• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to get started with reloading.

SSW

NES Member
I did not see a thread on this, if it is there sorry for the repeat!!!

I am looking to start reloading.

I really enjoy shooting .45ACP, but also shoot 9mm and .380 and it is getting plenty expensive for ammo. After speaking with some NES members at the Kelly shoot, I am convinced relaoding is the way to go, especially as I would really like to get involved with competative shooting.

I have never reloaded ammo before and am looking for suggestions on getting started.

Is there a a good beginners set-up available? Is there a preffered brand for presses ect??

I am really starting from zero on this and would appreciate any/all suggestions.

Thanks!!

I see your located on the North Shore. Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden offers reloading classes a few times a year and might be closer to you. There is nothing listed yet, but you could ping clerk-mvgc and ask him. He's a member here, runs the classes and one of the good guys.

EC is a good teacher. He got me started before he taught formal classes. If you want to get in to competitive shooting, don't waste your time/money with a single stage, start with a progressive. I'm partial to the Hornady Lock n Load, but the Dillon 550 and 650 are good options as well.

If I where to start over I would take a class 1st. I instead spent several months reading and watching videos.
2 you need a budget. I DO NOT save a penny reloading but I have fun doing it and shoot close to 3x as much ammo with the same money I would normally spend.
3. you need the time to reload( wife works nights, kids in bed by 8) gives me a few hours every night to reload.
4. I went with a single stage only because I spent the bulk of my budget on reloading components( primers,powder,bullets ect ect and dies)
5. find other loaders and check out their set up. I happen to meet a guy at the mass state trap shoot who loads just about everything and had old titan loaders right up to the dillon 1050 cranking out 9mm. After seeing all the presses work side by side( this guys mobile home was a rolling ammo factory) I found the hornady progressive to be the least mechanical,
5. watch a bunch of you tube videos for now, also the sticky here for videos.

Taking a class is a great idea. The only thing I'll ad here is to get together with a shooting buddy that has been doing it for a long time and knows what they are doing. See the entire process and ask lots of questions. I've gotten a couple of guys started that way.

Budget out all the gear you need and realize you will not save money, just shoot more, as mentioned above.

If you are at all getting into competition the same applies, get a progressive machine. I reload on a single stage and if I needed 1k a month of round I would want to hang myself using a single stage month in and month out.

Get a reloading book, or many of them for the data in them and also for the suggestions that are in the general chapters.

Think of reloading as a hobby that lets you enjoy another hobby (shooting) and not as a cost saver at first. If you do any sort of high volume shooting the equipment will be paid back in short order but you will still have the time invested.

Last edited:
price check, what im into my set up. includes shipping(most I purchased before last Xmass free shipping) I rounded up
5 die sets assorted manufactures 150.00
tumbler lyman 1200 turbo 70.00
Hrnady clasic press set 179.00
RCBS trimmer 79.00
casr prep tools 25.00
assorted lubes,books,media 35.00
I had everything else already
rebates
rcbs -20.00
sold hornady hand primer -30.00

into my set up just under 500.00
spent the rest of my budget on primers,powders,bullets purchased in bulk
enough to reload 2000+ of the 3 major cals I shoot. It hurt but I planned,saved and sold tons of stuff to get my budget.
I have loaded 500 rounds of 30-06 for my garand so far. @ .30 ea vs .53 ea surplus ammo vs 1.00+ for new production saved 115.00 so far over the surplus stuff
loaded and shot 1000 rounds of 5.56 @ .14 ea vs the cheapest wolf ammo I have found .25 ea My reloads perform so much better than the cheap stuff. 110.00 saved
been loading up the FREE bullets from the hornady press purchase in 45acp cost me 14.00 in shipping for 500 bullets with this batch Im loading 45 acp for under 3.00 box.

Thanks everyone,

Reasearch
Class
Budget
Equipment
Time

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!!

I've been enjoying this reloading hobby for 38+ years.
It has paid off over and over and over again. Even when I buy new equipment and gadgets, I'm still way ahead of the game (financially).

And, I enjoy doing it.

Think of reloading as a hobby that lets you enjoy another hobby (shooting) and not as a cost saver at first. If you do any sort of high volume shooting the equipment will be paid back in short order but you will still have the time invested.

Back
Top Bottom