1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Looking to joint a gun club close to Roslindale Ma.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimdev45, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jimdev45

Jimdev45

Hello, I’m looking to join a Gun Club fairy close to Boston. I’m in Roslindale and not sure of all my options in my area? I know of Braintree and I think there are clubs in Westwood and Canton as well. Any info would be a great help!

2. bill o

bill o

Boston Gun and Rifle in Dorchester. If you want a club where you can draw from a holster, Hopkinton sportsmens Association or Harvard.

3. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

Closest to Boston might be Weston? Indoor only.

Jimdev45 likes this.
  4. robjax

robjax

Holbrook isn't too far.

Jimdev45 likes this.
  5. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

Westwood gc not to far passing Bubbling Brook on 109 westbound Medfield ,Westwood line also Walpole sportsman club in Walpole. Good luck!

Jimdev45 likes this.
  6. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

There's ones in Woburn too.. I think.

7. Eugenio.FV

Eugenio.FV NES Member

Holbrook might be a tad farther than you hope, but its a fantastic club. Diverse, great people, and quite nice facilities. There is an initiation period, but its very easy to complete.

I just joined recently, and would highly recommend it.

Oldarmy likes this.
  8. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

What about Mystic Valley in Malden? They have a great indoor range there - no outdoor range.

9. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Realistically, Braintree is the closest club to you which you can likely join the quickest. The clubs out on rt109 maybe closer, but I know for a fact WW is hard to get into as membership only opens once a year. The though of driving to Malden, or even Weston, from Rossi gives me a panic attack even thinking about. You basically could only shoot on certain days/times, unless you want to make a range trip a half a day operation.

Jimdev45 likes this.
  10. jayhitek

jayhitek NES Member

I vote for Braintree too.

Jimdev45 likes this.
  11. Jimdev45

Jimdev45

Are they 24hrs?

12. Eugenio.FV

Eugenio.FV NES Member

Indoor range is, outdoor range I think is 10am til dusk. There is a meeting this monday if you want to check it out.

13. boscru

boscru NES Member

ames r & p i
    check out ames rifle & pistol club in north easton, less than 20 miles from roslindale, down rte 138. search the thread under gun clubs. lotta negatives over the years from former members.

i joined anyhow, and it's worked for me over 6 years. very strict safety rules.

quiet right now, check the website for next membership meeting, probably 9-10-18. site will also give all detail re: membership, fees, safety rules, applications, etc.

pm me if you need more info

14. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

MJ card?

15. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Many, many Boston residents in BRP for reasons mentioned, plus many indoor lanes and a rifle range.

Bit of a PITA drive from Rosi though.

16. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

BR&P is great but I agree with you that driving there from Roslindale area is a horror show unless way off-hours.

Since Roslindale is close to the old US-1 (I'll always call it that!), heading South on the VFW Parkway to the Rte. 140 exit towards Mansfield and MF&G is a lot easier commute (except when Gillette has events, but one can learn ways to bypass that too).

I am a member of both clubs for a long time, 19 yrs BR&P and 13 yrs MF&G. MF&G is building an indoor range (yes there is very real construction happening) but has tremendous flexibility at what you can shoot and how on the 50 yd range (plus a 100 yd range), whereas BR&P has great indoor ranges (currently being rebuilt as I post this) but lots of rules on what you can and can not shoot/do/distances, etc.

There are some other clubs closer to Roslindale on the way towards MF&G as well. Westwood, etc. so look thru the reviews in the Clubs sub-forum, pay some visits, etc. and decide where you want to be.

Jimdev45 likes this.
  17. friscoeast

friscoeast NES Member

Westwood not open to new members

18. Wjhall

Wjhall NES Member

Jimdev45 likes this.
  19. Len-2A Training

Last I was told by a SF&G member was that they shut down accepting new members. Tons of restrictions make it less than a desirable club to join.

---------------

I was aware that Westwood closed off membership as well.

Wjhall likes this.
  20. Tim_McD

Tim_McD NES Member

Not now, not ever...☹️☹️☹️

21. 71montess

71montess

The Westwood club is small and wants to keep membership around 300. As people drop they take in members and it's usually after the first of the year.

22. Wjhall

Wjhall NES Member

I am a member at both, depending on what kind of shooting you look for these clubs may work. SF&G has a trap range and a skeet range as well as an indoor (24x7) range and outdoor Pistol and rimfire rifle range. They do have a process for membership that takes a while. I wasnt aware of a closing to new members.

Massapoag Sportsmans Club is also a good shotgun club, one trap and three skeet fields. An outdoor range with similar restrictions to pistol and rimfire and an indoor pistol range. The good news here is that membership is a very quick process that can get you out on the range.

Neither club is setup for good rifle work, but again, depending on what type of shooting you look for. Both clubs are smaller than some of the others like Braintree, but both are easy to use when you want to get out. Best of luck.

23. Len-2A Training

SF&G always had a nice laid-back Sunday morning (open to the public) skeet and trap fields. Very many years ago when I was last there to shoot skeet/trap, members were very helpful to newbies.

When I became an instructor, I paid a visit to the club's outdoor range and was saddened to see a sign that forbid loading more than 6 rds on that range (this is for revolvers/semi-auto pistols/.22LR rifles). The club president at that time bragged that they don't allow >5 rds loaded on the indoor range. Later a student of mine (member of SF&G) told me that they made a new rule . . . if you shoot your carry gun you aren't allowed to reload it and reholster it on the property. I've known this student in various capacities for ~40 yrs and have no reason to disbelieve him. I don't go anywhere near that club and don't care to check out this info.

Massapoag was always primarily a skeet/trap club, fast paced for experienced shooters with frequent registered matches. That's the extent of what I know about that place.

24. Silversnake

Silversnake

An additional problem with SF&G is they seem to not actually have a web page and their Facebook page is pretty devoid of useful information. Maybe I'm just a product of the internet generation, but I really like being able to read all the details of a club's rules, facilities, and processes from the comfort of my laptop on a Sunday night to see if they're right for me before driving out and finding out they've got a rule I can't live with. Thankfully, I have NES to get some of the dirt on clubs.

Massapoag has a pretty decent page and I just learned a lot there.

Michele likes this.
  25. Len-2A Training

SF&G always wanted to be "under the radar". The FB page I looked at stated that it was "unofficial" and it appears unsupported by the club itself. The last time I was there, maybe 5 yrs ago when my former student asked me to meet him there to show him a holster that I use, I learned that the only way to find out about the club, membership, etc. was to physically go there when some officers were there to answer questions. Not a viable way of gaining members in the 21st century IMNSHO.