• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to buy a 1911

I am looking to buy a 1911 in a 45 cal. What brand should I look at for the range and personal protection. I want to stay about 750.00 or cheaper. I would like everyones opinion. Thanks

Yep- not many options here in MA! I have a couple of S&Ws and although I've had a couple of issues I love them. However I don't use them for personal protection. Honestly for personal protection Glock is my choice.

I live in RI. I guess it would be a range gun. I have a glock 17, sigma40, CS9 and fnp-40. I would like a 1911 to round it off. Thanks again

In that case (based on my very limited experience), I'd recommend one of the lower model Springfields. They're on the inexpensive end, and they seem to be pretty good quality. I don't own one (living in MA), but I've put a box or two through one that someone from my club has.

Since I live in MA, I'm probably going to get an SW1911. I shot one briefly at the pumpkin shoot and it felt quite nice. I also shot a friend's Para, and it wasn't that great.

I have an S&W, and love it, two of my friends have Springfields.
Both are great guns. I would look for used in that price range.

Skip the scandium unless you are getting it for carry. For a range gun, more weight means less recoil. The scandium frame is lighter and more costly.

What do you guys think of a S&W 1911 SC for 800.00 brand new ??

The 1911SC/PDs are nice guns but anything in scandium is going to
have more recoil. If you are going to carry a lot the light weight
is definitely worth it, though.

-Mike

Skip the scandium unless you are getting it for carry. For a range gun, more weight means less recoil. The scandium frame is lighter and more costly.

+1.

And although you can get any 1911 compared to us poor fools in MA. I'd still be inclined to suggest S&W. If you had a bigger budger then that would be a different story...

Look at the DK1911... nice standard options if you are intersted in them like Adj sights, extended mag well, etc.

Back
Top Bottom