• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to get a 9mm for the range, plinking etc.

I'm a relatively new shooter, and I wound up getting a 92FS. It's more accurate than me, is super simple to take apart/put back together, and hasn't had a single malfunction since I got it (about 900 rounds so far). My impression from reading around the forums is that all of your options have plusses and minuses (P226, G17, 92FS, M&P, etc.) but they're all solid guns, so go to the store, hold them, if possible borrow/rent them and try them out, and go with whichever one you like the most. That's how I wound up with the 92FS, and I haven't regretted it one bit.

Well I think that you have been given some good choices already, but I think you could save yourself some money by getting a used S&W third generation 9mm (5904 etc.). These guns were really very reliable and for the most part good shooters. The nice thing, too is that frequently they can be had with pre-ban magazines. I think these are very underrated guns, and they were produced during the "Glock Revolution." There is a budget version of the 5904 called the 915. It has a rougher finish and non-Novak sights and a traditional non-ambi decocking lever, but mechanically the same as the other 3rd Gen guns. These can be had in good condition for a very pretty decent price if you look around.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Check out my charity raffle for a Tokarev with a 9mm conversion kit in the general forum...sorry I know selfless promotion but it is for charity and it is a great gun for plinking at the range so it is on topic...

glock 17, sig P6/225, sig P226, 92FS, browning hi-power... all of those i'd place before the M&P personally. i don't know VA laws but if you're able to check out the springfield XD and XDm go hit those up as well.

Before I bought, I tried out as many different 9mm as I could. The Sig P226 was my favorite, but a little out of my price range. I liked my friend's M9 a lot too. I bought a Beretta 92A1 which is *almost* as comfortable as the Sig, but $200 less. The G19 was uncomfortable after 100 rounds, and the M&P trigger was awful (spongy, lots of lateral play). After a few hundred rounds, I'm very happy with the 92A1. I put rubber grips on to make it even more comfy.

Well I think that you have been given some good choices already, but I think you could save yourself some money by getting a used S&W third generation 9mm (5904 etc.). These guns were really very reliable and for the most part good shooters. The nice thing, too is that frequently they can be had with pre-ban magazines. I think these are very underrated guns, and they were produced during the "Glock Revolution." There is a budget version of the 5904 called the 915. It has a rougher finish and non-Novak sights and a traditional non-ambi decocking lever, but mechanically the same as the other 3rd Gen guns. These can be had in good condition for a very pretty decent price if you look around.

Mark L.

+1. The 3rdGen S&Ws are highly underrated. I have a 5906 that I don't carry much, but it's a great range gun. The only reason I don't carry it much is that I have several other 3rdGen semis in other sizes. All of them shoot well and are easier to carry concealed.[STRIKE] Four Seasons has a couple of 910s on their used page. Collectors doesn't have any listed right, now but in both cases I'd check in person. I bought my CS9 from Four Seasons and it hadn't even made it to the web page yet.[/STRIKE]

Ooops, didn't notice that you're in Virginia. In that case, you're likely to find even better deals on 3rdGen Smiths.

I'd like to check out the new XD 3.8.
It's got the new xtension mag that actually extends the grip.
Only cause I have an m&p and a sm glock family.
Can't beat a G17 or 19 for a plinker.
...Don't rule out the option of carrying later either.

Back
Top Bottom