• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith 👎

I don't think they shit their pants at all and it's obvious that the truck has not been released. Lots of custom guys and factory toy builds race to get to that show.
I'll bet if that truck was released the MSRP would be over 100K but you need to ask yourself one question. Does even the lower average buyer want to drive a stick every day? I don't think so. Hell, even many of the class 8 trucks are being built with automatics these days for a whole lot of reasons.
I get it but I stand firm is toyota introduced a comparable 1 ton into the US market I think there would be. Upset in domestic truck sales.

We all need automobiles that said there is no morality in choosing. All of the car companies are converged globohomo organizations. Go look at what the Ford Foundation preaches. Spoiler: they hate you. Buy whatever you want but don't kid yourself about the morality of one car company over the others.

Nissan sucks, it is my inherent duty to tell you so. After many problems costing $5000 before a 100k, I swore to the customer service bitch to never buy a Nissan again, and neither would my children nor anyone I could influence.

Nissan sucks, it is my inherent duty to tell you so. After many problems costing $5000 before a 100k, I swore to the customer service bitch to never buy a Nissan again, and neither would my children nor anyone I could influence.
I always tell people that Nissan is the Chrysler of Japan.

You will find that much of Toyota shares are owned by Japanese banks/companies as well as Toyota itself. So Toyota's profits benefit Japan/Toyota the most.
Not to mention the thousands of Americans that are employed by the company, spend money pay taxes, buy goods, purchase raw materials to build the cars, have profit sharing and a 401k. etc etc etc..

I'm not commenting whether it's good or bad.

The bottom line is that if a company makes a 5% bottom line they are doing good. 5% goes back to Japan and 95% is consumed in the US. I'll guess that a majority of the sales and profits stays right here in the US. Without getting into NAFTA and all of it's associated BS, what's better,. A US brand car that is 50% made in Mexico or a Japanese care that is 70% made in the US.

It's all relative....

she only rolled her eyes as you left. To big to fail to big to give a shit.

Personally I think you’re giving Nissan too much credit. I had a 1991 Dodge Cummins that was a workhorse and pretty much flawless. I sold it to a local landscaper who then ran it for a few more years who said he loved it.

My wife in the last 20 years has had 3 Nissan Murano's, a Nissan Rogue and a Nissan Pathfinder. Other than regular maintenance (oil, tires, brakes), has had no issues. Zero, zip, nada.

I would buy a Nissan all day every day before I would buy a POS GM product again. I've been burned too many times (see previous posts)

Personally I think you’re giving Nissan too much credit. I had a 1991 Dodge Cummins that was a workhorse and pretty much flawless. I sold it to a local landscaper who then ran it for a few more years who said he loved it.
Those old Dodges were great. The rotted badly, but so did everything from that era.

Those old Dodges were great. The rotted badly, but so did everything from that era.
Actually the truck was rock solid when I sold it. Being black it was always kept clean to the best of my ability in NE. It rode like crap so bad that I had made up a 1200 pound counter weight that would get installed at my buddies excavating shop. He had a fork truck and we welded the plates so that the installation or removal only took a couple of mins. In fact it took longer to fire up the fork truck.

My last GM was a brand new 1988 S-10 4wd xcab. I had always been GM up to that vehicle. Pretty much junk from day one. Between poor quality ball joints, torsion bar mounts and CV boots all having to be replaced multiple times mixed with poor dealership warrantee repairs, using quarts of oil like crazy at 50K, I'm done. Didn't fare much better with my Ram 1500 4WD xcab. My Honda isn't a real pickup but minimal repairs and runs like a champ what can I say?

My last GM was a brand new 1988 S-10 4wd xcab. I had always been GM up to that vehicle. Pretty much junk from day one. Between poor quality ball joints, torsion bar mounts and CV boots all having to be replaced multiple times mixed with poor dealership warrantee repairs, using quarts of oil like crazy at 50K, I'm done. Didn't fare much better with my Ram 1500 4WD xcab. My Honda isn't a real pickup but minimal repairs and runs like a champ what can I say?

Ridgeline? How do you like it?
I am starting to keep an eye out for my next vehicle. There are times I would appreciate having a pickup, but 95% of the time an SUV or sedan is a better fit. I have been eyeing the ridgeline; I would own one tomorrow if they put a small diesel in it. 30 MPG highway in a home-depot-run-worthy vehicle? Yes please.

The Ridgeline is a really interesting vehicle. It's not a truck by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd wager that it fills the need for 50% of current truck owners. The amount of storage is crazy good, and it rides really nicely. With the current emissions requirements, I don't think a diesel would be a good fit, and the gasser options are pretty good. With a bed extender or a small trailer, I think it's a great option for someone who doesn't need a full size truck on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to replace my 2500HD, but it would do 90% of what I needed with ease. It's the last 10% that forces me to keep an 8' bed, diesel powered truck.

I am starting to keep an eye out for my next vehicle. There are times I would appreciate having a pickup, but 95% of the time an SUV or sedan is a better fit. I have been eyeing the ridgeline; I would own one tomorrow if they put a small diesel in it. 30 MPG highway in a home-depot-run-worthy vehicle? Yes please.
Mechanically it's very good doesn't burn a drop of oil at nearly 120K (always have used full synthetic). Probably 6-700 in non scheduled maintenance repairs (heater motor, coil pack, exhaust) till now. And maybe a couple of 300 more for the AC. Their trans and diff maintenance along with the 100K timing belt, water pump, plugs, schedule add up. Mileage is better than the Ram. The bed is comparable to the Tacoma. I love the trunk under the bed. I have a 1g. Go on Ridgeline owners forum for a look see. Hope that helps.

Holy crap you had to go into the way back machine. My wife (gf at the time) bought a new S10 Blazer in 85, a year before we met. That truck was 100% reliable all the way to 93 when it was replaced with a company truck (Range Rover) for me that I gave her. I kept driving my Dodge pick up.
Now that was a real POS!!! Thankfully all the visits to FMW were paid for.
I forget who bought that truck or how we got rid of it. Maybe the WantAd book.

SUV + utility trailer

I bought a new 89 S-10 2WD with the four cylinder and thrashed for 200K with only radiator, water pump, alternator, all of which were still easy to fix. Remember when that stuff was simply bolted on the outside of the motor and could be swapped in an auto parts parking lot in 20 minutes with 2 wrenches. Progress.

The Ridgeline is a really interesting vehicle. It's not a truck by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd wager that it fills the need for 50% of current truck owners. The amount of storage is crazy good, and it rides really nicely. With the current emissions requirements, I don't think a diesel would be a good fit, and the gasser options are pretty good. With a bed extender or a small trailer, I think it's a great option for someone who doesn't need a full size truck on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to replace my 2500HD, but it would do 90% of what I needed with ease. It's the last 10% that forces me to keep an 8' bed, diesel powered truck.
80% of my truck customers dont even use the truck part. They just need to roll around in something big.

Two points. First I don't believe that the ford foundation is tied in with the ford motor company. As always I could be wrong. As far as the Ridgeline that "truck" is about as much truck as probably about 85% of truck buyers actually need. Not sure on the newest model but on the old one the payload rating was something like 1800lbs. The only reason I didn't buy one is because they are simply not off-road worthy. Like not even fake skid-plates. I bought my Tacoma with an off-road package because I actually take my truck off-roading. Nothing crazy, if I brake it I have to fix it and I have no other vehicle so that's it. But most people don't use their trucks anywhere close to their abilities.

80% of my truck customers dont even use the truck part. They just need to roll around in something big.
"Need"... More like "want". My other vehicle is an 07 Honda Fit. It has more cargo room than my truck without the bed. It's a little go-kart, and gets 35+mpg. Plus, it's a stick!

My wife in the last 20 years has had 3 Nissan Murano's, a Nissan Rogue and a Nissan Pathfinder. Other than regular maintenance (oil, tires, brakes), has had no issues. Zero, zip, nada.

I would buy a Nissan all day every day before I would buy a POS GM product again. I've been burned too many times (see previous posts)
What was the mileage on each one ? Also a great website to seek out vehicle history is carcomplaints you really can learn about which cars suck and how the first year of the model is one to avoid...also you need to interpret the data, because fewer complaints/less reviews could mean more satisfied customers and the common complaint could be misleading, because like COVID, we do not know the denominator

All of my nissan cars have gone over 150k with just routine maintenance, brakes and tires and no major failures in drivetrain. I do think like every other company they are getting worse. But ive had 2 altimas a rogue and a versa. All went well over 150k.

As far as Trucks go, 1/2 ton trucks are barely trucks anymore. They are an SUV with a bed. They cost as much as moderately loaded 3/4 ton or more.
Tundras probably have the best record, but all have had issues. And for the 50000 price tag most idiots are paying for them is nuts. They have Americans wrapped around their finger in a truck market that is just nonstop. These companies are marketing geniuses who once had the average family replacing a 15-20k car or minivan every 7 years, now have them replacing 50-60k crew cab 1500 pickups on double the profit margin or more. Most of these people dont even use the bed for or tow for christ sake.

Yeah, ill keep my old paid for 05 dodge in the garage and use it only when needed, and drive a cheaper car or small suv and invest the money I save in a non depreciating asset.
The continuing fact that these newer trucks are junk is just another reason to keep my money.

I just specked out a Dodge tradesman crew for 40k with a middle of the road interior and 6.4 hemi. But the thought of burning 40 k cash on that makes me puke.

Last edited:
My dad buys a new Tacoma when they hit 300k-ish. Virtually no problems. I don’t recall him ever doing any engine or transmission work.
The average new Taco almost as much as a new moderately specked out half ton truck. In some cases more.

I looked a higher end Taco that was near 40k the other day, same price as a 2500 crew cab dodge. WTF!
Dodge has twice or three times the metal in it and can carry the Taco in its bed.

They are good vehicles, but cannot do what a 1/2 ton can do in hauling or towing or ride as good as a half ton rides, and are small inside. They get nearly the same gas mileage or less.
I honestly dont see the point in them as a truck.

As a compact utility vehicle that does high miles with low maintenance well they are great. But overpriced in the truck market by like 5k. Again, they have built a solid reliable reputation that gains them that extra money, but its all profit for them now. Its certainly not going into cost of metal

Last edited:
I have been a life long General Motors customer but now I’m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldn’t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and it’s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I don’t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and it’s all hi way miles !! It’s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Aren’t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but I’m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !🇺🇸

Why be nationalist in your purchasing when clearly our elected officials are anything but?

I also have given up on US cars as the quality is just poor.

I really have no brand preference at all. I've owned Fords and Chevys and whatever else. The only real pos we ever owned was the wife's VW Jetta. Never again.
My current ride is a 2010 Silverado which has been flawless...just routine maintenance and one ball joint. And I work with it so it's got racks and a toolbox and it's frequently loaded with tools and material. It pulls my trailer great and the four wheel drive works better than any vehicle I've ever owned.
It gets an oil change twice a year and the undercarriage gets sprayed with WD40 once in a while. About twice a month I run it through the car wash, and about once or twice a year it gets a quick coat of wax. I'm hoping for another 10 years or more if I can get it.

Back
Top Bottom