• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looks like I will be on TV

So my name finally was added to the SCCC website, and not a week later already got an interview request. Morning News anchor from Fox 61 has emailed me requesting I be on the show to talk about carry on campus. Exciting, but I am nervous! Anyone in the CT area that watches fox 61, Ill give an update of when I will be on.

Pretty cool...
What sorts of questions are you expecting, and what answers will you have for those questions?

Start preparing. Put together a list of questions and do mock interviews with someone. Try to anticipate slanted questions and how you would reply to them. Your replies need to be short, snappy, and to the point.

Start preparing. Put together a list of questions and do mock interviews with someone. Try to anticipate slanted questions and how you would reply to them. Your replies need to be short, snappy, and to the point.

Seriously. Why not post the issue you think or as much of the issue that you think you will be required to speak on. For example do you think hes going to go with the 'Will you get angry over a bad grade and slaughter the class?' vs. 'What would you do if an gunman came into your class?', or 'What would you do if you got an alert that an gunman was on campus would you run to meet him?' and so forth.

Post it and we can grill you with the many anti-stances and questions we've gotten over the years.

That and use your phrasing carefully, firearm vs. gun, etc...

Congrats.

thanks for the responses so far guys...

Talked with the anchor on the phone for about 10 minutes. I am going to be interviewed tomorrow morning, and it will probably be on during the 7 o'clock hour.

Some points I would like to make (only have about 3 minutes) :

It is NOT against the law to carry on campus in CT, only against policy.

We want already licensed individuals to be able to carry, not promoting all students carrying.

The pulling out of guns at parties argument is invalid, all big parties at uconn are off campus, where licensed individuals can already carry, this would not change anything as far as that goes.

Text messaging systems, emails, will not help at all when someone is opening fire in the classroom, and the police will take only a few minutes to respond, but by then the shooting is already done, the only chance is having a licensed individual there to stop him..

I will even let them stay with the no guns in dorms so they can still have some feel good policy, it wouldnt matter anyway because anyone that is over 21 with a carry permit is almost definitely living off campus anyway

If anyone wants to play devils advocate and ask some anti questions that we hear all the time, post them up so i can prepare for them....

be prepared to be treated like a joke, your sentences cut off in mid word, and being given a minimum amount of time. especially if there is someone there from the 'other side'.

From what I hear and see, that's the usual treatment.

A great quote" When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

angry kid in class...... over the last 10 - 20 years there has been a huge movement of concealed carry legislation, in all but 2 states concealed carry is allowed and in about 38 states permits are issued to all qualified individuals. When this movement was going on the opposition said that there would be gunfire in the streets like the wild west. This did not happen, and in fact crime has decreased in almost all cases. There is no valid reason why someone that carries in their everyday life would go crazy and pull a gun in class. In Utah carrying is allowed on all colleges per state law, and we have not seen any instances of this happening there.

Gunman in class:

Its really hard to say without actually being in the situation, but if someone was shooting at classmates, and i was able to safely engage him without putting others in danger, I would probably have no choice but to do so.

If anyone wants to play devils advocate and ask some anti questions that we hear all the time, post them up so i can prepare for them....

When you say stop them do you mean you will shoot into a crowd to stop them?

Is training available to you? What makes you qualified?

What if you are at a party and drinking?

What if you got a bad grade?

Do you think that people who want to carry should have to take mental exams?

Like i said it I would have to be in the situation, but obviously you wouldnt shoot into a crowd, you would need to evaluate the situation and engage the shooter only if it is absolutely safe to do so.

Concealed permit holders are qualified individuals. In order to get a license one must undergun firearms safety trraining, submit to a backround check, have a clean record, submit fingerprints to the state etc. Individuals that go through this process are almost always very active in shooting sports. Arguing that only police have the training to carry is not fair, you will find that many officers only shoot around twice a year when they need to qualify. On the other hand most CHL holders shoot weekly or more.

Like i said with partying and drinking, the change im advocating would not change anything as far as that goes. Drinking and parties at uconn are almost all offcampus now. Licensed individuals can already carry to these parties if they chose to do so. But licensed individuals are responsible adults that do not carry if they are going to be drinking. Changing this school policy would in no way put guns and alchol together. Furthermore, Im not asking for the housing policy to be changed, so guns still wouldnt be allowed in dorms.

It is rediculous to suggest someone would pull a gun if they get a bad grade. THis is like the arguement that issuing concealed carry permits will lead to violence in the streets and shootings over small conflicts like road rage. Millions of permits have been issued in this country and this violence in the streets has not happened, in most states that have adopted concealed carry legislation, crime has gone down.

When you apply for a permit, those who are declared mentally incompetent are already disqualified through the backround check...

thanks clinotus.....

hollewud7 said:
thanks clinotus.....

No problem. I would also take jhblaze1's suggestion and give G.O.A.L a call, the infromation they can provide might be extremely helpful if the host keeps cutting you off from making your points.

Good answers btw,

And now round II.

What if someone grabs your gun and uses it?

What if someone sees your gun and you alarm other students or another gun carrier sees your gun and shoots you first?

What makes you think that you are, and I understand that you say you "qualify", but what makes you qualified to be a defacto protector of people?

Are you in fact saying that you are better than the police, and will take the law into your own hands?

Where did you grow up? Both parents married?

Will be watching the news for this one.

But I am curious, no devils-advocate, why give away the "no weapons in dorms" card? If you were to live in a dorm, you'd then be unable to carry whatsoever.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, but why give it away prior having the issue up for debate?

There is almost no chance of someone else grabbing a persons weapon and using it. First of all a concealed weapon needs to be just that, concealed a person with a concealed handgun license knows this and makes sure that they have a good method that keeps there firearm out of public view. People are carrying all around you, how often do you noticed someone has a concealed weapon on them? And in the extremely remote chance of someone seeing it, what is the chance that that person is going to go after that weapon, why would they do that?

If someone sees your weapon, which I already established is extremely unlikely, they would have no reason to engage you if you are not using the weapon to attack them or someone else.

I am not a protector of the people. I have enough training to protect myself from and attacker when it is safe to do so. If that scenerio happens to be in a classroom, then I will protect myself if I can safely engage the shooter without putting others in harms way.

I am not saying i am better qualified than the police, and would not take the law in my own hands. The only time a CHL holder would use a weapon is if there life or someone elses life is in immediate danger. CHL holders do not go looking for bad guys, they are simply prepared to protect themselves if a bad guy engages them.

I do not think I am better qualified than the police, I just want to bring up the arguement that the average CHL can often have more practice and training with firearms than the average police officer.

It is NOT against the law to carry on campus in CT, only against policy.

This is debatable due to ambiguous wording, and there have been public officials who claim otherwise, citing the fact that the legislature specifically removed the exemption for permit holders from the ban on campus carry, but left in some ambiguous wording. I would suggest you avoid making this claim as, right or wrong, you may face a quote from someone with credibility by position (attorney working for the state, etc.) stating that your facts are incorrect. Besides, since you are arguing what public policy *should* be, the finer points of current law aren't really the key item being debated.

rob,

I appreciate your concern, but I haveeee to play this card, its what im basing almost everything on.... I have called out the dean who said it was illegal in the paper, and when i called her out she said she was wrong, its only against policy. I also brought it up in an email to the chief of police who also did not say it was against the law, only against policy.

The law only states primary and secondary schools. In application thats always k-12 and highschool. Where is the argument of it being illegal....

Of the "may-issue" states, Alabama and Connecticut are considered "discretionary/reasonable
issue" states. Though licenses in Alabama and Connecticut are seldom denied, local authorities
can and do place their own restrictions on licenses/permits. Iowa is sometimes defined as a
“discretionary/reasonable issue” state; though, twenty-one of the ninety-nine counties in Iowa
maintain licensing policies that more closely resemble a “right restricted/very limited issue” state.
Though Iowa, Alabama, and Connecticut do not have state laws prohibiting concealed carry on
college campuses, a prohibition against concealed carry on college campuses can be included as
one of the restrictions imposed by the local sheriff's office that issues the license or permit.

Will be watching the news for this one.

But I am curious, no devils-advocate, why give away the "no weapons in dorms" card? If you were to live in a dorm, you'd then be unable to carry whatsoever.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, but why give it away prior having the issue up for debate?

I agree. By conceding this ahead of time, it just makes your other arguments weaker. If a CHL holder can carry a gun safely everywhere else, they shouldn't suddenly become "dangerous" upon entering a dorm.

emailed michael guzman of SCCC and he gave me a call back with a bunch of great advise. Search him on youtube and you can see some of real good interviews he did

Furthermore, Im not asking for the housing policy to be changed, so guns still wouldnt be allowed in dorms.
You are leaving yourself open here.

"Well if you think that students with guns are not safe in the dorms how can you think they are safe in the classroom? Especially a stressful environment like a classroom?"

fair enough, guns in the dorm, just like they are at schools in utah, yet none have been stolen or misused... I will however still say since CHL holders are 21 and over, the majority live off campus..

I applaud you wholeheartedly. Thank you for having the constitution and fortitude to do this. I know you'll make us all proud here. Good luck tomorrow!

fair enough, guns in the dorm, just like they are at schools in utah, yet none have been stolen or misused... I will however still say since CHL holders are 21 and over, the majority live off campus..

Or you could mention that if guns are to be kept in teh dorms, the student are expected to abide by safe storage laws and the guns are to remain unaccessible to unauthorized users.

Or you could mention that if guns are to be kept in teh dorms, the student are expected to abide by safe storage laws and the guns are to remain unaccessible to unauthorized users.

I don't believe there are any 'access by unauthorized users' type storage laws in CT. Only Ch. 529 Sec. 29-37i, which is about making reasonably sure that a minor (< 16 years old) is not likely to gain access to a loaded firearm.

Back
Top Bottom