Losing a friend to Alzheimers!

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My best friend here in Albuquerque is in bad shape. He is also an Engineer, and a Vietnam Vet like me, and we have known each other since the early 80's.

I would ask for prayers, but it seems like it may be too late![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

He is not only starting to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but is now going full on retard. He has a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome
and is driving me crazy. It is hard to lose a friend you have had for so many years to such a horrible disease.!

Every time we talk now, he drives me crazy. He was a conservative Republican for years, and now I can hardly hold a conversation with him without wanting to slap
him uoside his head and knock some sense into him!

Talking to him is like trying to talk to a Jehovah's Witness or a damn Mormonr! He can't even comprehend logic or reason anymore.

I am waiting for what is next.........…and he comes over in makeup and tells me he wants to change his name to Kimberly?

Last edited:

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
That sucks. My wife worked in an Alzheimer's nursing home. Sad place to be in. It is basically a noney mill as the nurses care for over 50 patients per shift.

If you slap him he won't remember. But you will.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kim,

I've missed your posts :)

My best friend here in Albuquerque is in bad shape. He is also an Engineer, and a Vietnam Vet like me, and we have known each other since the early 80's.

I would ask for prayers, but it seems like it may be too late![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

He is not only starting to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but is now going full on retard. He has a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome
and is driving me crazy. It is hard to lose a friend you have had for so many years to such a horrible disease.!

Every time we talk now, he drives me crazy. He was a conservative Republican for years, and now I can hardly hold a conversation with him without wanting to slap
him uoside his head and knock some sense into him!

Talking to him is like trying to talk to a Jehovah's Witness or a damn Mormonr! He can't even comprehend logic or reason anymore.

I am waiting for what is next.........…and he comes over in makeup and tells me he wants to change his name to Kimberly?

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can deal with the Alzheimers…….When we go out to breakfast, I just have to watch his driving to make sure he doesn't miss taking the right
turns. But all he rants about is how much Trump needs to ne impeached, and he babbles so much trash talk he forgets to turn!

I made a bet with the sorry bastard two months ago that Trump would never be impeached. Now he says I owe him 10 bucks because Tramp has
been impeached! How do you argue with somebody that is that stupid!

Last edited:

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I watched my grandfather who was my best fishing buddy from the time I was able to walk die from Alzheimers. I would never wish it on my worst enemy.

My thoughts are with you Kim as you walk this valley with him. Try to overlook his TDS diatribes as much as possible and do your best to remember the good times you had together.

If he does have Alzheimers, he really shouldn't be driving. I convinced my grandfather to give up his keys and I would take him fishing myself. He had other family close by that could take him places he needed to go. My grandmother couldn't drive due to sight issues.

Last edited:

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can deal with the Alzheimers…….When we go out to breakfast, I just have to watch his driving to make sure he doesn't miss taking the right
turns. But all he rants about is how much Trump needs to ne impeached, and he babbles so much trash talk he forgets to turn!

I made a bet with the sorry bastard two months ago that Trump would never be impeached. Now he says I owe him 10 bucks because Tramp has
been impeached! How do you argue with somebody that is that stupid!
Sorry about your friend. But, Trump was impeached so you owe him $10. Impeached is like an indictment. He will be "acquitted" in the Senate, but that doesn't change that he was impeached (just like Slick Willie).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So which should we be praying that he overcomes...Alzheimers or TDS? /sarcasm

My grandmother had Alzheimers, and it was brutal watching her degrade over the last 10 years or so of her life. Seeing her no longer recognize family and friends, and no longer even know who she was...words can't even describe that. May your friend find his peace long before he gets to that point.

yogi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
He might not understand but he's lucky to have a great friend like you. I hope you guys have as much fun as you can before he fully slips beyond the pale.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Based on the laughter emojis, I have a sneaking suspicion that Sky was equating Alzheimer's with TDS, in jest at his old friend that turned Left somehow.

If the gentleman does have Alzheimer's and the TDS is just a symptom of that, my deepest sympathy. Remember him for what he was.

Last edited:

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So what if Trump is a sleaze, lies through his teeth, cheated suppliers when in construction, etc. ... He is my sleaze and I will vote for him.

Put another way - would a member of the FSA vote for a Republican if it was proven the Democratic candidate was totally corrupt and the Republican one morally pure? I expect the answer would be "that's different, we're talking about my free stuff here". Most vote in their best interest, not as a way to reward good behavior and punish bad.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its a rough disease. You can talk to someone, explain some thing they are worried about (like taking their pills, etc), and convince them it is ok, and that they should not worry. Then next day you see them, and they are worried about the exact same thing....having forgotten EVERYTHING you told them the day before.

for a while, my dad thought there was a bomb in his closet (a digital lock safe i had gotten him for a present, since he was paranoid someone would steal his stuff). He was sure it was going to blow up, every time he saw it. Had to take it away.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sad to hear this Kim. The man you knew as your friend is gone. Mourn him, and then figure out how you will walk with this new person that looks like your friend, but is not. The person in his place looks like him, has some of his memories and experiences, but is at best a child-like version of the man you've known for +30 years. As others have said, you cannot reason with him because his capacity to reason is gone. Prayers for you and your friend.

p.s. Your friend won the bet. Trump has been impeached (aka. charged). He has not been convicted of any of the "crimes" with which he has been charged, nor is he likely to be.
p.p.s Your friend is further proof that progressive liberalism is a mental disorder.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry about your friend. But, Trump was impeached so you owe him $10. Impeached is like an indictment. He will be "acquitted" in the Senate, but that doesn't change that he was impeached (just like Slick Willie).
Actually I don't owe him 10 bucks, because our bet was that the impeachment would never hold water. My friend is convinced that Trump "should be, and will be removed from office."

Reactions: TLB
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its a rough disease. You can talk to someone, explain some thing they are worried about (like taking their pills, etc), and convince them it is ok, and that they should not worry. Then next day you see them, and they are worried about the exact same thing....having forgotten EVERYTHING you told them the day before.
If you're making it to the next day, or even a few hours later in the same day, you're still in decent shape. You can at least still have somewhat of a meaningful conversation/relationship with that person. With my grandmother, about 12 years before she passed, her memory span was less than a minute, and it only deteriorated from there. About 5~6 years back, when she still recognized family and friends, just by walking out of her field of view and back into it (or if she turned her head the other way and the looked back at you), it would be like a new visit to her...she had no recollection that she had just seen you mere seconds ago. Eventually she wouldn't recognize anyone, lost the ability to do anything for herself, and in the last few weeks/months of her life couldn't even make coherent words.

I'm not trying to demean your situation in the slightest. I'd urge you to enjoy the time you still have where they still know you.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
RULE #27) Prayers are the only thing 'You can take with you'...

Prayers sent.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kim, let's take some serious steps before it is too late.

Check with your police department if they have GPS bracelet program. We have them here and they save lives.

Here is a copy of the info we provide here:
Project Lifesaver is a 501 (C) (3) community based, public safety, non-profit organization that provides emergency responders and caregivers with the equipment and training required to protect and, when necessary, quickly locate individuals with cognitive conditions that cause the propensity to wander, such as those with Alzheimer’s or autism. Through the use of state of the art radio frequency technology, innovative search and rescue techniques, and accredited first response training, Project Lifesaver member agencies have, to date, successfully located more than 3,600 special needs individuals during an episode of elopement; the average recovery times for these rescues are less than 30 minutes, which is 95% less time than standard operations.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have a good friend who is on the decline. Early onset dementia. Some of you here on NES know him. It's tragic.

It just really, really sucks...

:-(

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Maybe just divert the convo away from politics any time he brings it up? Even if u have to keep repeating "I don't feel like discussing politics you old [insert friendly insult of choice].

Both of my grandparents have dementia. If he's still driving, he's still a ways away from some of their symptoms. Grandmother is the same way, can talk non stop about trump and any awful news that pops up on TV without interruption for seemingly forever. Just takes alot of patience and constant reinforcement to give the necessary social support they need without constantly getting a headache.

Love them both no less now than when I was a kid. Just sad to see how the brain can deteriorate later in life.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sorry to hear it, Kim. That is my personal worst fear - that I come down with TDS Alzheimers. All I can say about the TDS is just change the subject every time he brings it up. That's what I do with some of my Brothers who suffer from TDS.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good friend who is on the decline. Early onset dementia. Some of you here on NES know him. It's tragic.

It just really, really sucks...

:-(
I have mentioned that I volunteer in the retirement home. The most important thing is the monitoring because accidents can happen very fast. Also very important is to keep them company as much as possible. Try to do things with them they may enjoy. Sometimes it could be just listening music together or watching movie. Never get angry and never show that something may be wrong with them. This is hard to do, but always know that there is a soul you are talking to, and this soul is getting ready for a different world, world we may not know yet, but they are ahead of us, and they are experiencing it from time to time already.

Top Bottom