looking for suggestions

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Im an AK guy and have both 7.62 and 5.45 platforms, that being said I have an offer on the table Im thinking about doing. Long story short I have a buddy who is looking to get rid of his Mini 14 and wants a shotgun, I never use my shotty and honestly I dont even enjoy shooting it and its collecting dust in my safe, I have been for awhile contemplating getting an AR but this offer fell on my lap, the offer I have on the table is $450 + my Mossberg 500 for his Mini 14. The gun has about 200 rounds through it and will come with an array of about 5 mags, 1 30 rounder, 2 20 rounders and 2 10 rounders. Its has a black polymer stock on it and he has a wooden stock as well if I decided to go with the wood look. My question is as I have never shot one before, is the Mini accurate at long range, easy to strip and clean and reliable? He has never had a hiccup in the 200+ rounds fired so Im assuming the gun runs just fine.

I would put a scope on this as I would an AR if I went that route instead, Money isnt an issue but would the Mini 14 be a good compromise instead of an AR? I belive the Mini 14 runs strictly .223?

If accuracy is your concern the Mini's not the rifle for you. You'll never get great results if you compare it to an AR especially once the Mini's barrel gets hot.

Love the typical AR comments, because thats exactly what he asked for. Some of us just like AKs and those calibers, cause theyre better than ARs.

Love the typical AR comments, because thats exactly what he asked for. Some of us just like AKs and those calibers, cause theyre better than ARs.

SVWDZ3h.gif

He said:

I have been for awhile contemplating getting an AR but this offer fell on my lap

So he is considering an AR instead of this.

I have yet to see a "accurate" mini 14. My dad spent more time on mine trying to get it shooting ok.
Mine never did better than 4MOA. Scoped was worse. My dad nicked named my mini 14 " the inside of the barn gun". Imho even the lower level ARs like the sport will out shoot a mini 14.

We did how ever have a lot of fun turning tree stumps into tooth pics and blasting old washing machines and such

The other issue is Ruger's error in not using M16 mags in the Mini-14, and going with a proprietary one. Magazines will be more expensive, and a bit more difficult to find.

Mini 14 are safe to shoot 5.56 kinda cool cause of the action . But the groups suck lol . Personally I'd trade the moss straight up for a mini14.

Or for a little more then the 450$ you can get a 5.56 ak made.
72697b711c6168783b035a45f6b4f89e.jpg

b5f177baeee09f1c3a61c82b53d8978f.jpg

Just need a 74 kit.
Akbuilder 556 barrel.
Bulgarian Russian or polish mags 556 mags
74 receiver.

Thanks for the responses guys, I would want a long range scoped tack driver so I think I will stand pat and not do this trade. Ben that AK looks Bad ass, very nice job there bud.

Mini-14 is probably more accurate than your AK platforms, so I guess technically it would be a step up.

I'd sell the shotgun if you never use it and get an AR.

... I would want a long range scoped tack driver...

While the mini-14 will not fit that bill, it is a crapload of fun to shoot.
I have lots to choose from when I make a trip to the range ARs, AKs FALs, et al, But the mini seems to make more trips than any other single rifle.

They can achieve decent accuracy with a couple of mods.

DSCF00402_zpskimobtbx.jpg

DSCF00381_zpskvh9knu2.jpg

There is a .223/5.56 AK over at Patriot in Ipswich right now.
What others have said about the mini 14, thumbs down unless you want it for a short range house gun.
From what I have read , it's lack of accuracy has something to do with barrel harmonics.

my mini 14 was a nice rifle. it's basically an M1 or garand style of action. kinda cool to me. i ended up selling mine because i wasn't shooting it but it was a fine rifle.

my only suggestions on the mini 14 are the following:
1. make sure you get scope rings w it, or if you intend to run a RDS then consider the GG&G optic mount to fit the dovetails and allow the RDS to sit nice a low.
2. get the 582- series of rifle.....these have thicker barrels that are much more accurate. the old models w thin barrels were accurate for first 10 shots then start stringing like crazy.
3. it is not an AR15....so i don't even bother comparing them. very different. the mini has some advantages but overall the modularity of the AR is unmatched. apples and oranges.

The other issue is Ruger's error in not using M16 mags in the Mini-14, and going with a proprietary one. Magazines will be more expensive, and a bit more difficult to find.

the mini mags do not lock like an AR magazine. they rock in like an AR. i don't think ruger could have designed the mini-14 receiver to accept an AR mag even if they tried.

also the mini 14 is a very old design. i don't think Bill Ruger was considering the abundance of AR mags that would occur 50 years later.

my mini 14 was a nice rifle. it's basically an M1 or garand style of action. kinda cool to me. i ended up selling mine because i wasn't shooting it but it was a fine rifle.

my only suggestions on the mini 14 are the following:
1. make sure you get scope rings w it, or if you intend to run a RDS then consider the GG&G optic mount to fit the dovetails and allow the RDS to sit nice a low.
2. get the 582- series of rifle.....these have thicker barrels that are much more accurate. the old models w thin barrels were accurate for first 10 shots then start stringing like crazy.
3. it is not an AR15....so i don't even bother comparing them. very different. the mini has some advantages but overall the modularity of the AR is unmatched. apples and oranges.

I was going to mention the barrel issues as well but you beat me to it.
Hey if you Mini fans out there insist on improving accuracy it can be done. These guys have more than anything you would ever need and then some.

Accuracy systems-
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

I thought about it for a second or two maybe more, but you'll quickly come to the conclusion it's not worth the $ when you can get an AR or an AK in my case with my Mini 30 which I sold for an AK.
Yes you could say the AK isn't that accurate to begin with but mine was an early one that came from the factory with a .308 barrel witch at some point early on Ruger updated it to .310 or .311 To better accommodate a variety of 7.62X39 ammo.

While the mini-14 will not fit that bill, it is a crapload of fun to shoot.
I have lots to choose from when I make a trip to the range ARs, AKs FALs, et al, But the mini seems to make more trips than any other single rifle.

They can achieve decent accuracy with a couple of mods.

DSCF00402_zpskimobtbx.jpg

DSCF00381_zpskvh9knu2.jpg

If it was THIS Mini 14 Id do it regardless, but its a run of the mill Ruger polymer rifle, that is a gorgeous looking little rifle right here ^^^^^^^^^^^

If it was THIS Mini 14 Id do it regardless, but its a run of the mill Ruger polymer rifle, that is a gorgeous looking little rifle right here ^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe the reason I enjoy this rifle so much is because it's sporting the folding stock, bayo mount and flash hider, the trifecta of evil. All perfectly legal. How do you like them apples Marsha? LOL
Still hard to fathom that if this rifle was mfg two years later than it was, that it would be an instant felony in this retarded state.

I was going to mention the barrel issues as well but you beat me to it.
Hey if you Mini fans out there insist on improving accuracy it can be done. These guys have more than anything you would ever need and then some.

Accuracy systems-
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

I thought about it for a second or two maybe more, but you'll quickly come to the conclusion it's not worth the $ when you can get an AR or an AK in my case with my Mini 30 which I sold for an AK.
Yes you could say the AK isn't that accurate to begin with but mine was an early one that came from the factory with a .308 barrel witch at some point early on Ruger updated it to .310 or .311 To better accommodate a variety of 7.62X39 ammo.

It's not cheap to get accuracy from a ruger. Look carefully to get 1moa from those guys you need to go with the 24" barrel option. Up grade to a Krieger barrel cost another 190$

They offer 1.75 moa for your standard 18" barrel for 700$ on top of the cost for the rifle. 1400$ will buy you a sub moa AR and ammo , sling and other accessories.

It's not cheap to get accuracy from a ruger. Look carefully to get 1moa from those guys you need to go with the 24" barrel option. Up grade to a Krieger barrel cost another 190$

They offer 1.75 moa for your standard 18" barrel for 700$ on top of the cost for the rifle. 1400$ will buy you a sub moa AR and ammo , sling and other accessories.

Indeed that's why I wrote that it only took me a second or two to come to that conclusion.
Hey some people just love them and are determined to make them accurate. There's obviously a market for it or those guys would be out of business by now.

There was a guy who goes by the name of gundoc who ran a place called great west gunsmithing who just retired last month. (Site is still up, but empty http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/) who was a wizard with the mini platform.

He had a couple of videos on his site on improving the accuracy of the mini yourself. He showed some very simple operations that made a huge difference. One was similar to the 25cent trigger job video for Glocks that is out there. It involves some light polishing and clipping a coil off the disconnector spring. Another was on squaring up and re-torquing the gas block and another on reduced size gas bushings.
These modifications plus adding a Mo-rod or accustrut make a world of difference in this platform.

Gundoc says he may come back when he gets caught up, I hope he does. I only wish that I had saved his videos

edit to add. This is a pretty good forum for mini info http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/

Last edited:
Stainless Minis are more accurate than traditional blued models. They're not precision rifles but they're more accurate than people give them credit for. I've got two and have no problem hitting clays at 100 yards with either of them. They weren't designed for target shooting, they were meant for battle.

Some of the older blued versions were known to lack in accuracy and that's where the gun gets the bad reputation from. Over time better steel and better fit made for a better shooting Mini.

Before the Sandy Hook ban scare you could get one for around $450 to $550. Unfortunately they never came back down on price once panic buying started. Now they average around $700.

Pre ban mags can be found for a little more than pre ban AR mags but do often get twice as much. The only models that can be effectively scoped are Ranch series rifles. They have the trademark Ruger crescent notches for Ruger rings but 1 piece bases are out there that allow for just about any scope/dot set up.

What these guns lack in accuracy, they make up for in reliability and ease of take down. I've put over a thousand rounds through the top one on the pic and have never cleaned it. If you like simplicity, reliability, and that vintage M1/M14 style function, you won't regret a Mini 14.

Like I've said dozens of times here... if you can't shoot a Mini effectively, you need to learn how to shoot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438306932420.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438306932420.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 15
What these guns lack in accuracy, they make up for in reliability and ease of take down. I've put over a thousand rounds through the top one on the pic and have never cleaned it. If you like simplicity, reliability, and that vintage M1/M14 style function, you won't regret a Mini 14.

Whoa, that Stainless GB folder has got me pitching a tent.

You own one of each so you know the difference between the two gas blocks. Did you catch my bit of trickery on my A-team wannabe? I'm sure that nobody else did.

IMG_0220_zpsj1clb8ue.jpg

Stainless Minis are more accurate than traditional blued models. They're not precision rifles but they're more accurate than people give them credit for. I've got two and have no problem hitting clays at 100 yards with either of them. They weren't designed for target shooting, they were meant for battle.

Some of the older blued versions were known to lack in accuracy and that's where the gun gets the bad reputation from. Over time better steel and better fit made for a better shooting Mini.

Before the Sandy Hook ban scare you could get one for around $450 to $550. Unfortunately they never came back down on price once panic buying started. Now they average around $700.

Pre ban mags can be found for a little more than pre ban AR mags but do often get twice as much. The only models that can be effectively scoped are Ranch series rifles. They have the trademark Ruger crescent notches for Ruger rings but 1 piece bases are out there that allow for just about any scope/dot set up.

Like I've said dozens of times here... if you can't shoot a Mini effectively, you need to learn how to shoot.

Just for a reference what would effectively be? I'm not going to say I'm a "fan" I did enjoy shooting my late 80s production mini 14 I only sold it and 90% of my guns to aid in buying my house. If they where cheaper I may have replaced it with another by now.
It is a decent design ( garand in concept)and does function very well also looks cool. I mean really who didn't want a ruger mini 14 growing up watching the A team.
I always wanted to pop out of a casket and blast some bad guys Murdock style. @ :55 seconds

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfuaUTH9Y4[/video]

I'm also curious if anyone knows if a mini 14 has ever been used at the nationals and scored well. Say 450 or better ?

I love the stock on this one

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1JGSGydmIs[/video]

Once again I can't seem to get video to insert?

Last edited:
Whoa, that Stainless GB folder has got me pitching a tent.

You own one of each so you know the difference between the two gas blocks. Did you catch my bit of trickery on my A-team wannabe? I'm sure that nobody else did.

IMG_0220_zpsj1clb8ue.jpg

I had to zoom in. Tough to see on a phone. You can always go for broke and mill off the rest. ;)

Back when the Mini-14s were first released I was interested. Then I did some reading about the lack of accuracy, many complaints from all over the place. Even though this was before we had the Internet, Google may well pull up some of those discussions. After that, my interest in the Mini-14 went South.

Your question led me to do a little Googling as well and it appears that Ruger may have changed the design to enhance accuracy in current models.

Check here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360523

and here:
http://how-i-did-it.org/mini-vs-ar/

Back
Top Bottom