Looking to buy a Hi-Point 995TS Carbine. Should I get 9mm or .40 cal?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am looking to get one of these hi-point rifles, and was wondering if any of you had any opinions/suggestions on which version to buy. From what I understand the 9mm ammo will be slightly cheaper than .40 S&W, but the stopping power will be less than the .40 cal. The .40 cal is a little bit more expensive, but has a lot more power behind it.

I only have an FID card until I turn 21, so I am looking for a rifle that takes pistol ammunition, so that when I turn 21 I can purchase a handgun in the same caliber as this rifle so that I can share ammo between the two firearms. I've been leaning towards the .40 because I want something with a little more power than just a 9mm. I already have an SKS rifle so I feel that if I got the 9mm version I would almost never shoot it and would choose my SKS everytime. I'm looking for something that I will want to shoot so that Im not always shooting my SKS everytime I go to the range, but dont want a rifle that will be a toy compared to my SKS and my 7.62x39 rounds.

This rifle will be used mostly just for shooting at the range, but will also serve as a home defense rifle, just in case. I've shot many kinds of 9mm firearms, but never a .40 cal, how much of a step down is the .40 cal from my 7.62x39 round that I use with my SKS in terms of power? How much more expensive are .40 rounds than 9mm?

PS - Anybody know some cheap sites to get a 995TS with or without accessories? I dont like buying online and dealing with FFL transfers but cannot find these rifles at my local gun shops anywhere.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

cstockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have the 9mm and just got the .45 and shot it for the first time today. You won't be disappointed in either. Don't waste the money on the .40 because the ladies in France want those. I own the old style "planet of the apes" 9mm and like the look better than the new ones. These carbines are not exactly superior quality firearms but they are like an ak47 in that they may be a bit sloppy but shoot like mad. They are actually very accurate as well and have a life-time essentially no questions asked warranty.

Call John at C&F and see if he still has more 9mm ones if that is what you are looking for. He may be able to get you a .45 as well. If he can't then let me know and I can email you where we got ours from...not a local place and a little more expensive but they were available.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I second the 9mm one. I picked one up from a fellow NESer and it's a great plinker and shares the ammo with my PM9. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks guys im gonna try to see how much I can get .45 ammo for and if I can find some for cheap.

@stockwell where did you get your rifle? Ive been looking around here but cant find anything

Top Bottom