• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looks like I will be on TV

The gun in the home being 7x more likely to be used against an occupant than an intruder argument sounds about right to me.

But that has nothing at all to do with guns. Thats what you would call a matter of convenience. If there is a person who is going to attack another and harm them, then of course they will use a gun if there is a gun in the home. Take away the gun and they will use a knife, a screwdriver, a hatchet, etc.

That statistic doesn't prove that guns are related to acts of violence, that just proves that humans are resourceful by nature.

"I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying," said Gene Ferrara, the police chief at the University of Cincinnati.
I guess that means that his policemen are forbidden to shoot at any gunmen on campus? What're they going to do, speak sternly to anyone shooting a student on campus and hope that they'll give up?

"My belief is we ought to be focusing on what we do to prevent the shooting from starting."
Like, say, making sure that any potential lunatics know that there are students legally armed on campus?

Ferrara was a Cincinnati cop for more than a dozen years before he became chief of police at the university. He also said that there are practical concerns from a law enforcement perspective: If you're responding to the scene of a shooting, how do you sort out who is the bad guy and who is the heroic student with a permit?
Probably because the sane one is the one who put his gun down when the cops showed up - or is that too hard a concept to grasp? These ARE college students, and over 21 at that - one would think that they'd be smart enough to do that. [rolleyes]

"The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
But - but - didn't he just say "I don't think the answer to bullets flying is to send more bullets flying"? Or did he mean to say "I'm the only one pro-feshnul enuf to send bullets flying on campus"?

Last edited:
"The other side of that, I shoot everybody with a gun who doesn't have a uniform on and I then I end up shooting somebody who was a citizen with a carry permit," Ferrara said.
What the hell? Is an innocent citizen going to train his handgun on your officers? If not, then why would you shoot him or her? What are you, a lunatic? Just for making such a statement makes me think that Ferrara and his officers shouldn't carry guns!

[angry]

IIRC, the 7x factoid wasn't necessarily limited to the gun itself. People who kept guns in the home were 7x more likely to be killed than they were to kill an assailant with the gun. So a home invader (e.g., Tony Perkins) breaks in and stabs you to death while you're in the shower (silly of you not to have had a gun with you there), that counts. OTOH, if you pull the gun on him and only scare him off or wound him, it doesn't count.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom