• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith 👎

Tundras were designed in CA for the North American market.
They are assembled in Texas. That includes the Tundras sent around the world.
The motors and transmission are made in Alabama
The Tundra has 73% USA made content.
The Tundra is more made in USA than any of the other full size trucks.

They do all that to avoid taxes/tariffs to maximize their profits, no other reason. Profits that go back to Japan and never, ever return to the United States (money that will no longer will cycle around and around in our economy) because we run a trade deficit with them. All profits that go to Japan (and to companies in other countries, for that matter) removes money from our economy and makes us poorer as a nation, we are essentially transferring money to them with each vehicle made by a foreign company.

And even Toyota was assisted by the FED in the great recession:

Last edited:
Here's the problem......your a "conditioned" Chevy fan. 🤣

Your quoting 137k, 146k and 70k like thats high mileage and good reliability. Toyota truck owners are routinely getting 200k plus before any problems so 147k is EXPECTED......not considered a benchmark of quality.

314k on a Tahoe.....no repairs?

I routinely quote 110k on my Tacoma but I'm EXPECTING 200k before anything major breaks. I'm very comfortable that I'll get that out of it. If I was driving a Chevy I would certainly not be that comfortable of seeing 200k before a major issue. The sooner american truck owners start expecting 200k out of their vehicles the sooner gm and Ford will start building better shit. They're are car and truck manufacturers besides the big three that 200k is the norm not the exception.
Issue is Toyota makes nothing Full-size +. For sedans, small SUVs and small trucks Japanese works. Work trucks not so much. Tacomas are one thing yes . Current generation Tundras are not that amazing. Not going to buy a GM no matter what though.

Issue is Toyota makes nothing Full-size +. For sedans, small SUVs and small trucks Japanese works. Work trucks not so much. Not going to buy a GM no matter what though
True their largest is a tundra and barely comparable to a 1/2 ton from the big 3. But if you don't need a 3/4 or 1 ton the tundra will fit.

Can't tow a 12k# trailer day in and day out with a Tundra and expect it to survive. It's GM or Ford for me. Duramax or 6.7 Powerstroke. Wish the Cummins came in a GM or Ford wrapper, it's a great engine.

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.

7 years old and only 30K? - you may not drive it enough, seriously. Vehicles need to be driven unless stored in a climate controlled environment, even then a lot of sitting isn't good. Humidity, mice, chipmunks, etc. wreak havoc on vehicles. Mice in particular get in and chew on wiring, etc. exposing things to moisture/humidity which can end up causing intermittent problems. I pretty much drive my truck every day and even then I still have had frigging mice chew up some wrappings, etc. in the engine compartment. I had a friend whose vehicle's wiring was completely destroyed over one winter in storage.

I lost faith in GM when I had to bring my 2012 Silverado back 8 times in 8 months.....Oh and after my wife's brand new 2013 Traverse that we ordered blew the tranny at 3200 miles and 3 months old.

Just a fact. Ford and GM got together back in 2010 - 2011. Their R&D designed the 6 Spd trans together but built them separately. The problem GM had was the wave plate. They first put it in the Saturn Outlook and they had over 700 complaints. Two years later still having the same problem. You think they would've went to Ford and asked why they didn't have the wave plate problem. And yes it is the same 6 Spd trans they are still using.
I routinely get 200,000 plus miles out of my vehicles. Nothing special for maintenance.
Currently a 2008 GMC Acadia with 213,000 miles. 2008 Lexus RS350 124,000 miles.
Both were used when purchased.
Tranny in the GMC has always sucked. I’m just not a fan of 6 speeds. They’re always hunting for the right gear. (Same for company Chevy pickup)
The Lexus has a 3 speed and is a joy to drive and shifts normally into the correct gear for the powerband.
Others that lasted were Dodge Durango rotted out at 275,000.
Toyota Rav 4 rotted out at 243,000
And way back an Isuzu Trooper II with over 300,000 miles that the wife skidded into a phone pole to kill it.
None of those vehicles needed an engine or transmission.

Can't tow a 12k# trailer day in and day out with a Tundra and expect it to survive. It's GM or Ford for me. Duramax or 6.7 Powerstroke. Wish the Cummins came in a GM or Ford wrapper, it's a great engine.

Yes a Tundra is not going to tow 12k. Neither is a half ton GM/Chevy or Ford. 12k towing day in and day out and you are going to need a 3/4 ton or larger.

They do all that to avoid taxes/tariffs to maximize their profits, no other reason. Profits that go back to Japan and never, ever return to the United States (money that will no longer will cycle around and around in our economy) because we run a trade deficit with them. All profits that go to Japan (and to companies in other countries, for that matter) removes money from our economy and makes us poorer as a nation, we are essentially transferring money to them with each vehicle made by a foreign company.

And even Toyota was assisted by the FED in the great recession:

There is pretty much zero truth in this entire post...
Toyota is a public company, explain coherently how profits go to Japan and never come back?
I own shares in Toyota...I get a piece of the profit in the form of dividends and share price growth...so do the millions of other retail and institutional investors in America.

profits also go back into companies via investments...those plants that actually make the vehicles aren’t free...it took corporate profits to pay for them, which being built in the US means that American workers were paid to engineer, build, and now work in the factories...

and what you just mentioned isn’t how a trade deficit or surplus works..yeesh.

Some one said earlier and I agree that these company's are spending way too much time and effort at tech wizardry and cooled seats and other stuff instead of into their drivetrains. While I liked my Sierra I got tired of throwing money into it and my remark at the time was while the heated seats were nice I wish they had spent more money and effort into the front end. that seemed to be a never ending problem. I think the Toyotas and Hondas are usually much better quality wise their not impervious to lemons and general stupidity like anything else. I have a Tacoma that I really like it also works well for me. However if I was towing a boat or hauling serious weight I would have to move on to something else.

Toyota is a public company, explain coherently how profits go to Japan and never come back?
I own shares in Toyota...I get a piece of the profit in the form of dividends and share price growth...so do the millions of other retail and institutional investors in America.

profits also go back into companies via investments...those plants that actually make the vehicles aren’t free...it took corporate profits to pay for them, which being built in the US means that American workers were paid to engineer, build, and now work in the factories...

Amen. So many people have zero idea how the US economy, let alone the global economy works. It's easy to parrot taking points, and completely ignore reality and the nuance of interconnected economic systems.

I've got a 100% trade deficit with Stop and Shop. Is that a bad thing? Nope. They're good at buying, marketing, and delivering groceries. They have no use for what I make. We both benefit from our respective areas of expertise.

The "money disappears" argument also ignores wages, taxes, and the non-zero-sum-game that is a functioning economy.

The one thing that was right is that companies maximize profit. Yup. That's what they do. Exclusively.

Amen. So many people have zero idea how the US economy, let alone the global economy works. It's easy to parrot taking points, and completely ignore reality and the nuance of interconnected economic systems.

I've got a 100% trade deficit with Stop and Shop. Is that a bad thing? Nope. They're good at buying, marketing, and delivering groceries. They have no use for what I make. We both benefit from our respective areas of expertise.

The "money disappears" argument also ignores wages, taxes, and the non-zero-sum-game that is a functioning economy.

The one thing that was right is that companies maximize profit. Yup. That's what they do. Exclusively.

Trump campaigned strongly on, among other thing of course, how bad the trade deficit is for our economy - he is a business man that has considerable experience in these areas so I trust that he is correct.

Do not trust all the people saying that trade deficits are not a problem for us and it is just part of the "global economy", they are all in on the "Great Reset". They want the United States to fund all the factories, infrastructure, etc. in other countries with the money that we send overseas.

And I would not own stock in any company (Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc.) that produced military equipment during WWII that was used to kill American soldiers.

the transmission let go in my 2006 F150 last winter, it had 62K on it and was used to plow my driveway and Mom's driveway, and sometimes the shop parking lot. This was the plow prep heavy duty everything F150 with the 7 lug wheels.

Never beat on, off roaded, always full stops between forward/reverse gear changes...

Went to put it up on the lift to pull the valve body ( known issue with snap rings breaking) but not only wasn't it the easy fix, the frame was completely rotted to the point it was collapsing where the lift pads were.

The problem is American manufacturers teamed up and are using a common automatic transmission now, so if it is bad in a Ford, it will be bad in a GM. Chryslers has always had weak transmissions IMHO.

Having read this whole thread it seems that most, not all, of the mechanical issues are in trucks 2008 - present. I wonder if some of these issues are the companies trying to confirm to the Obama emmisions and mileage regs and keep profit margins high The vehicles get lighter and the mechanical and electronics become more sophisticated and complex with the goal of squeezing out more fleet mileage for each brand. I read somewhere that trannys with multiple gears work harder with more shift points as the computer tries for the highest efficiency.

Also, what’s wrong with a truck with a 5 spd, 6 cylinder engine with a bench seat and crank windows with vents for a work truck that doesn’t have to haul or pull huge loads? Also,it seems that with modern materials, computerized drafting techniques, and the wealth of accumulated data on rust, that modern trucks should not be rusting out.

I have a 2017 Tacoma and a 2020 Rav 4. We keep our cars 10+ years and bought the extended warranty for both because I don’t trust the longevity of either vehicle. The Rav 4 has already been towed once to the dealer. Apparently there was a software glitch that was telling the battery that some component need power when the car was off. The tow truck guy said he’d towed 9 2020 Rav 4’s in 2 weeks with the same problem ( dead in the garage - no start.). It took Toyota 2 days to hopefully solve the problem. We’ll see!

My dad buys a new Tacoma when they hit 300k-ish. Virtually no problems. I don’t recall him ever doing any engine or transmission work.

My dad buys a new Tacoma when they hit 300k-ish. Virtually no problems. I don’t recall him ever doing any engine or transmission work.
Your dads Taco isn’t going to be carrying 2000 pounds without folding in half or scratching the bottom off.
It doesn’t have a prayer moving a 10000 pound boat and trailer.

Any horror stories with 2013-2017 Silverado 1500's? I am the stereotypical John q Public that enjoys having a pu for dump runs, home depot, hauling family atvs around Might get a 21 ft cuddy guy.

Any engines to avoid? Plan to fly south to buy, in the spring

"he is a business man that has considerable experience in these areas so I trust that he is correct. "

No, he is a loser who is a failure in business - when playing by the rules. He really is not too smart, it has now been exposed.

Trump has done more for this country economically than any President in recent history. He is 100% right about putting the United States first and reducing our trade deficits. Anyone who cannot see that is blind.

Any horror stories with 2013-2017 Silverado 1500's? I am the stereotypical John q Public that enjoys having a pu for dump runs, home depot, hauling family atvs around Might get a 21 ft cuddy guy.

Any engines to avoid? Plan to fly south to buy, in the spring

Those years cover 2 generations of trucks:
2007-2013 are 2nd gen
2014-2018 Re 3rd gen

My 13 has been good but I’m a maintenance freak. Regular oil changes are critical due to the AFM and smaller oil passages in the engine. I used, and still use, a Range module to keep the truck out of AFM.

I pull a heavy travel trailer using a WDH without any issues.
pay attention to gear selection when you buy the truck.

Bob

So where do Toyota's (or that of any foreign company) profits go then?????
toyota profits go here

Also look to see what toyota is invested in, from what I understand they own a good chunk of subaru, mazda, uber and god knows what else.
i dont understand global business but it seems strange toyota assembles and manufsctures alot of the US vehicles state side. Mean while the US manufactures in port parts and or vehicles.
I also believe the big 3 pay off Toyota to keep a 1ton Tundra from the U S market
maybe someday I will save a week or 2 worths of dealer parts and see where they come from.
When manufactures are importing a large amount of parts where are the profits going then?
In todays world I have to buy what i think is the best value for my earned money.
It would be nice to get everything I want and need locally and USA made.
The closest I came recently is my dishwasher , sticker proudly displays "An American Company" yet my machine was only assembled in US with globally sourced parts, at that point what does it matter.

Your dads Taco isn’t going to be carrying 2000 pounds without folding in half or scratching the bottom off.
It doesn’t have a prayer moving a 10000 pound boat and trailer.
i think the big three shit thier pants when toyota came to the NEMA show with this and Ford,chevy,Ram said " how much do you want NOT to bring this to production

i think the big three shit thier pants when toyota came to the NEMA show with this and Ford,chevy,Ram said " how much do you want NOT to bring this to production
I don't think they shit their pants at all and it's obvious that the truck has not been released. Lots of custom guys and factory toy builds race to get to that show.
I'll bet if that truck was released the MSRP would be over 100K but you need to ask yourself one question. Does even the lower average buyer want to drive a stick every day? I don't think so. Hell, even many of the class 8 trucks are being built with automatics these days for a whole lot of reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom