• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looks like Colt's getting back in the double action revolver business

The quality better be there.
just thinking this over again, iirc, one of the reasons they shut that line down was they had so much hand work into the python they couldn't sell them for what they had into production costs. if the python is going to sell any serious units without a giant price tag, don't expect the same quality.

Awesome still can't buy them until we get a new AG then maybe.
Strictly speaking, and as much as I despise our lunatic tyrant AG, wasn't it Colt's unwillingness to deal with the cost & hassle of getting its handguns on the MA EOPSS list (not the AG's "top secret" list) that has kept them out of our ridiculous moonbat state? [thinking]

just thinking this over again, iirc, one of the reasons they shut that line down was they had so much hand work into the python they couldn't sell them for what they had into production costs. if the python is going to sell any serious units without a giant price tag, don't expect the same quality.

Assuming the skilled labor is still around, I would guess that they'll try for the same quality even if it means an astronomical price tag. I bet they want a piece of this ridiculous market for snake guns that we're seeing these days.

Assuming the skilled labor is still around, I would guess that they'll try for the same quality even if it means an astronomical price tag. I bet they want a piece of this ridiculous market for snake guns that we're seeing these days.
yes, and they had a ton of handwork to get that silky action and to get that beautiful deep blue lustre on the blued guns, well no one could match it and i've never seen anything like it since.

well they can't make their dough on .gov contracts so now they want to transition back to the lowly civilian market. nah no thanks. if their name wasn't "Colt" few people would care what they're up to in 2017. [puke]

The reps at the Colt display in Louisville at the NRA Convention last spring told me a revolver was in the works, not a question of if, but when. A new generation Python may resemble it externally but given the hand fitting involved, they couldn't make enough of them at a competitive price, although people will spend thousands of dollars for custom 1911's and now Korth's are being marketed more aggressively in the US by Nighthawk. I handled and dry fired one of those in Louisville. As a Python owner, I would prefer the Korth over the Python.

What I think you will see if something that looks like a Python with a Trooper Mk V action, think Colt King Cobra with a vented rib and maybe a better finish.

$699 for a new Colt revolver? These will sell fast, until they wind up sucking, which is my bet.

Think of it this way.

If you thought Colt sucked after leaving the civilian market wait until you try them as reproduced models at a lower price point.

The reps at the Colt display in Louisville at the NRA Convention last spring told me a revolver was in the works, not a question of if, but when. A new generation Python may resemble it externally but given the hand fitting involved, they couldn't make enough of them at a competitive price, although people will spend thousands of dollars for custom 1911's and now Korth's are being marketed more aggressively in the US by Nighthawk. I handled and dry fired one of those in Louisville. As a Python owner, I would prefer the Korth over the Python.

What I think you will see if something that looks like a Python with a Trooper Mk V action, think Colt King Cobra with a vented rib and maybe a better finish.

A lot is said about the hand fitting that would be needed to make a python today. What that overlooks are the changes in manufacturing technology which have happened since the python went out of production. Despite all the fanboy whining, S&W's use of MIM for hammers, triggers, and rebounds has all but eliminated the need for hand fitting those guns anymore. There's no reason the same couldn't be done by Colt.

A lot is said about the hand fitting that would be needed to make a python today. What that overlooks are the changes in manufacturing technology which have happened since the python went out of production. Despite all the fanboy whining, S&W's use of MIM for hammers, triggers, and rebounds has all but eliminated the need for hand fitting those guns anymore. There's no reason the same couldn't be done by Colt.
ya know, the "new" smiths just aren't the same to us old timers that remember when. my 629 talo is not even half the gun my transition 6 1/2" 29 is. just the quality difference on the case hardened hammer and trigger make my antenna stand up. i'll still buy them but no, not the same to me, not even close.

ya know, the "new" smiths just aren't the same to us old timers that remember when. my 629 talo is not even half the gun my transition 6 1/2" 29 is. just the quality difference on the case hardened hammer and trigger make my antenna stand up. i'll still buy them but no, not the same to me, not even close.

The old guns were subject to a lot more variability based on the fitter who put it together. Some came off the line great, some were terrible.

The new guns come off the line with a consistently mediocre trigger, but they are slicked up much more easily than the old Smiths. I have no problem getting a ~7 lb DA pull that sets off all primers in about an hour on any centerfire K/L/N gun.

As for any subjective quality difference between the old and new hammers and triggers - well, it's subjective. The new triggers don't look as nice, but they work just fine and I've never run into one with a defect. But if you do, the consistency between them means you can swap one out with no fitting.

Back
Top Bottom