looking forward to Blue Hills deer hunt?

Did they say how many hunters went in this morning?

ETA
Nevermind:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...reservation/NptCXdBq4p55X1ZoUKn3nK/story.html

We'll I guess Aaron Hurst from Vermont just proved that you don't need to spend money on scent blocking clothing. I've had some of my best luck going last min wearing jeans and sneakers. Unless of course he changed first?

Boghosian_30hunt16_MET.jpg

Snake oil is all it is. Never bought into the science or idea of scent blocking clothing.

The research on deer vision seems pretty good though - which says that deer can pick up on blue better than red/orange/green. So blue jeans are not supposed to be the best choice if you have other options available.

What was the final number of deer killed in the four-day Blue Hills controlled hunt?

I am so glad that I didn't get selected.

BOSTON – A total of 64 deer were killed during a four-day hunt in the Blue Hill State Reservation, according to the Department of Conservation and Recreation.

On Tuesday, the fourth and final day, 57 hunters participated and killed 11 deer.

On Monday, Dec. 7, 70 hunters were let onto the reservation. They killed 12 deer.

The Blue Hills includes parts of several south of Boston communities like Quincy, Canton, Milton, Dedham and Braintree.

Most of the deer killed during the hunt were taken over the course of the first two days last week, leading to a total of 41 at the time.
Read more:
http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/index.ssf/2015/12/what_was_the_final_number_of_d.html

Snake oil is all it is. Never bought into the science or idea of scent blocking clothing.
I have had on two seperate occasions does walk within 5 feet of me. I was in my orange vest and hat wearing a green double thick work sweatshirt and tan caarhart pants. No scent blocking at all. Sitting still is the key.

That's how folks up north all hunt, jeans and a flannel shirt. They are usually gun hunting and if the deer is close enough to smell them, the deer is already shot or has got a pass by the hunter.

If you're up in a tree with a bow, I still wouldn't worry about all the scent free cloths, but I'd suggest clean scent-free dark clothes so the deer will come in as close as possible for a good shot.

I believe it's all about the wind. I notice with my dog; many time he can smell another dog from at least 100 yards away. Wind or no wind, while surrounded by a 6 foot tall vinyl fence. I believe a deer's sense of smell is even better. Your never going to defeat a deer's nose. Maybe scent free cloths can reduce your scent. How many washes does it's scent killing ability last for? After how many washes does is it's scent reducing properties become comparable with just spraying scent killer spray on your cloths?

Blue Hills deer hunt was safe and effective, officials say

WESTBOROUGH — State wildlife officials on Tuesday praised the four-day deer hunt in the Blue Hills Reservation as a success, saying the effort will thin the growing population by at least 120 deer and serve as a model for future hunts in overrun forests.

In the first deer hunt in the park’s 122-year history, hunters over four days killed 64 deer, 47 of them female. While that represented a small percentage of a deer population that is estimated to be at least six times healthy levels, officials said the hunt was a good start toward reducing the herd.

“I think this is a great first step,” said Michael Roche, a member of the state’s Fisheries and Wildlife Board. “It’s a no-cost management tool.”

Animal rights activists tried to get the state to cancel the hunt, then held a candlelight vigil to protest it as needless slaughter of innocent creatures.

Protesters had questioned the accuracy of the state's population estimates, which are based on a 2013 survey, and some said last winter's harshness could have naturally reduced the deer population, rendering the hunt unnecessary.

“They have no way of knowing what the effect has been,” said Steve Rayshick, a member of the Friends of the Blue Hills Deer group, which opposed the hunt.

In a presentation to the board Tuesday, David Stainbrook, a deer biologist for the state’s Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, said the forest was extremely overpopulated, with an estimated concentration of 85 deer per square mile. The state recommends that density not exceed 18 deer per square mile.

In the first two-day session, which began Nov. 30, 85 hunters killed 41 deer. In the second, held a week later, 70 hunters killed 23.

Less than half of the 10-square-mile forest was open to hunters, Stainbrook said. There were no injuries or safety issues.

“It was safely conducted in an urban area,” he said.
The Department of Conservation and Recreation, which manages Blue Hills, termed the hunt “a good beginning” toward addressing overpopulation. A spokesman said officials are evaluating the results before deciding whether to organize hunts in the future.

The board did not discuss whether future hunts should be held. But the state’s deer management plan for the Blue Hills, released in October, proposes four days of hunting next year, followed by six days each year from 2017 to 2023.

With fewer than five days of hunting, the population densities could be reduced below 50 deer per square mile of forest within five years, the plan estimates. Bringing that below 20 deer per square mile would require at least eight days of hunting a year.

The plan seeks to “bring deer densities to a level more aligned with what the forest can sustain.”

Read more:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/12/15/state-wildlife-officials-praise-blue-hills-deer-hunt/i6UkvJLkD55U6xj3JJLalL/story.html

Great idea for the youth hunt as well as opening it for doe. Another thought would be to have a wounded warrior hunt. There are lots of dirt roads that would allow both vehicle and wheelchair access.

wouldn't that fuel the idea that the area is over populated? The fact that they are unhealthy and don't have enough food source?

Back
Top Bottom