Looking to buy some Tracer Ammunition

I've looked for Tracer 5.56, it's not that easy to come by, and it's pretty pricey. Gunbroker will have it, if money is no object. I think it was $1 round or more??

Do a "deep" google search.

I remember seeing barrels of it at Cabelas back last year when .223/5.56 was impossible to find. I think the price came out to around $.75/round if you bought it by the metric shit-ton.

Not too common here, we like our forests non-smoking.

I've seen .308 and .223 tracers going cheap at Riley's in Hooksett. Usually milsurp in cans.

I've bought 5.56 tracers for something like $59 for 120 rounds. They come in cardboard sleeves inside nylon bandoliers. They show up in stock every few months.

I've never shot them. I just thought they would be cool to have.

Last edited:
Be aware that tracer rounds, due to both the manufacturing process and the fact that as they burn during flight they get lighter and wobble, are no where near as accurate as normal ammo. My BCM upper will shoot sub 3/4" groups at 100 yards with 62gr and 77gr reloads. The best reload tracer group I've gotten was 2". At 300 yards it's far worse. They are literally barely minute of man. I can just about keep all of them on a IDPA target from the same rifle.

If you're stashing them I would try to shoot at least a mag each at 100, 200 and 300 just to understand what they are going to do.

Back
Top Bottom