but Iā€™m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
I have a 2017 2500 HD. My transmission went at 34,000 or so. Now it has 65,000 on it and it's starting to fuc&# up again.

My fleet is all Toyota.

Anyone who still buys from Government Motors is not paying attention.

I'm no brand whore, but Ford seems to make good trucks. My current 2011 F-150 has 156,000 on the odometer and is still going strong. I also had a 2004 F-150 that had a 186,000 miles on it before it was totaled by some road raging douche back in March.

But then everyone on the job site will say I donā€™t ā€œbuy Americanā€ ;)
Same dummies who still buy Harleys...

Tundras were designed in CA for the North American market.
They are assembled in Texas. That includes the Tundras sent around the world.
The motors and transmission are made in Alabama
The Tundra has 73% USA made content.
The Tundra is more made in USA than any of the other full size trucks.

I had an '02 Silverado 2500 HD with an 8.1 and Allison tranny. No issues regularly towing 8000#. Sold it with 120k miles and bought a '17 Ram 1500 5.7 with the 8 speed German trans. I've towed 6000# without any issues so far (knock on wood). Just shut off the VVT when you're towing.

Last edited:
2007 Silverado regular cab shortbed, just turned 208K. 4.8 engine, uses about 8 oz of oil in 4k miles, best vehicle I've ever owned. I DID give fits for a while with a bad BCM. Bought a used one on fleabay for $60 and had it flashed for $170, end of problem. But I MAINTAIN IT! How many crybabies have mud for oil, and black transmission fluid, and are whining about how bad the trucks are built?

They only paid if you complained.

The typical owner got the frame replaced. Only the frame was covered so anything that was broken or worn out had to be paid for by the owner. The typical owner paid somewhere between $1k and $2500 when the frame was replaced. I can't defend those numbers. Those numbers were given to me by people working at Toyota dealers.

In my case it took a few phone calls to Toyota Frame recall number to get anything. I wanted them to buy my truck back. They did not. In the end what I got was high retail value as long as I traded for a brand new Toyota. I could use any dealer I wanted and make the best deal and then tell them and they had to take my truck for the value I had negotiated with Toyota.

I only make large purchases from from US companies, whenever possible anyway. It's not about manufacturing jobs just about where the $$ ends up, where the good jobs reside. US companies also tend to source parts/materials from other US companies, whole thing is good.

I'm a US engineer and I believe in "us". Honestly if I had a contractor or landscaper show up in a Toyota truck, I'd send them packing.

Have seen horror stories from all manufacturers. Anyone who really thinks a Toyota truck is better is just drinking different punch.

My last 3 GM's, barely got maintenance, minor repairs, one 285k and the cosmetics were so disgusting I threw it out over a $300 repair.. current two 180k & 270k, '12 Sonic and '06 Canyon. Sonic was 17k new for the LTZ, a cheap economy car that was reasonably fun with a 6 speed manual, has been extremely low maintenance and still going well. I will keep buying GM.

Ever get the updated fluid from the dealer? ( Mobil 1)
GMā€™s Dextron 6 eats away metal and they switched to Mobil 1
I can say itā€™s smoother shifting
No, I wonder if they used mobile 1 fluid when they put the new tranny in A year 1/2 ago

Back
Top Bottom