• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to get a CCW in NH.

I'm looking to get a CCW in New Hampshire but there are some parts of the Form I have questions about. If I'm "self employed" (IE- Under the Table ;-) should I just fill in self employed? Also, who would I put for references? And what are the references for? I don't know all that many people, specially those who are into handguns [wink]

Thanks in advance!
Sean

I'm not a lawyer, but I think the concensus experience is that NH isn't looking to deny anybody without a damn good reason. I did one of my NH renewals listing "Self-Employed" without any questions or delay at all. I also don't know of anybody who's actually had a single reference contacted. Just put people who know you, who aren't on the FBI's 10 most wanted list and, on the off chance that they were contacted, wouldn't say that you're a raving lunatic or Al Queda agent. I suppose people who are "Dr.", "Rev.", "Capt." or "Prof." wouldn't hurt if you know any, but it really doesn't seem to matter. You shouldn't expect any trouble at all. (Unlike a certain state just south of NH that we won't mention so as not to ruin our digestion.)

Ken

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! Turns out I'm also looking to get a CCW for that certain southern state! My girlfriend lives in Boston and I'm ALWAYS down there, and lately the area shes in has seen abit of a spike in crime...

Wish me luck!

Thanks,
Sean

If you're a non-resident, getting a CCW for the People's Republic of Massachusetts is pretty straightforward, but expensive ($100/yr + extras). Residents get off cheaper, but may or may not get a permit depending on how careful they were when they chose their residential location (or more accurately, the chief of police in that city or town). Some cites/towns are essentially "shall issue" while others might as well be NYC.

Ken

Ken's advice here is excellent . . . thanks Ken!

One thing to add. MA can take up to 6 months to issue NR LTC-A! Since it is only good for a year, the process can be aggravating and there is NO GRACE PERIOD for NR LTC-As according to Chief Ron Glidden (Chairman of the Gun Control Advisory Board). The Grace Period wording was only inserted last year in the MGL paragraphs for Residents . . . they goofed and thus NRs get no such coverage.

Since NRs do not apply in person, I doubt that MIRCS is used and thus I question if the new system adds any speed to the NR process.

MA Renewals are the same as a "new application", with the exception of filing fingerprints (only done once), so there are no short-cuts for renewals. BTW, this is typical of government paperwork . . . I have seen certain gov't agency forms that demand proof of US Citizenship and have a paragraph stating that when the "proof document" expires, the person must provide further proof of being a US Citizen (so if your Passport expires it is assumed that you are no longer a US Citizen!), other agency forms that are "renewed" annually require copies of birth certificate each year! . . . I guess too many applicants were "reborn" in foreign countries during the year?? [twisted] Only the highly paid nitwits in government could come up with such bureaucratic waste like this for damn near everything.

Back
Top Bottom