Looking to get rifle, handgun, and a shotgun..your opinions??

good afternoon..I'm new to the board and should receive my LTC-A in the next few weeks. I am looking to get a handgun first, rifle second, and shotgun third.
1. I looked at the Walther P99 .40 1st then a friend suggested the S&W
.40 then the springfield XDm.. What do you think? I don't have a ton of cash but I don't want to buy something that feels like a plastic POC.
2. In the rifle department I was thinking AR but then saw the springfield armory standard M1A. I know these are 2 completely different rifles so I am just looking opinions on the 2. I starting boar hunting in texas and have used the AR but never the M1A.
3. Shot guns...I have no clue.

Thanks

It all depends on what you want them for and then you can cater to that. (ie is it for self defense, accuracy at long range, hunting, military history, or just fun to shoot at the range(without necessarily hitting anything)

Also, what calibers were you thinking about?

1 - a .22 of some sort for practice and THEN get a centerfire. You'll have a hard time finding the Springfield XDM as it's not on the EOPS list - you'll have to find someone who moved into state with it and wants to sell it.

2 - two totally different rifles, both competent for their mission... what do you want to do with your rifle? Personally, I'd first get... a .22 rifle. Cheaper to shoot, no muzzle blast to get you to start bad habits... Good ones are the Ruger 10/22, the Mossberg Plinkster, or the Remington 597. My personal favorite is the 10/22 simply because it's so darn customizable - you can make it anything from an AR-lookalike to a bull-barreled, custom-stocked, scoped tack-driver. What do you want to shoot today? (with no apologies whatsoever to Microsoft).

Whatever you do, ask around, and shoot it first. I made the mistake of not shooting the first gun I bought, and I regret it..

1 - a .22 of some sort for practice and THEN get a centerfire. You'll have a hard time finding the Springfield XDM as it's not on the EOPS list - you'll have to find someone who moved into state with it and wants to sell it.

Thanks I have look at the EOPS list.. I dont know what on it or not...

I was in the Marine Corps and I am very familar with the M16 A2 so I wanted to skip the duece duece. You make and excellent point though in regards to forming bad habits. I am looking for a rifle where I will be comforable firing between 100 and 200 yds. I know these days ammo seems to be getting harder to come so thats why I was looking at .223, 5.56, 7.62, .308,. Hunting boar and maybe deer...fun at the range and so on

What I have.

Socom 16 (M1A 16inch barrel)
Sig 229 in.40
Mossberg 590A1 w/Knoxx stock.

Those make me happy, for now.

Are you a lefty by chance.......As stated shoot as many types of guns you can get your paws on. Some will just feel right and shoot easier.
1911s handle very well for me
I carry a 4013tsw
rilfes Hmmmm dont have a favorite
shotguns I like brownings for 0/Us and remingtons for 870/1100 models

Want,like,need. This better than that...fun times ahead

Ah, so you're not an inexperienced shooter. Well, if you can afford them, the .22s are still good to have due to the price of ammo these days... and how hard it is to get the stuff!

check for the Walmart and Dick's ammo megathreads to see where they're stocked on a given day. [laugh]

A 94 in 30-30

or a pre-64 70 in 30-06?

Either are good choices, by the way.
there was a Winchester '94 in .30-30 at Callaghan's in Marlborough last week. Might still be there unless he sold it at the show this weekend.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_08_2009.pdf

is this it? are these to only ones we can buy or is this just an updated list with just new entries on it? again...new to mass
That's it... and even then you can't buy all the guns on that list since our AG has a hardon for GLOCKS and Kahrs, to name two that are on that list, and won't let them be sold in our state "because they're not safe enough for children". *spit*

You have not mentioned the amount of $ available for your project. Within reason if money is not tight, I'd go with the AR of some kind due to your familiarity with the M-16 family. The ranges back east are typically shorter so the .223 will be adequate for your needs in that respect. The cartridge is also suitable for deer at shorter ranges particularly with some of the 62-64 gr bullets with heavier jacket construction.

As to the handgun, there are no end to pistols of all shapes,sizes and calibres. I don't suppose a Browning Hi-power has entered into your consideration? Nice guns with a great reputation for reliabilty, and accuracy as far as semi automatic pistols go. I find recoil to be a problem so the 9mm works well for me.

Shotguns. A used Ithaca 37 or new Rem.870 will work as well now as they ever have. Very little glamour for the commandorati but very impressive on the receiving end. Good luck in your search.

God wants you to have an M1A...End of story...

The M&P .40, (if you must buy .40) is a nice gun. Buy one and then have Greg Derr work on the trigger for you...

If you're talking a Home Defense shotgun, look at a Benelli Super Nova Tactical. The gun is ready to go out of the box....If you decide you want to game hunt, you can buy a field barrel for it....

Good luck on your choices....[cheers]

Talking rifles only, I get the idea that your military background has you thinking in terms of a semi-auto with magazine capacity of 10 or 20. I wonder about the M1A as a hunting rifle. There is the issue of optics, and you may not want to scratch up such an expensive and exquisite firearm.

My main reason for posting is to mention the semi-autos made for hunting, e.g. by Browning. Also by Remington and Winchester. Among the other advantages, you get a bigger choice of cartridge. I know the odds are about 10 to 1 you'll say you want a bigger magazine for your days at the range, but I think they are worth a look for hunting.

can someone point me to the list of rifles that are legal in mass?

and thanks to all you..I have been reading up on the info you have provided

Semper Fi

Get the AR, since you've already got that system down, and then add a 22lr upper to get your ammo costs down.

With 5.56 running upwards of $275/1k for reloads, a $600 upper from Spikes, Model 1, or Tactical Solutions will get you a lot more trigger time.

You can turn an Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 into any kind of shotgun you want, although it will be a less expensive project if you start off with something you can use. If you want semi-auto, 11-87.

As MassMark said, Benelli makes a nice pump.

Pistol.....hmmm.....I like 45s....and 357Sig over 40. Personal preference, really. S&W M&P series is easy to find, and the trigger is fixable. Sig or Glock will be findable here in MA.

Second pistol either a 22lr target/plinker type (S&W 41,22a, Ruger MkI/II/II) or if you want a defense pistol trainer either the Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito. <See ammo costs above.>

good afternoon..I'm new to the board and should receive my LTC-A in the next few weeks. I am looking to get a handgun first, rifle second, and shotgun third.

1. I looked at the Walther P99 .40 1st then a friend suggested the S&W
.40 then the springfield XDm.. What do you think? I don't have a ton of cash but I don't want to buy something that feels like a plastic POC.
2. In the rifle department I was thinking AR but then saw the springfield armory standard M1A. I know these are 2 completely different rifles so I am just looking opinions on the 2. I starting boar hunting in texas and have used the AR but never the M1A.
3. Shot guns...I have no clue.

Thanks

1. I'm not personally a huge fan of the P99 and I have no justification for that. I have a s&w M&P40 fullsize with a Greg Derr trigger job that you're welcome to try. I shoot in Malden. All I'd ask is that you pay for ammo.

Good luck finding a Springfield in MA. If you look around long enough you'll find one but expect to pay a premium for it (i.e. significantly more than it's worth).

Get a Sig. I have a P229 in .40 that you can also shoot. It's a great gone. Sigs are build like brick sh*thouses.

When it comes right down to it though, the best gun for you will be the one that you shoot best/that fits your hand best.

Don't discount a .22 for your first handgun either. Everyone told me to get a 22 first, I didn't listen and went right for the .40 and I'd bet the farm my skills would have come along a lot faster if I practiced the fundamentals with a 22 rather than a 40.

2. Can't offer any advice here, but doesn't everyone need at least one AR? Why not cross that off the list early?

3. Are you a duck hunter? Pheasant hunter? Like to slug deer? Home defense only? Trap/skeet? Shotguns are great but each one seems to have a different purpose. If it's home defense/blasting pumpkins, the Rem870 seems like a solid choice. I'm planning to get one shortly in the 18" bbl.

No, no, no... he wants bigger magazines for when the zombie apocalypse hits!

Space%2BInvaders.jpg

I'm wondering about that parachute-like object near the horizon on the left. Is that the mother ship?

Everyone has already given you the logical choices.

Now here are mine!

2 3/4" S&W 500 Magnum
Barrett .50 (either semi or bolt action)

Yes, I can be a smart a$$ at times and welcome to NES!

Everyone has already given you the logical choices.

Now here are mine!

2 3/4" S&W 500 Magnum
Barrett .50 (either semi or bolt action)

Yes, I can be a smart a$$ at times and welcome to NES!
Be aware that this smarta$$ is the only guy I know who can conceal a 4" S&W 500 on his person for everyday carry. [laugh]

Handgun: I'm a Sig Snob, so +1 on jhblaze1's recommendation. Sig's are built like tanks and are guaranteed for life if bought new. (Using reloaded ammo technically voids this warranty,though). They're expensive, too.

Glocks are nice, but overpriced in MA thanks to the stupid laws. Also, I personally don't like internal firing pins on handguns. I like to see the hammer.

For range and competitive shoots, I would get a P226 because of the longer barrel. For carry, P229 or P239 depending on your body size and clothing.

Rifle: Everyone wants an AR, but coming from the military, you're going to miss the collapsible stock and burst mode. I don't care about the stock, but burst mode sure would be fun.

I have a Marlin, level-action 22 with a scope. It's a blast for plinking. If you want to plink with "extreme prejudice", get a semi-auto 22.

Shotgun: Can't help you. I'm waiting to inherit one someday.

Last edited:
I'd be careful about buying an AR in .223 if you are planning to hunt. I don't know any New England states that allow hunting big game (deer, bear ) with a .22 caliber gun, even .223.

Then in MA you are limited in some areas to no LARGER than a .22, and think about convincing the Game Warden you meet in the woods that a .223 ISN't bigger than a .22.

My recommendations, a Carry Gun. 2-4 Inch S&W
.22 Rifle.... Ruger 10/22
You need an AR
A Savage Bolt action .308 with scope for hunting anything in New England
Remington 870 Shotgun (I prefer the 20 Gauge)

Back
Top Bottom