Looking to get rifle, handgun, and a shotgun..your opinions??

I'd be careful about buying an AR in .223 if you are planning to hunt. I don't know any New England states that allow hunting big game (deer, bear ) with a .22 caliber gun, even .223.

In Maine, it's anything .22 Magnum and up.

Okay my .02 worth

pistol = Sig p220

Rifle = Bushmaster in .223 or Remington 700 in30.06

Shotgun = Benelli, Beretta, Remington, or Ithica all in 12 ga.

I'd be careful about buying an AR in .223 if you are planning to hunt. I don't know any New England states that allow hunting big game (deer, bear ) with a .22 caliber gun, even .223.

Then in MA you are limited in some areas to no LARGER than a .22, and think about convincing the Game Warden you meet in the woods that a .223 ISN't bigger than a .22.

My recommendations, a Carry Gun. 2-4 Inch S&W
.22 Rifle.... Ruger 10/22
You need an AR
A Savage Bolt action .308 with scope for hunting anything in New England
Remington 870 Shotgun (I prefer the 20 Gauge)

So you can not hunt using .223 but you can with a .308? any reason?

Some states also have hunting regulations of no more mag capacity than 5 and NO FMJ. That alone can make an AR in .223 a bit tricky to hunt with

If I had my choice:

pistol - Walther PPS

Rifle - Armalite AR-10

Shotgun - Benelli M4 Tactical

What I have:

Pistol - S&W 39-2 9mm

Rifle - Stag AR-15

Shotgun - Mossberg 500

Last edited:
Some states also have hunting regulations of no more mag capacity than 5 and NO FMJ. That alone can make an AR in .223 a bit tricky to hunt with

Actually, an AR with a 5 round magazine and Barnes 75 grain TSX loads is a great rifle where .223 is legal for hunting.

It is settled that as long as none of the magazines ON YOU while you hunt exceed the maximum capacity, you are legal regardless of the fact that your rifle could accept larger ones. Just don't have them on you or in your vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom