Looking in NH for A place to Retire Need feedback on some locations

SgtHal75

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, but bugs and heat and humidity and snakes and hurricanes and a high crime rate.
Let’s see:
Bugs - get bug spray
Heat and humidity - better than snow any day of the week
Snakes - they are more afraid of you
Hurricanes - sit in the tub and pray..or is that tornados??
High crime rate - this is a gun forum you know what to do

I’ll take SC for 180k, lol!!!!

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
You folks have been really awesome and have given me a lot to digest. Hospitals are important as my youngest has type 1 diabetes and from time to time we need to see the doctor to update his condition at least for the next 12 years or so ( he was a surprise late in life ). Some of the locations listed have no available real estate on the market which I am hoping will change as we get into the winter months. I am heading up tomorrow for a long day of viewings so Ill let you know how it goes. Really thanks. You can always rely on the NES family.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You folks have been really awesome and have given me a lot to digest. Hospitals are important as my youngest has type 1 diabetes and from time to time we need to see the doctor to update his condition at least for the next 12 years or so ( he was a surprise late in life ). Some of the locations listed have no available real estate on the market which I am hoping will change as we get into the winter months. I am heading up tomorrow for a long day of viewings so Ill let you know how it goes. Really thanks. You can always rely on the NES family.
You're going when its probably going to be peak leaf peeping season, so enjoy the trip! If you can, divide up the different towns into groups and go up three or four times. Makes it easier to digest one particular area.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my dumb question about the end of your post what do you mean by putting 10 acres in current use?
You've already gotten some answers, but I'll expound a bit.

Land "in current use" for recreation or agriculture gets a tax break. The minimum size lot that can be in current use is 10 acres, and if there is a residence there, the residence and curtilage are assumed to be 1 acre minimum; so, you must have at least 11 total acres to have 10 acres designated as in current use.

Current use approval varies by town. Some will rubber-stamp anything; others are more strict. It's always optional for the town to approve a current use application. Some towns won't approve anything except agricultural land (which includes timberland). Others will approve any land that isn't posted against hunting or fishing (recreational use).

Oh... and just because the current owner has current use status, doesn't mean the buyer will. If the buyer changes anything at all, especially if it adds value to the land, the select board might just perk up and decide to tax it all.

Current use is one of those cases where it really pays to get to know the town before you buy.

Speaking of getting to know the town, others mentioned trails. Whatever you do, do not be that guy who moves in, posts all the land, shuts down the trails, and petitions a warrant article to stop OHRV use on public ways. If you do, you will not enjoy your time here.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I would greatly prefer the 16 side of NH compared to the 93. i93 is basically the road for people from MA to go up to ski. And the surrounding towns are built up to support that. 16, especially Conway and north from there is older, was not made as results of ski boom towns and has a little more life to it. North Conway has a hospital, so being old and being near one of those is nice.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You like'ah de snow, eh???

I was gonna say Brookline. My brother lives there. Close enough to shopping and services but still fairly "New Hampshire'y." Not as bitter cold in the winter as up-state places. I have no idea the property taxes or the political climate in the town. But I like the location - if I wanted to go north.

The more I think about it, the more I'd probably go to Pittsburg if I needed to bug out of MA. Lots of culture and things to do. Decent fishing and such. Not a lot of people. Think about 80% of the culture of Boston with 10% of the people. And about 10" less of snow than I get now per year. A strange choice for sure. But I don't want too far south and then deal with brutal Summers.

But I'm not going anywhere. My family and business are here and I love it. I really enjoy where I am right now, short of the stupid politicians.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would greatly prefer the 16 side of NH compared to the 93. i93 is basically the road for people from MA to go up to ski. And the surrounding towns are built up to support that. 16, especially Conway and north from there is older, was not made as results of ski boom towns and has a little more life to it. North Conway has a hospital, so being old and being near one of those is nice.
93 above the notch/Cannon is very quiet. Can't say the same for 16 thru North Conway.

Littleton has a hospital as well. (Then again, so does Berlin: one I've been the guest of, in fact.) Anything super serious probably means a ride to Hanover. (I believe Dartmouth-Hitchcock read my head and neck scans during my stay at Androscoggin Valley.)

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
93 above the notch/Cannon is very quiet. Can't say the same for 16 thru North Conway.

Littleton has a hospital as well. (Then again, so does Berlin: one I've been the guest of, in fact.) Anything super serious probably means a ride to Hanover. (I believe Dartmouth-Hitchcock read my head and neck scans during my stay at Androscoggin Valley.)
I like North Conway a lot because it provides just enough civilization and easy access to normal amounts of shit that allows for an easy balance between wilderness and civilization. Hell, go to East Conway and the night sky is pitch dark and it's pretty secluded and it's more or less just on another side of a huge hill from North Conway. I'm not really a huge fan of Bartlett and Jackson due to them both being basically ski towns.

I've always liked Berlin but that's probably because it's the NH version of Detroit. I think it's sorta cool and a little interesting. Plus you can buy a house for the price of a VCR, which is nice. I have a suspicion that by the time I'm dead Berlin will be a vacation destination due to it's very isolated location in NH surrounded by the forest and awesome terrain. Eventually it will grow out of the paper mill apocalypse.

I've only been to Littleton once, and it was when I was staying in Whitefield. It's not bad but again, it's not bringing the quasi city comforts that North Conway brings.

The more I think about it, the more I'd probably go to Pittsburg if I needed to bug out of MA. Lots of culture and things to do. Decent fishing and such. Not a lot of people. Think about 80% of the culture of Boston with 10% of the people. And about 10" less of snow than I get now per year. A strange choice for sure. But I don't want too far south and then deal with brutal Summers.
Pittsburg NH? like the tip of NH? has boston culture?

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lancaster has a hospital also.

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My 2c. Our place in Groton/Dorchester, NH is on a quiet road, and it's away from traffic...but it's 15 minutes from a Walmart/Tractor Supply/Lumber Yard, and 20 minutes from a Hannaford, McD's, BK and Dunks. Plymouth has Speare Hospital, but through the grace of G-d have had no experiences there, despite very regular firearms, power equipment, ATV, chainsaw and tractor use on steep, muddy land, uphill in both directions. Taxes are relatively low (for NH). YMMV.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c. Our place in Groton/Dorchester, NH is on a quiet road, and it's away from traffic...but it's 15 minutes from a Walmart/Tractor Supply/Lumber Yard, and 20 minutes from a Hannaford, McD's, BK and Dunks.
Likewise our place in Lisbon. The Meadow in Littleton (Shaw's, Walmart, TS, HD, liquor store, ...) is under 20 minutes away, or for something quick, roll down the hill to Mac's in Franconia. The gym (Evergreen) is also on 302 and even closer than shopping at the Meadow. Hospital is in Littleton. Yet 117 gets (MUCH) less traffic than the side road we're on here in Connecticut. And I'm close enough to the recreational stuff (FNSP, WMNF, PrkrMtn) where it's essentially backyard, but secluded enough I need not be tripping over tourists. The million dollar view is just down the road (someone else can pay the view tax), but we do have our own that's pretty good.
20190923_131055-PANO.jpg

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I like North Conway a lot because it provides just enough civilization and easy access to normal amounts of shit that allows for an easy balance between wilderness and civilization. Hell, go to East Conway and the night sky is pitch dark and it's pretty secluded and it's more or less just on another side of a huge hill from North Conway. I'm not really a huge fan of Bartlett and Jackson due to them both being basically ski towns.

I've always liked Berlin but that's probably because it's the NH version of Detroit. I think it's sorta cool and a little interesting. Plus you can buy a house for the price of a VCR, which is nice. I have a suspicion that by the time I'm dead Berlin will be a vacation destination due to it's very isolated location in NH surrounded by the forest and awesome terrain. Eventually it will grow out of the paper mill apocalypse.

I've only been to Littleton once, and it was when I was staying in Whitefield. It's not bad but again, it's not bringing the quasi city comforts that North Conway brings.

Pittsburg NH? like the tip of NH? has boston culture?
Pittsburg, PA. I forgot Pittsburg NH. LOL

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
I think the hardest part of decision making is assuming (hopefully) this is the last house we will own is the fact this will be the last place we will own. It's 50% knowing is this the perfect home/land and 50% I can look at pretty much anything and go "I can do something really awesome with it without assistance". I have taken apart every house I have ever owned (even the perfectly livable ones) and I have to get past that hurdle also. I once contemplated buying an enclosed A frame with 60's garage blowers for heat and thick (wet) powder blue pile shag carpeting attached to a 600sf 1880's house with no heating insulation or electricity. My wife and I went we can totally do this. Our offer was rejected luckily.

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
Likewise our place in Lisbon. The Meadow in Littleton (Shaw's, Walmart, TS, HD, liquor store, ...) is under 20 minutes away, or for something quick, roll down the hill to Mac's in Franconia. The gym (Evergreen) is also on 302 and even closer than shopping at the Meadow. Hospital is in Littleton. Yet 117 gets (MUCH) less traffic than the side road we're on here in Connecticut. And I'm close enough to the recreational stuff (FNSP, WMNF, PrkrMtn) where it's essentially backyard, but secluded enough I need not be tripping over tourists. The million dollar view is just down the road (someone else can pay the view tax), but we do have our own that's pretty good.
View attachment 307173
My kids are all enthralled with your progress from the little ones to the bigs. The anticipation is really exciting to watch as they envision their own project. Thanks for sharing.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I think the hardest part of decision making is assuming (hopefully) this is the last house we will own is the fact this will be the last place we will own. It's 50% knowing is this the perfect home/land and 50% I can look at pretty much anything and go "I can do something really awesome with it without assistance". I have taken apart every house I have ever owned (even the perfectly livable ones) and I have to get past that hurdle also. I once contemplated buying an enclosed A frame with 60's garage blowers for heat and thick (wet) powder blue pile shag carpeting attached to a 600sf 1880's house with no heating insulation or electricity. My wife and I went we can totally do this. Our offer was rejected luckily.
My goal is to get ~2+ acres with the ultimate ideal situation being not being able to see a neighbors house from mine. That would be amazing. As far as self sustaining goes, yeah thats a huge one. Making a semi isolated home and preventing it from turning into a nightmare can be tricky.

From the limited research I've been doing on buying lots in NH (and I know you guys know infinitely more than I do about this) it's not as easy as just buying land and throwing a house on it. Everything from the driveway permit, which i didnt even know was a thing until recently, to septic if thats a thing, to well if thats a thing, to limitations on land (marsh, swamp, local law, etc). The list goes on. I know I could "manage" it, and by that I mean find people to pay who know how to navigate it. It looks like a nightmare thats worth it for a lack of better term.

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0
You've already gotten some answers, but I'll expound a bit.

Land "in current use" for recreation or agriculture gets a tax break. The minimum size lot that can be in current use is 10 acres, and if there is a residence there, the residence and curtilage are assumed to be 1 acre minimum; so, you must have at least 11 total acres to have 10 acres designated as in current use.

Current use approval varies by town. Some will rubber-stamp anything; others are more strict. It's always optional for the town to approve a current use application. Some towns won't approve anything except agricultural land (which includes timberland). Others will approve any land that isn't posted against hunting or fishing (recreational use).

Oh... and just because the current owner has current use status, doesn't mean the buyer will. If the buyer changes anything at all, especially if it adds value to the land, the select board might just perk up and decide to tax it all.

Current use is one of those cases where it really pays to get to know the town before you buy.

Speaking of getting to know the town, others mentioned trails. Whatever you do, do not be that guy who moves in, posts all the land, shuts down the trails, and petitions a warrant article to stop OHRV use on public ways. If you do, you will not enjoy your time here.
I've been an outdoorsman my whole life and good steward of the land. I know lots of people move places and retire or move and try to bring their baggage with them or move next door to a horse farm/gun range/ etc and complain, that is just foolish. I am a military person and have lived all over. I am not " That Guy" no relation (or offense) to That Guy from NES. I appreciate the advice though.

UNSUB

NES Member
Rating - 94.1%
16   1   0

"It's the NH version of Detroit" Words cannot describe how much this made me laugh, (not because of your opinion) it was just an unexpected description to yell out loud down the hall to my family.

I spoke to another member about a specific town and he asked if I was related to the other 300 people in that town. I said no, he said "exactly".
Oh my people you are really funny very often.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It's the NH version of Detroit" Words cannot describe how much this made me laugh, (not because of your opinion) it was just an unexpected description to yell out loud down the hall to my family.
I remember nothing of the crash or the ambulance ride, except one thing: asking them where they were taking me. "Berlin." My last little bit of consciousness was spent thinking, "Berlin? BERLIN??!?" (Fortunately Androscoggin Valley is a pretty good facility. And I got to be the "variety" for the day for the ER staff: crashed mountain biker vs the parade of ODs.)

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
National chain store outlet malls and 5mph traffic jams? That's not really comforting to me, but it does describe describe North Conway pretty well.

Littleton also has a 5mph problem, but it's only about 1 mile, not 5+ miles. They also have local manufacturing, and aren't 100% dependent on tourists, like Conway is.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Littleton also has a 5mph problem, but it's only about 1 mile, not 5+ miles.
Well, it's usually only Main Street between Cottage and the W. Main/Meadow fork, so I don't even know that's a full mile. The Meadow is usually fine, though the lights at Shaw's/Walmart and the 93 interchange can get timed such that making a left turn out of the plaza where the liquor store is can be a bear. [wink]

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's usually only Main Street between Cottage and the W. Main/Meadow fork, so I don't even know that's a full mile. The Meadow is usually fine, though the lights at Shaw's/Walmart and the 93 interchange can get timed such that making a left turn out of the plaza where the liquor store is can be a bear. [wink]
It's always been a bear at that location, but it is even worse now with McDonald's there.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always been a bear at that location, but it is even worse now with McDonald's there.
The trick is to schedule the packy run such that it only requires a right turn out of the lot. I'd say post-Evergreen, but they'd probably not appreciate me showing up smelling like
Gymrat.png
[laugh]

That said, I HAVE done post-Evergreen runs to Shaw's.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to schedule the packy run such that it only requires a right turn out of the lot. I'd say post-Evergreen, but they'd probably not appreciate me showing up smelling like
View attachment 307322
[laugh]

That said, I HAVE done post-Evergreen runs to Shaw's.
I'm sure not one single person would notice. Just another day in these parts. [laugh]

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
National chain store outlet malls and 5mph traffic jams? That's not really comforting to me, but it does describe describe North Conway pretty well.

Littleton also has a 5mph problem, but it's only about 1 mile, not 5+ miles. They also have local manufacturing, and aren't 100% dependent on tourists, like Conway is.
Eh, it's not hard to avoid RT16. West Side Road or North South. I don't frequent the outlets but I do know they are there.

I definitely don't have a problem with Littleton although I have no idea what the hell I'd do for work in that area.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Eh, it's not hard to avoid RT16. West Side Road or North South. I don't frequent the outlets but I do know they are there.

I definitely don't have a problem with Littleton although I have no idea what the hell I'd do for work in that area.
Our house is off Westside Rd. As long as you know the area, you can avoid the traffic. You sometimes have to drive a circular route to avoid gridlock.

Top Bottom