Looking to reload lots of toys and ammo getting expensive

Im new here but have been researching this question for over a month and cant find a straight answer. Here it goes

Just bought my 458 socom so im going to start reloading, dont worry im gonna start with my other calibers probably .223 or .45 dont know yeat i have them all from .22 to sw500, but anyways of track a bit sorry.

I dont want to buy a line of reloaders, What is a good reloader progressive that can do all the way from .22 to .50 caliber?

You're gonna reload .22? I always kinda thought that akin to counterfeiting pennies, minus the illegality.

Im new here but have been researching this question for over a month and cant find a straight answer. Here it goes

Just bought my 458 socom so im going to start reloading, dont worry im gonna start with my other calibers probably .223 or .45 dont know yeat i have them all from .22 to sw500, but anyways of track a bit sorry.

I dont want to buy a line of reloaders, What is a good reloader progressive that can do all the way from .22 to .50 caliber?

A Dillon 550 would handle everything between, but not including, the endpoints of the range you specified.

I reload 30 calibers on an L-N-L progressive (including .500).

I've had a couple of Dillon 550s, and I think that an L-N-L will better suit your needs. In fact, the L-N-L is the perfect press for someone that wants to reload lots of ammo in lots of calibers.

Last edited:
I reload 30 calibers on an L-N-L progressive (including .500).

I've had a couple of Dillon 550s, and I think that an L-N-L will better suit your needs. In fact, the L-N-L is the perfect press for someone that wants to reload lots of ammo in lots of calibers.

But...the customer service of Dillon.....Brain Enos....

I agree with EC, I only reload a handful of calibers on my LnL but by the thousands and wouldn go for manual imdexing and emptying primer catcher.

I have a Dillon 650 and love it. I usually load in several thousand round lots. That said if I were starting out I would look hard at the LNL. Seems a bit easier to use.

Both the LNL and Dillon will do the job..... They each have their quirks and strengths but in the final analysis either will work well for you....

Both the LNL and Dillon will do the job..... They each have their quirks and strengths but in the final analysis either will work well for you....

I agree with this. You pretty much got your answers.
If you want to see a 550B in action that can be arranged.

I hate my Hornady LNL, the case feeder is crap. Maybe 3x I have been able to load 100 rounds without something going wrong. Its truly a piece of shit. I was able to load faster and with less problems on my Lee Pro 1000.

Thanks everyone for the help, I have already seen them all in action, i wont go for the 550b because its manual, so im gonna beat myself for a couple of hours on it between the lnl and the 650, but thanks everyone again for the quick response ill post oup picks next week when i start setup

I hate my Hornady LNL, the case feeder is crap. Maybe 3x I have been able to load 100 rounds without something going wrong. Its truly a piece of shit. I was able to load faster and with less problems on my Lee Pro 1000.

I agree that the case feeder (in particular the parts that shove the case into the shellplate) is the big weakness of the machine. There are three things that I found that help it to function a lot better:

1. Keep the base plate, retainer spring, and the slot the retainer spring rides in clean.

2. Replace the retainer spring as soon as it gets any kinks in it.

3. Polish the base plate where the cases land and get shoved into the shell plate.

I agree that the case feeder (in particular the parts that shove the case into the shellplate) is the big weakness of the machine. There are three things that I found that help it to function a lot better:

1. Keep the base plate, retainer spring, and the slot the retainer spring rides in clean.

2. Replace the retainer spring as soon as it gets any kinks in it.

3. Polish the base plate where the cases land and get shoved into the shell plate.

Yep, done all that. The part that attaches to the case feeder mount, where the cases drop and stacked up, before they get dropped down to the feeder. This part bent where the ear go on the upright red square case feeder mount. How the F does this wear out? Loading 40 sucks because the small feeder tube is just to small and the large one doesn't control it well.

Then the actual case feeder is spring loaded..why? whats the point. Plus the adjustment rod is topped out of threads and has no adjustment left.

The case feeder switch has crapped out, (already burnt out a motor) I had to jump it, so it just continually runs, until it drops a 40 sideways because the funnel is poorly designed and I get a cases spilling out the top. The whole front of it is cracked from me punching it.

I broke the adjustment pauls a few times when the press jammed and I sheared the shell plate key in anger.

The Bushings are a great idea until the come loose, which the powder dies always does

And the eject tab is to small, so cases sometimes ride over and jam up the press. Probably because the shell plate has wiggle to it.

Other than that, the Press is ****ing great

Yep, done all that. The part that attaches to the case feeder mount, where the cases drop and stacked up, before they get dropped down to the feeder. This part bent where the ear go on the upright red square case feeder mount. How the F does this wear out? Loading 40 sucks because the small feeder tube is just to small and the large one doesn't control it well.

Then the actual case feeder is spring loaded..why? whats the point. Plus the adjustment rod is topped out of threads and has no adjustment left.

The case feeder switch has crapped out, (already burnt out a motor) I had to jump it, so it just continually runs, until it drops a 40 sideways because the funnel is poorly designed and I get a cases spilling out the top. The whole front of it is cracked from me punching it.

I broke the adjustment pauls a few times when the press jammed and I sheared the shell plate key in anger.

The Bushings are a great idea until the come loose, which the powder dies always does

And the eject tab is to small, so cases sometimes ride over and jam up the press. Probably because the shell plate has wiggle to it.

Other than that, the Press is ****ing great

Want to sell it or trade? Send it to Hornady and let them tweak it or get a Dillon.

Well i went with the 650 reason being is i talked to all my buddies and they said they would buy ammo of me, so i guess my first batch will b 100, ill shoot it the next day, make sure everything is allright, and ill come home and make 1000 or so. Thank you everyone for the input and help, i greatly appreciated, ill post of picks of my room and toys this weekend when im done.

Oh and also BrianEnos.com is the sh!t Great Person to talk to, he was actually telling me not to buy the 650 unless i do 1000rds or more between caliber changes.

Again Great guy.

Well i went with the 650 reason being is i talked to all my buddies and they said they would buy ammo of me, so i guess my first batch will b 100, ill shoot it the next day, make sure everything is allright, and ill come home and make 1000 or so. Thank you everyone for the input and help, i greatly appreciated, ill post of picks of my room and toys this weekend when im done.

Oh and also BrianEnos.com is the sh!t Great Person to talk to, he was actually telling me not to buy the 650 unless i do 1000rds or more between caliber changes.

Again Great guy.

Selling reloaded ammo without the proper licenses is a crime. Selling reloaded ammo without an insurance policy is crazy; you could lose everything you own. Once upon a time, I was ready to begin commercial reloading and had all of the licenses (state and federal). When I found out the price of the insurance ($2000+ per year in 1980s money) I gave up on the project.

Thanks alot for the input. I figured it wouldnt b a problem since it was just for friends. But o well better for me, more to shoot

Great way to loose friends. Ag the least maybe a squib load......and the pissing and moaning that a boolit is stuck. I load light plinking rounds 38spl out of the 357s for me and a friend..

Great way to loose friends. Ag the least maybe a squib load......and the pissing and moaning that a boolit is stuck. I load light plinking rounds 38spl out of the 357s for me and a friend..

+1. I will let friends work my press (once they know what they are doing), but I won't load ammo for them myself.

Back
Top Bottom