Losing faith 👎

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.

I've read stories about bad, intermittent, PATS keys. If the chip is broken or bad that can happen. Maybe try a different key. Especially if you give a mechnic a spare key and they can't make it fail but it sometimes fails with the key in your pocket. A bad ignition switch could be the culprit too.

Tundras were designed in CA for the North American market.
They are assembled in Texas. That includes the Tundras sent around the world.
The motors and transmission are made in Alabama
The Tundra has 73% USA made content.
The Tundra is more made in USA than any of the other full size trucks.
I understand that, but the big 3 automakers have gone to great (marketing) lengths to make everyone think that there are a team of bald eagles racing around factories tied to George Washington’s belt buckles putting Chevy’s and Fords together while the Star Spangled Banner plays on rotation

I like the Tundra, Titan, and Ridgeline if I was to grab something..titan has caught my eye

A pickup crapping out at 100K? I know 2020 has been a shitty year, but has vehicle technology devolved back to the 1970s?
We live in a throwaway economy...now a days most people lease and don’t see past 40k miles let alone 100k...what incentive is there for automakers to build in reliability any more? US automakers put the union and pensions over quality years ago.
I drive an 11 year old Corolla that can run without oil and doesn’t care at 170k miles..(ask me how I know).
atleast with German cars you get a nice driving vehicle when they do run, American cars suck all around.

I switched to Honda’s years ago. The last American car I had was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Of course the tranny went sooner then later. Jim

I understand that, but the big 3 automakers have gone to great (marketing) lengths to make everyone think that there are a team of bald eagles racing around factories tied to George Washington’s belt buckles putting Chevy’s and Fords together while the Star Spangled Banner plays on rotation

I like the Tundra, Titan, and Ridgeline if I was to grab something..titan has caught my eye
Those are like TINOs. Trucks in name only.

Fine vehicles for certain purposes, but not really trucks compared to a Ford, Dodge, Chevy of similar size.

Too bad about GM. I had a rust free 2000 GMC Classic Sierra 3/4 ton I bought used in southern CA that I liked.

I wouldn't just jump into Toyota, personally. I bought a new 1994 Toyota DX 4wd pickup, with no ac, stripped. I forwent a nice modicum of options and paid a higher price just because I was sure I was guaranteed that it would go 300+ K miles on oil changes alone. At 105K it bent the cylinder head- it had overheating issues. This was the "venerable" 22RE 4 cylinder motor. Certainly my 1985 Toyota Tercel wagon I bought from my mother a few years before was that kind of iconic Toyota- indestructible. The golden age that Toyota was building their legend upon.

But by the late 1980s, early 90s- ehhhh. I remember that the V6s were suppose to be worse for heating issues. At 120K or so, my 4 cyl engine shutdown with a snapped timing chain. A Toyota certified mechanic told me that the guides that held the timing chain on track were plastic and had worn out, and that Toyota use to make them out of metal. And it seemed reasonable because I was on my way to Los Angeles from the Worcester area, driving in Arizona when I heard a metallic ticking sound. And, I had to have the redone cylinder head done again, in Los Angeles, because the snapped chain took it down!
The frame had rust everywhere. Toyotas suck beyond any car for paint chipping, body integrity, rust and rot issues. Cheap metal, chippy paint jobs, frozen spare tire mechanisms, blisters in sheet metal, etc. I felt it was average at best. I sold it around 150K miles in CA.
My 2010 Mazda 3 has been really great. I like the Fords. Maybe try a Ford for a full size. Perhaps a Mazda CX5 or even a Hyundai SUV.

I’ve had at least 15 since I started driving 40 years ago. Just the last few have had tranny issues
God 15 in 40 years, GFC!
Lets see first car was in 1988 last carbought was 2014
8 cars/trucks total.
the first 4 where shit boxes and only lasted a few years each.
2004 I bought a tundra 190k
Brakes, Tires, batt and radiator, at 145k they replaced the frame. Traded it in 2014 for my 2011 Tundra Crewmax with 46k on it so I could fit my 3 kids. Will be on my 3 set tires 2nd set of brakes, battery
Going on 115k , 200k minimum before I ditch it.

For what y'all are spending on new trucks today you could buy a bobbed deuce with modern amenities and accomplish your annual grocery shopping in a single trip. For the neighborhood. When the Home Depot guy asks if your pickup truck can handle a full skid of drywall sheets you can laugh. Do keep your health insurance current though. Your kidneys will thank you.

Too bad about GM. I had a rust free 2000 GMC Classic Sierra 3/4 ton I bought used in southern CA that I liked.

I wouldn't just jump into Toyota, personally. I bought a new 1994 Toyota DX 4wd pickup, with no ac, stripped. I forwent a nice modicum of options and paid a higher price just because I was sure I was guaranteed that it would go 300+ K miles on oil changes alone. At 105K it bent the cylinder head- it had overheating issues. This was the "venerable" 22RE 4 cylinder motor. Certainly my 1985 Toyota Tercel wagon I bought from my mother a few years before was that kind of iconic Toyota- indestructible. The golden age that Toyota was building their legend upon.

But by the late 1980s, early 90s- ehhhh. I remember that the V6s were suppose to be worse for heating issues. At 120K or so, my 4 cyl engine shutdown with a snapped timing chain. A Toyota certified mechanic told me that the guides that held the timing chain on track were plastic and had worn out, and that Toyota use to make them out of metal. And it seemed reasonable because I was on my way to Los Angeles from the Worcester area, driving in Arizona when I heard a metallic ticking sound. And, I had to have the redone cylinder head done again, in Los Angeles, because the snapped chain took it down!
The frame had rust everywhere. Toyotas suck beyond any car for paint chipping, body integrity, rust and rot issues. Cheap metal, chippy paint jobs, frozen spare tire mechanisms, blisters in sheet metal, etc. I felt it was average at best. I sold it around 150K miles in CA.
My 2010 Mazda 3 has been really great. I like the Fords. Maybe try a Ford for a full size. Perhaps a Mazda CX5 or even a Hyundai SUV.
The last paragraph sounds like every ford I work on in past 20 years.
Spare tire holders, Northeast they all rot out and or wont release-chevy!

But then everyone on the job site will say I don’t “buy American” ;)
Same dummies who still buy Harleys...
Hah, dummies and Harleys. I had a 2005 softail for 10 years. I still like Harleys. I'd own another one. But there is no way they compare to a BMW or Yamaha bikes I have had or have.
They make shitty parts all the time and will leave you stranded. I have a 2016 BMW R1200RS sport tourer. Harleys literally do nothing well as a motorcycle- NOTHING.

Several thoughts on this:

1) GM sucks. I'm sorry but aside from the Vette and some Caddies all they make is inferior.
2) Japanese cars aren't quite as reliable as people like to believe. They're certainly quality products but they're not completely failure-proof. My 97 Maxima destroyed the transmission at 190k. My 98 Accord needed a new engine and a new transmission just after 200k. My 99 Miata rotted away by 140k. Those are relatively high mileage figures, sure, but they don't really put to shame domestics - plenty of trucks, for example, crossing over 200k.
3) I'm on my first domestic car, a 2018 Ford, and it's not built as well as the 2006 Acura I had previously. That said, I'm going above and beyond to make this thing last - lots of preventative and early maintenance. My wife and her family are on Jeep #9 or so and all have been surprisingly reliable.
4) I like Japanese cars but they're all terrible these days. I can't think of a single Japanese sedan I'd want to daily drive over my Ford. Sad.

I started boycotting Detroit a while ago. My Lesbaru was made in Japan and my Camry was made in the U.S.. My Camry was still running at 208K and my Lesbaru is at 140K and needs to have the valve gasket replaced.

yeah, I'm frustrated also but with ford. I have a 7 yo superduty with 30k on the clock. just stopped running and no one can repair it. intermittent problem, will sit in the drive for a week and won't start and one day it will and run for a day or two and quit again. of course it never does it when its at a mechanic. dealer has no clue, several decent mechanics have no clue. I just got it back from another shop 90 miles from the house yesterday. we'll see if it starts this morning. he kept it for a few additional days and it was working. I'm in for 3500 bucks so far. so I feel your pain.
More than likey a bad connection.
Had it ever been in the shop for trans wotk? The twist lock connector on those sucks , it will cause all sorts of problems if its loose.
Battery condition will play havoc on “newer” cars. If you battery falls bellow 10v while cranking it most likely will not start

A pickup crapping out at 100K? I know 2020 has been a shitty year, but has vehicle technology devolved back to the 1970s?
NO but the quality of the drive train and base of the vehicle has taken a back seat to Wifi mobile hot spot, heated pinky toe mat, electronic gismos up the wazoo.
Power tail gate, this irks me a bit. I just think its dumb , oh and I cant wait to see what those cost to repair.
To much intergrated garbage on them also.

Hah, dummies and Harleys. I had a 2005 softail for 10 years. I still like Harleys. I'd own another one. But there is no way they compare to a BMW or Yamaha bikes I have had or have.
They make shitty parts all the time and will leave you stranded. I have a 2016 BMW R1200RS sport tourer. Harleys literally do nothing well as a motorcycle- NOTHING.
Yeah but you look silly doing the low wave on anything but a harley

i wish harley would fix the stalling problems, everytime I see a HD at a light the poor rider has to constantly roll the throttle to keep it running.

Last edited:
Several thoughts on this:

1) GM sucks. I'm sorry but aside from the Vette and some Caddies all they make is inferior.
2) Japanese cars aren't quite as reliable as people like to believe. They're certainly quality products but they're not completely failure-proof. My 97 Maxima destroyed the transmission at 190k. My 98 Accord needed a new engine and a new transmission just after 200k. My 99 Miata rotted away by 140k. Those are relatively high mileage figures, sure, but they don't really put to shame domestics - plenty of trucks, for example, crossing over 200k.
3) I'm on my first domestic car, a 2018 Ford, and it's not built as well as the 2006 Acura I had previously. That said, I'm going above and beyond to make this thing last - lots of preventative and early maintenance. My wife and her family are on Jeep #9 or so and all have been surprisingly reliable.
4) I like Japanese cars but they're all terrible these days. I can't think of a single Japanese sedan I'd want to daily drive over my Ford. Sad.
Comparable chevy/dodge/ford cars get about 1/2 that before needing some cash dumped.

big problem now in northeast is rot, not rust. Newer cars have more and smaller wires causing all sorts of issued.
Another thing I see is mice. Alot of them. More so in the last 8 years than the the previous 20 or so.
f***ers are everywhete and chewing and pissing on everything!

This thread is not about cars it's about trucks so how does your car really compare against a truck in general?
I had a 3/4 ton GMC truck new out of the gate once...once been buying Fords ever since. Fords are a much better truck than any GM but they are not perfect.
A lot of guys with GM's I know transitioned to Ford or Toyota Tundra years ago. Most would never go back to Toyota ( don't know why) as they ended up going to either Dodge or Ford after their Toyota experience.
Most guys I know who buy Ford always buy Ford
Most who buy GM love the truck but they deal with lots of issues
Most who buy Dodge/Ram do because they are cheap (both the truck and person), no other reason, because Dodge sells trucks for short money
I have a new Ford hate the stop start thing, they have documented door handle issues and they installed a throw away rubber belt 10/11 speed transmission which I can't stand.
My buddy loves his Taco after they replaced his entire frame says "why get a new truck mine is new" says it's worth 21K [rofl] he doesn't understand all the other parts are over 10 years old :rolleyes:

I had a 1992 Chevy 1500 in 2012 if finally gave up the ghost after 297,000 miles original engine and tranny, then picked up a 2005 Dodge Durango going to replace that in the spring 252,000 miles on it . It is full of rust but engine and tranny still ok. Going to go back to a pick up.

and my first car was a 1974 Ford Pinto, that did not explode but I had to replace 3 starters on it in 3 years, hung down to low and picked up water to easy. But it was fun to tune you could jump the solenoid with a screw driver to advance the engine setting the points. To all you young guys google ignition points.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom