• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking forward to Blue Hills deer hunt?

I'm interested in hearing about your thoughts about the opening up of an area of the Blue Hills reservation to a deer hunt for the first time in 100 years? Also have you seen the turkey buzzards there? Years ago I was working near the BH res. In Braintree and every day they came out of the hills like a swarn..... are they hunted in ma.? This Blue Hills hunt could be an interesting story [rolleyes]

I put in an app for entry into the lotto. Will see what happens. Don't know if I'll have a chance to scout or not if I get a draw. But after Boxer's intel I sure will try to. I'm all set with harvesting unhealthy deer. They may need hunters to help out but I don't want to put that on my table.

I put in an app for entry into the lotto. Will see what happens. Don't know if I'll have a chance to scout or not if I get a draw. But after Boxer's intel I sure will try to. I'm all set with harvesting unhealthy deer. They may need hunters to help out but I don't want to put that on my table.
I think its doe only, and you only get a few days to scout and set up before it starts.
this is what im being told so take it for what its worth, good luck and be safe.

As I understand it, the stated 85 deer per square mile density was true a couple of years ago but there was a major winter kill last year. I applied but I suspect this one to be a shit show. We'll see. If I get drawn, that plate carrier I have been thinking about might be on my short list!

My thoughts are that at least half the permits will be given to people who know someone. Also I couldn't give two shits about helping that area of the state with a deer problem. They hate Guns and hunters out that way, they can keep their deer. I don't get involved in hunts with the odds of having a lot of state chosen nitwits around. If they were smart they would have opened this up for Bowhunting 10 years ago and not had to have a lot of fanfare and bs. CT does this with their problem state parks and its successful without having to have the state oversee hunts. Allow crossbows and it would open it up to those who aren't as proficient or cannot use a compound or trad bow.

Odds are this hunt will be very heavily protested by wackos, at least the first year.

If anyrhing I'd love to see a youth hunt with a mentor, that would at least make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
I think its doe only, and you only get a few days to scout and set up before it starts.
this is what im being told so take it for what its worth, good luck and be safe.

If it's like Quabbin was they will Flag off sections and give you one and tell you not to move. This is what friends that did the first Quabbin hunt told me they did.

I'm on the fence about this one. Almost wish nobody applied and you would get the sense that sportsman are giving the state the giant middle finger. however, the state would twist it and say that there is no interest in hunting in this state anymore. So we lose either way. So they keep the area closed for decades and now over-populated they allow hunters to come in and kill mangy and sick animals...thank you state...

I'm on the fence about this one. Almost wish nobody applied and you would get the sense that sportsman are giving the state the giant middle finger. however, the state would twist it and say that there is no interest in hunting in this state anymore.

Other state agencies have imposed fees, with the purported reasoning being that it would provide usage info. So yeah, I think you're right on about that.

If it's like Quabbin was they will Flag off sections and give you one and tell you not to move. This is what friends that did the first Quabbin hunt told me they did.

I was there the first year the Quabbin was opened to hunting and they didn't do that. The actual hunt hasn't really changed much over the years. The doe permits have been reduced and they have included ML's. Everything else is still the same. Hunters apply for sections and the number of hunters is determined but how many acres are in that area. For Quabbin it is calculated as 1 hunter per 100 acres IIRC.

After reading the Blue Hills management plan it is structured the same way but 1 hunter for 30 acres. As I understand it you are not restricted to a specific 30 acres but you are restricted to the parcel you "won" in the lottery.

I am sure that there will be favoritism in the selection process. Quabbin used to be used as a hunting preserve for our government officials and their guests.

Bob

I applied. If you get picked you are encouraged to shoot does, but it isn't does only. I read most of the pages that are posted on it and it looks like there was a shit-ton of research done on how best to pull this off. There are 5 areas to hunt, and some roads will be closed to the public during the day, and hunters will be allowed access to these roads and can park on the side of the road and walk into the woods. 196 permits will be issued in total. If chosen, you will be assigned to one of the 5 areas. With the size of the areas being opened up, if everyone was evenly dispersed, (which won't happen) it is estimated that each permit holder would have 30 acres to himself. It is pretty interesting reading.
If I were to get chosen, I would go to whichever of the 5 areas I was assigned to, and sit on my ass and not move. If there is anywhere near 85 deer per acre, odds are you will be trampled by stampeding deer rather than shot by some newbie. IMHO.
You can also put up tree stands (that don't damage the tree), like a ladder stand.

I was talking to my brother the other day he works for DEP and he said that the deer numbers in Blue Hills is twice what was in the a Quabbin Reservoir when that opened. I hunted Quabbin the first year and I can't comprehend how it could be twice what I saw at Quabbin.[party]

Bob

Boycott. Seriously.

I remember years ago people with signs standing on 1A & Argilla Road in Ipswich that said " Save Our Friends " with deer pictures. They didn't want the scarecrows thinned out. I believe they do it every year now without too much commotion. I know Lyme Disease is less prevalent than it was in the Cape Ann area.

Hey if anyone gets picked for the Canton areas, let me know, Im gonna be stuck down there for the 4 days this goes on.

I didnt apply but would stick it to the protesters and not hunt - let them have their lyme and car accidents. But then innocent people or kids get hurt, and herds like that just lead to things like CWD etc.

Back
Top Bottom