• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looks like Colt's getting back in the double action revolver business

Good to see. If they do resurrect the Python, they will need apply custom shop level QC to it. Agree that Python prices are ridiculous now, at the "I MUST have it!!!" level.

Want something with Python level finish and better accuracy? Deals on excellent condition Dan Wesson 44VH Monson's can still be found, as long as one is willing to forego the box [wink]. DW 1911's have established a good reputation, they should bring back their revolvers as well. In any case, good to see Colt thinking about Joe Public again.

- - - Updated - - -

The quality better be there.

LOL, I think everyone will be thinking about this.

IIRC, Colt never actually stopped making the Python and SSA models, they're produced individually only on a special order basis by the custom shop. And as you would expect, the prices are staggering.

I'd probably buy a Python if they started mass producing them again. Shit, the walking dead will probably sell millions without colt having to do anything. Reintroducing the snake guns could go really far in helping Colt redeem itself as long as the QC is up to snuff.

IIRC, Colt never actually stopped making the Python and SSA models, they're produced individually only on a special order basis by the custom shop. And as you would expect, the prices are staggering.
not 100% on this but i believe they never stopped the saa's. and python production stopped when they ran out of parts that were already in stock. again, i'm no expert on colts, i could be way off on this.

I would expect these guns to be modern interpretations of the originals, incorporating more modern manufacturing and design. Otherwise they'll cost a ton, the profit margin will be slim and the sales volume will be slimmer.

I am skeptically optimistic. What do you think the MSRP will be on a new Cobra?

Oh please. I'm so done with Colt. I was done with them a decade ago. They'll find a way to piss on customers again. Never was that impressed with my Python. Gimme a 65 every time.

If they don't put that Royal Blue finish on them they will just be another black gun IMO. More importantly, just where do you think they will find the talent to hand fit them if and when they start building them? Anybody can build a gun with a sandpaper trigger.

If they don't put that Royal Blue finish on them they will just be another black gun IMO. More importantly, just where do you think they will find the talent to hand fit them if and when they start building them? Anybody can build a gun with a sandpaper trigger.

If the design & manufacturing is done right little or no hand fitting is required. If.

I'd probably buy a Python if they started mass producing them again. Shit, the walking dead will probably sell millions without colt having to do anything. Reintroducing the snake guns could go really far in helping Colt redeem itself as long as the QC is up to snuff.

yeah if the retained the skilled workers that made it happen. Colt has a long way to clim back into the hearts of many after they basically gave the finger to commercial sales as they road .gov contracts. I think Colt has seen the light after they almost lost the contract for the M4s. I think they see going forward their .gov contracts are not going to hold them together.

yeah if the retained the skilled workers that made it happen. Colt has a long way to clim back into the hearts of many after they basically gave the finger to commercial sales as they road .gov contracts. I think Colt has seen the light after they almost lost the contract for the M4s. I think they see going forward their .gov contracts are not going to hold them together.

I agree. And on the skilled workers front, they need to give the boot to the auto union that controls them and start hiring gunsmiths and non union machinists instead of displaced Ford workers.

If the design & manufacturing is done right little or no hand fitting is required. If.

There is a word we used in machine shop. Tolerance. When bidding work I would look at the tolerances and of course it determined the cost versus risk. I worked for so many engineers that just slapped +/-.003 on everything and many times it was totally needless.

Please don't forget all the complaints on here about guns leaving shops of other well recognized names in the industry that just outright sucked. Personally, I don't have a lot of faith that Colt is going to do the right thing because many of today's consumer keeps a tight grip on a buck and a new Python MSRP of 1500.00 or more only has so many available buyers.

Selling just AR's and 1911's isn't going to keep them afloat.

It absolutely could. You have to be a god damned moron to not be selling them by the truckloads in today's market. But, you know... Colt.

Hell, just spending the initial investment to make all their 1911s MA compliant and added to the list would pay for itself multiple times over I'd imagine, same goes for Springfield Armory.

Oh how I hope they don't go Smith and Wesson's route and screw with the classic designs. I remember picking up a new produced, beautiful case hardened model 25 (I think) and not only finding a hammer without a firing pin, but a flipping keyhole in the frame. Piece of carp.
I lust for classic Colts for a reason, and that reason is the design and workmanship, if you don't have that, I'm getting a Ruger.

I agree. And on the skilled workers front, they need to give the boot to the auto union that controls them and start hiring gunsmiths and non union machinists instead of displaced Ford workers.

So,basically they think they can make up the lack of making any money by pulling out some older models.
Ugh. If colt didn't pull that new contract out of their arse they would have been out of business.
Colt used to be better.....heck why don't they pull out some of the JMB patents they bought to keep others from getting them and see if any of those designs are something consumers would want?
I didn't know the auto union infiltrated the gun manufacturing ....uggghhh good luck colt

There is a word we used in machine shop. Tolerance. When bidding work I would look at the tolerances and of course it determined the cost versus risk. I worked for so many engineers that just slapped +/-.003 on everything and many times it was totally needless.

Please don't forget all the complaints on here about guns leaving shops of other well recognized names in the industry that just outright sucked. Personally, I don't have a lot of faith that Colt is going to do the right thing because many of today's consumer keeps a tight grip on a buck and a new Python MSRP of 1500.00 or more only has so many available buyers.

Exactly. I have a low tolerance for Colt's BS. [rofl]

If you can't hit bottom, might as well beat the hell out of the sides until you get it [smile]

LOL

If if works half as good as it looks, I want one. I have never really cared for snub nosed revolvers, but that one is sweet.

I can't wait to hear the reviews. And if they re-introduce the Python I want one.

Back
Top Bottom