• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lose LTC Quickly...update post 112

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, if you want to be offended, go ahead. I really don't care. What I was talking about are multiple generations of people in a family who come to view lack of freedom and dependence on others as a way of life. That state can exist, literally, next door to another multi-generation family with completely different views.

As for the rest of it, I think it should be self-evident I am not advocating the use of force against innocent people. Again, you took an example of 5 guys out west, armed and peaceable, and said:

My point is that Dorcester's existence -- for better or worse -- should not limit my rights. For some reason you think there are "slimeballs" there that steal cars. I don't know. I don't live there. But I do know that densely populated areas have a number of problems when it comes to liberty.

I will accept your usage of "generations" as ambiguous in the context you used. Thanks for clarifying.

The 5 guys: Not sure if you read the entire article, it was a terrible example meant to prove a point. I was pointing out just how terrible of an example it was.

Dorchester: I will not call you clueless and dismiss you. Evidently you are not familiar with Dorchester. There are definitely "slimeballs" that steal cars in Dorchester, they also perform drive by shootings, muggings and any manner of criminal activity you can imagine. It is not known as one of the "garden" spots of the Boston Metropolitan area.

The minority that don't care are the same people that would be doing it irresponsibly without a law anyway; all the law would do is make soccer moms feel better without actually altering the behavior of the people ho have such little respect for their neighbor to pull that shit in the first place.

If you are in a crowded area and pop off some rounds in the air, the best course of action is for you neighbors to arrive en masse and put some guns in your face to persuade you to do the right thing before something gets broken or someone hurt or killed. Once life, liberty, and property of others is infringed upon, then call the cops.

NES has a lot of soccer moms.

So then it is ok to call the cops, right? My liberty has been infringed upon, and THAT is why there is a law against shooting in the air.

Last edited:
Making bullets fall on your head is a criminal act, whether there is a law against shooting in the air or not.

No, no, no. The way it works is that you are allowed to do anything that is not specifically prohibited by law. That is why we have to have laws. Otherwise, anything goes.

No, no, no. The way it works is that you are allowed to do anything that is not specifically prohibited by law. That is why we have to have laws. Otherwise, anything goes.

Right!
Do whatever the hell you want, but my liberty ends at your nose.

This is the basis of individual rights. everything else is just details.

That's why the 'law,' shooting a gun in the air is a fraud, but hurting someone with your bullet is not.

Malum prohibitum vs malum in se.

Last edited:
You. Don't. Get. It.

If the dropping bullets are not hitting you property, your body, or in anyway restricting your rights, you should have no legal recourse.

If the bullets are hitting you property, your body, or in anyway restricting your rights, then there should be legal recourse.

Do you understand the difference?

You are not getting it. The bullets are falling out of the sky, they may land on my property, your property. The person who shoots them in the air has no friggn clue. But when they do so, they ARE infringing on OUR rights to walk safely into OUR yards without the possibility of getting hit in the head with HIS bullets. HE is violating our liberties by his actions.

Right!
Do whatever the hell you want, but my liberty ends at your nose.

This is the basis of individual rights. everything else is just details.

Yes and no. YOUR bullet does not have any freedoms, rights, or liberties. So all the law is telling you, is that YOUR bullet is not going to go flying through the air to places unknown.

You. Don't. Get. It.

If the dropping bullets are not hitting you property, your body, or in anyway restricting your rights, you should have no legal recourse.

If the bullets are hitting you property, your body, or in anyway restricting your rights, then there should be legal recourse.

Do you understand the difference?

It's becoming crystalline that he has no concept whatsoever...To TR, Liberty means: Anything that the law provides that keeps me safe and warmy...

oh, and another problem is that your "liberty", traveling about 1200 fps, when it reaches my nose, cannot be stopped by you, can it? Especially when you are a half a mile away and cannot even see the bullet or me.

You are not getting it. The bullets are falling out of the sky, they may land on my property, your property. The person who shoots them in the air has no friggn clue. But when they do so, they ARE infringing on OUR rights to walk safely into OUR yards without the possibility of getting hit in the head with HIS bullets. HE is violating our liberties by his actions.

Wait, so now the kid that had a few and was carrying a holstered firearm was shooting into the air?

It's becoming crystalline that he has no concept whatsoever...To TR, Liberty means: Anything that the law provides that keeps me safe and warmy...

What is crystalline is that you think you should be able to fire bullets into the air, and that if someone is struck, then they have to figure out who did it, and too bad so sad if they can't. BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, so now the kid that had a few and was carrying a holstered firearm was shooting into the air?

Welll, the track got a bit crooked somewhere aways backs, are you surprised? And no, I did not start the bullets flying through the air. It wasn't me. Terminator maybe did it.

Yes and no. YOUR bullet does not have any freedoms, rights, or liberties. So all the law is telling you, is that YOUR bullet is not going to go flying through the air to places unknown.

[rofl]

I can shoot my gun in the air all day long without a single projectile leaving my property, yet it is still illegal for me to do so.

In my action of firing into the air, I would not be violating the liberties nor property of any other, yet I can still be charged with a crime. This is what is known as "malum prohibitum."

[rofl]

I can shoot my gun in the air all day long without a single projectile leaving my property, yet it is still illegal for me to do so.

In my action of firing into the air, I would not be violating the liberties nor property of any other, yet I can still be charged with a crime. This is what is known as "malum prohibitum."

And would you know if someone had wandered onto your property?

I'd like to try and inject a neutral point of view into this discussion, and try to help people understand opposing points of view. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

I think that the issue is that there are some things that don't directly have a victim, but increase the chance of causing an incident that does. There are truly "victimless" activities (sitting at home having a beer) and crimes with an obvious victim (homicide, theft). However, there are some activities (like drinking and driving) that while on their own are victimless, carry a risk of causing an incident with a victim (vehicular homicide). I think where the main disagreement in this thread is coming from is the level of acceptance of said risk, and how to deal with it.

Some people are saying "Any level of risk is acceptable, as long as no actual injury/death/etc. occurs then no crime has been committed." Others are saying "Some risk is okay, but activities that are truly dangerous should be illegal to prevent incidents from occurring." Of course, what defines "truly dangerous" is unclear.

I think we all agree that firing rounds into the air in a densely populated area is dangerous and stupid, and carries some risk that bullets will land on people or their property. However, there seems to be some disagreement as to whether the level of risk is acceptable, and whether it should be illegal to fire said rounds.

Think of some other things that people do that are dangerous and stupid, and consider whether you think the force of law should be allowed to stop them, or whether they should only be punished after they have caused injury, loss of property, or loss of life.

Personally, I think both arguments have merit, but both have their downsides too. Neither is a panacea for all the world's ills, and reasonable people should be able to disagree on which is "better" and have a reasonable discussion as to why.

[rofl]

Don't confuse him with statements representing anything with even a minuscule of logic in it...Just keep thinking: "safe and warmy, safe and warmy"...

And would you know if someone had wandered onto your property?

That's called trespassing. If you're trespassing and it's posted not to do so, it doesn't matter if you get hit with a bullet. In the same way that if you trespass on property where someone is hunting and you get shot. You have no recourse because you violated someone else's property.

Your example is the same as saying "What if someone runs out into the middle of a gun range and gets shot."

Oh, and try reading all the definitions in the dictionary, not just the first one that pops up on Google. I know it takes a lot of effort to actually read them all, so I post the relevant one here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation

Definition #4:
A group of individuals belonging to a specific category at the same time: Chaplin belonged to the generation of silent-screen stars.

Something that has the potential to violate your rights is not the same thing as actually violating your rights.

So you think there needs to be a law against shooting your gun up in the air because of what could happen. This seems reasonable to you. Well, people do it anyway. Now what? Maybe someone comes along and says that there needs to be a law against owning a gun in a residential area, because of what could happen if someone had a gun and decided to break the already existing law against shooting into the air. You see where this is going?

We keep making laws because people do things that have a potential to violate rights. The people who would violate another's right are typically the ones who will do so whether there is a law against it or not. So we end up violating the rights of the law abiding so that their rights aren't violated. How does this make sense? Hint: It doesn't.

You are taking what I call the "classic approach", trying to justify your argument by defining it in different terms. The simple fact is, when you shoot up in the air, there is a very tiny chance that bullet could do damage or injury (extremely infinitesimal), a REASONABLE person would agree that is probably not something he would do. In your second example, a REASONABLE person would not suggest eliminating guns, because that would leave people defenseless. The whole greater good vs lesser evil argument. There is no case where firing a gun into the air for the hell of it is a good idea. It is a foolish idea, and a really stupid argument.

With that said, I will leave it to galactically brain damaged to continue arguing about it.

That's called trespassing. If you're trespassing and it's posted not to do so, it doesn't matter if you get hit with a bullet. In the same way that if you trespass on property where someone is hunting and you get shot. You have no recourse because you violated someone else's property.

Oh, and try reading all the definitions in the dictionary, not just the first one that pops up on Google. I know it takes a lot of effort to actually read them all, so I post the relevant one here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation

You just go ahead and shoot someone on purpose or by accident when they are trespassing and see what happens to you. You are talking out your butt. The person has EVERY recourse against the shooter.

As for the definitions? What makes you think that the one you dig and dig for is the only one that applies? Did the Almighty die and leave you in charge?

You are taking what I call the "classic approach", trying to justify your argument by defining it in different terms. The simple fact is, when you shoot up in the air, there is a very tiny chance that bullet could do damage or injury (extremely infinitesimal), a REASONABLE person would agree that is probably not something he would do. In your second example, a REASONABLE person would not suggest eliminating guns, because that would leave people defenseless. The whole greater good vs lesser evil argument. There is no case where firing a gun into the air for the hell of it is a good idea. It is a foolish idea, and a really stupid argument.

With that said, I will leave it to galactically brain damaged to continue arguing about it.

I know lots of people who think shooting in the air is reasonable and you're apparently surrounded by others who would think it's OK. So what exactly are you defining as a reasonable person? It appears you define reasonable as "anything I agree with". Also rights have nothing to do with what you find as reasonable.

You just go ahead and shoot someone on purpose or by accident when they are trespassing and see what happens to you. You are talking out your butt. The person has EVERY recourse against the shooter.

As for the definitions? What makes you think that the one you dig and dig for is the only one that applies? Did the Almighty die and leave you in charge?

No, they don't have every recourse. There are plenty of cases and law protecting people shooting on their own property.

Also, I didn't "dig and dig" I read the dictionary entry, which apparently you did not. I like how you're argument is now I shouldn't be literate or learned. Probably not the best angle for winning and argument.

Gotta love how these threads mutate. First it was just a guy carrying a gun who happened to have drank some alcohol.

Now we're talking about firing large projectiles into the air when that discussion started it was about bird/dove shot. [laugh]

-Mike

Liberty: Make Sure It's Safe And Warmy

new010.jpg

Gotta love how these threads mutate. First it was just a guy carrying a gun who happened to have drank some alcohol.

Now we're talking about firing large projectiles into the air when that discussion started it was about bird/dove shot. [laugh]

-Mike

What's more awesome is we now know TReischl roams around like his own little no knock SWAT team tresspassing on people's property and fully expects, like the SWAT team, that he has the law protecting him and thus no harm shall come and he can prosecute those evil land owners at will.

Totally worth the thread drift to find that one out [laugh]

Liberty: Make Sure It's Safe And Warmy

new010.jpg

I owe you a beer.

Next time I head out that way.
:)

- - - Updated - - -

What's more awesome is we now know TReischl roams around like his own little no knock SWAT team tresspassing on people's property and fully expects, like the SWAT team, that he has the law protecting him and thus no harm shall come and he can prosecute those evil land owners at will.

Totally worth the thread drift to find that one out [laugh]

As they should, they beleive in liberty and self reliance. They should be burned at the stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom