• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Losing faith 👎

You will find that much of Toyota shares are owned by Japanese banks/companies as well as Toyota itself. So Toyota's profits benefit Japan/Toyota the most.
The average new Taco almost as much as a new moderately specked out half ton truck. In some cases more.

I looked a higher end Taco that was near 40k the other day, same price as a 2500 crew cab dodge. WTF!
Dodge has twice or three times the metal in it and can carry the Taco in its bed.

They are good vehicles, but cannot do what a 1/2 ton can do in hauling or towing or ride as good as a half ton rides, and are small inside. They get nearly the same gas mileage or less.
I honestly dont see the point in them as a truck.

As a compact utility vehicle that does high miles with low maintenance well they are great. But overpriced in the truck market by like 5k. Again, they have built a solid reliable reputation that gains them that extra money, but its all profit for them now. Its certainly not going into cost of metal

A Taco isn’t a 3/4 ton pickup, it’s a different animal. If you need a 2500 or a 3500 it isn’t a substitute. You aren’t going to plow with one, or tow real heavy shit or do the other stuff a heavy duty pickup does.

But I’ll tell you that you see an awful lot of really shiny pickups around town that have never towed anything, only get put in 4wd during the occasional snowstorm, have never seen dirt, etc. Trucks without scratches in the bed even. These guys don’t really need a half ton pickup most of the time.

Really apples to oranges though. You’re talking about a stripped Tradesman Ram vs. a loaded Tacoma TRD or Limited to get the prices close. You can spend huge $ on a half ton pickup. Like 2 Tacos worth.

Believe me I’m not some Toyota fanboy either. My other car is a Hemi Challenger. But I wouldn’t trade my Tacoma for any other truck. For off roading, deer hunting, home improvement shit- the stuff I use a truck for- it’s great.

I have been a life long General Motors customer but now I’m bailing. Last nite the transmission in my truck let go. Ordinarily I wouldn’t be to upset but this is the third truck in a row to have this happen to me. I paid 45,000 for this truck and it’s only a couple years old ! The last few trucks have all crapped out at approximately 100,000 miles. I’m beginning to think that the computer or brain in the truck is programmed to do this !! ( job security at dealership repair shops). I don’t go 4 wheeling or beat this truck AT ALL ! It is my life blood and it’s all hi way miles !! It’s led an easy life. Reading on line about it , people are saying the life expectancy is about a 100,000 miles ! WTF ! Aren’t we putting these trannys in the abrams tanks ?? I hate to give my money to dodge or ford but I’m out of the gm family now. I still owe 20,000 on this truck! God bless our armored mechanics !🇺🇸
The allison in the abrams is a totally different animal than the diesel pickups just fyi and if you want a heavy duty truck right now for general pickup truck use, Ford with the 6.2 gas is the simplest most reliable and proven way to go right now by far and it can tow most anything just fine. The hemi's eat camshafts like it's going out of style amd they are pigs, the chevy's have too much new and unproven stuff going on. If you truly need a diesel (90% of the people that buy them really don't need it at all) it's a complete crap shoot, but I'd still probably go with Ford right now, the 6.7 is pretty solidly figured out at this point, the aluminum body and almost everything on the truck is designed to prevent corrosion, and the ford transmissions generally hold up well. The duramax isn't a bad engine but the new chevy's have a lot of electronics issues and the allison is not all its cracked up to be, and the cummins in a ram is great and the aisin trans is great but the quality on the rest of the truck is a such a disaster it's almost criminal and add to the fact that fiat chrysler is like half chinese...good luck.

Last edited:
I got my truck back tonight. 2,300.00$. The guy basically rebuilt it in the shop. I think he saved me a few bucks. Prices for a rebuilt one or one out of a totaled truck in the junk yard were no bargain either. Kudos to Richie Ellis at advanced transmission in Plymouth 👍

I got my truck back tonight. 2,300.00$. The guy basically rebuilt it in the shop. I think he saved me a few bucks. Prices for a rebuilt one or one out of a totaled truck in the junk yard were no bargain either. Kudos to Richie Ellis at advanced transmission in Plymouth 👍
Hope it works out, always looking for a good transmission guy to sub stuff out to.

I really want to buy another truck but am torn about straying from GM. I’d like to test drive the tundra I think
I think what has been pointed out in this thread is what do you need a truck for?
If your not hauling heavy and working the shit out of it , buy what you like after planting your ass in one and driving it.
Like I said i have customers with pretty F250 , GM 2500s and such. No plows , dont haul anyrhing and sure aint "working" it.
I also have toyota and jeeps all lrfted and set for off road use that never see dirt?
Then i have the owners who ask their trucks to do much more than the limits.
By what you like.

Last edited:
I really want to buy another truck but am torn about straying from GM. I’d like to test drive the tundra I think
Lots of love for the Tundra but it’s built off the Sequoia frame is it not??
At work we had one and what a POS that turned out to be. Saw it up on the lift one day and when the wheels hit the shop floor it was traded that same week. Rust City.
4 AC charges. R&R the rear HVAC coil twice along with the line set. Brakes once. Chased some bad coils and a few other items. All in under 70k.

A Taco isn’t a 3/4 ton pickup, it’s a different animal. If you need a 2500 or a 3500 it isn’t a substitute. You aren’t going to plow with one, or tow real heavy shit or do the other stuff a heavy duty pickup does.

But I’ll tell you that you see an awful lot of really shiny pickups around town that have never towed anything, only get put in 4wd during the occasional snowstorm, have never seen dirt, etc. Trucks without scratches in the bed even. These guys don’t really need a half ton pickup most of the time.

Really apples to oranges though. You’re talking about a stripped Tradesman Ram vs. a loaded Tacoma TRD or Limited to get the prices close. You can spend huge $ on a half ton pickup. Like 2 Tacos worth.

Believe me I’m not some Toyota fanboy either. My other car is a Hemi Challenger. But I wouldn’t trade my Tacoma for any other truck. For off roading, deer hunting, home improvement shit- the stuff I use a truck for- it’s great.

Not really....look at a new Taco. Stripped is 32K, moderately spec'd is 38-40k. Loaded TRD's are pushing 45 or more. No one is buying two stripped 4wd Taco's for the price of one 4WDTradesman Crew 2500 with a few options on it.

I used to have Tacos and traded them every 4 years. Finally needed a larger truck Dodge for plowing and family. That truck has lasted me 15 years and the kids are grown.

Lots of love for the Tundra but it’s built off the Sequoia frame is it not??
At work we had one and what a POS that turned out to be. Saw it up on the lift one day and when the wheels hit the shop floor it was traded that same week. Rust City.
4 AC charges. R&R the rear HVAC coil twice along with the line set. Brakes once. Chased some bad coils and a few other items. All in under 70k.
they are all rusting badly, toyota did warranty a few million rusted out frames.
Now with the toyota frames it was a manufacture "error" by Dana who made the frames.?
Dana paid out 25mil to toyota for that mess.
Well at 160k toyota replaced my frame...

i have replaced more GM AC components than any other manufacture in short time.
Condensor, lines , compressors-lots of compressors. Oh and GM blend door issues.
Its all fun every manufacture has its issues.

Last edited:
A lot depends on routine preventative maintenance. I had a 2002 BMW 325 that I drove 300,000 miles over 12 years, sold to a college kid who drove it for a couple of years and then made more money parting it out than he paid me for the car. Had a 1992 Volvo 240 that my wide drove for 20 years and 300,000+ miles finally sold it to a kid because the roof pillars were rusting out. I now have a 2008 Jaguar XJ (big sedan) - 180,000 miles and going strong. With the exception of the Volvo neither the BMW or Jag are recognized as trouble free long mileage cars.

A lot depends on routine preventative maintenance. I had a 2002 BMW 325 that I drove 300,000 miles over 12 years, sold to a college kid who drove it for a couple of years and then made more money parting it out than he paid me for the car. Had a 1992 Volvo 240 that my wide drove for 20 years and 300,000+ miles finally sold it to a kid because the roof pillars were rusting out. I now have a 2008 Jaguar XJ (big sedan) - 180,000 miles and going strong. With the exception of the Volvo neither the BMW or Jag are recognized as trouble free long mileage cars.

2002 BMWs always confuse me. 2002 BMW? BMW 2002? Who knows?

I bought a Suburban in Nov 2019 that had a meticulous owner who did all the right things and they were on Carfax. The truck had about 90k miles. Put a 3 yr 36k on it bumper to bumper. Ive used almost 10k worth of repairs from that warranty and there are more issues. Right down to the tear defroster not working. Wife had to have it and I never buy new. It was a single driver company LTZ all highway miles rear seats never sat in.
We will never buy one again.

Back
Top Bottom