Looking to learn Turkey Hunting (shotgun), any willing teachers? South Shore, MA

Hi All,

I'm new to shotguns and hunting. I have a Mossberg 500A with a 28in Accuchoke barrel. I'm looking to go turkey hunting for the first time this year and would really like to go with an experienced, safety oriented turkey hunter. I live on the South Shore of MA. I'm a member of Old Colony Pembroke.

I'd love to even just have some advise on my SG to see if I am setup properly from a gun standpoint? The accuchoke barrel doesn't say what choke it is and doesn't necessarily look like it accepts threaded chokes?

Many thanks in advance.

JC

Last edited:
Get some calls and watch the videos to learn how to use them properly. Knowing what to use and when are half the battle. Don't wear any red, white, or blue.
When hunting solo, diaphram calls are handy. Try not to laugh as they tickle when used correctly. For me anyway.

I don't hunt turks but always have a call to calm the deer if I spook them.

Do what i dont have time to do...SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT. Locate an area that you cxan legally hunt. Food water cover,field edges, etc. Keep your eyes peeled when dreiving. Get out before 1st light, do some locate-calling, crow,owl calls most common. Once you find an area get to know the terrain as well as possible. I usually hunt from pre-set groundblinds, but often get out for better shot or because a Tom can be stubborn (or dumb) as hell. Smart as hell more like it.

Accidentally posted before i finished. Knowing the landscape gives you the confidence to move quickly (or not) depending on weather variables, spring/fall etc.Also, if and when you locate a Tom or two roosting get as close as possible, quietly of course. Dont over call, i lioke the pot n peg myself.Try Myles Standish State Park, lots of birds.

Back
Top Bottom