• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to bring my AR-15 on vacation to NY

I'm sure some of you are familiar with this kind of scenario. The NY forum doesn't look very active any more, so I'm posting here.
I tried searching past posts but I'm not very good I guess. Also tried researching NY law, but it's all open for interpretation non-sense, at least to me.

Here's the run-down.

Resident of, and valid LTC-A holder in, MA.
Going on vacation to my uncles "ranch" in rural NY.
I know I need to leave my pistols at home, but I want to bring my AR-15, SKS, and Rem 870. I'm concerned about the legality of bringing the evil black rifle across the border.

The AR-15 is, and was bought new as, "Mass compliant" meaning fixed stock, no bayo lug, "compliant welded muzzle brake". It does obviously have a pistol grip and a detachable magazine. I'm eaving the pre-ban mags at home, just going to bring 10 rounders. All firearms will be transported trigger locked and in locked cases, and all ammo will be carried in locked boxes.

Do you see any problems? I'm a straight shooter, and I'd just as soon leave the AR at home and just go with the SKS and the shotgun.

Thanks for your time,
Lobstah

Last edited:
Easy solution, don't do it.

Real solution, gun laws are arbitrary, do whatever your heart desires.

What a convoluted mess.....Best guess= your ten round mags are legal, but only if loaded with seven rounds
Safe certainty= leave the AR home in Mass

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to leave the AR behind. I don't want to risk it. At least that will save me from having to spend a ton on ammo to feed her, but looks like I'll be bringing extra 7.62!

Last edited:
Sorry to be an *******, but maybe your uncle can sell that place and buy one in Vermont?

Wouldn't that be nice. But he's getting on in years, I think his roots are well sunk. Anyways, he grew up in Boston, it's a miracle he even made it out to the woods!

If you dont have a firearms license from NY, I was under the impression we cannot even possess a firearm in NY......let alone an AR-15.

for example, driving through NY en route to OH, I am in violation of NY law if i bring any firearm, which is why the only protection is through the FOPA provision for travel.

perhaps i am wrong but thats what I have believed for some time.

If you dont have a firearms license from NY, I was under the impression we cannot even possess a firearm in NY......let alone an AR-15.

for example, driving through NY en route to OH, I am in violation of NY law if i bring any firearm, which is why the only protection is through the FOPA provision for travel.

perhaps i am wrong but thats what I have believed for some time.

From the further research I have done, non-resident possession of long guns (except scary guns) is completely legal, so long as the gun is transported unloaded and not readily accessible, (Locked in trunk, locked case & trigger lock) and ammunition is kept seperate.

Not gonna lie though, the whole thing is making me nervous to the point where I don't even want to go on the trip anymore.

Quick explanation is that you'd need to reconfigure the AR to have no pistol grip, no muzzle device, and no threads, and you'd have to take 10rd magazines. (Check on the mags...IIRC, the 7rd limit was shot down in court and 10rd mags are still legal, but don't bet your freedom on my recollection.)

The SKS with a fixed mag would be a good choice if it's got no muzzle device or threads. If it does, don't bring it.

Back
Top Bottom