Looking for suggestions on AR15's

NES Member
I currently own 5 handguns but not a single riffle. I am thinking about a AR15. I want to get a cheap one for my first. Then down the road when I am more comfortable I would like to build or buy a real nice one. I am not sure when I will get one so I don’t want to post in the classifieds just yet. So once again I ask you, my peers for your input.

What is a good price on a new or used AR15?

What should I look for (problem areas)?

Does anyone have a old one kickin around that they would like to part with possibly?

Stay FAR AWAY from Olympic Arms . . . junk!!!

Expect to pay ~$750-800 for Bushmaster.

I'd look at Rock River Arms, has an excellent reputation for quality, small mfr and good prices.

Colt is very pricey. Bushmaster, Armalite and Rock Rivers are all good choices. No-name brands are hit or miss with poor resale value.

Part with my ARs, NOT on your life! [lol]

I agree with LenS on Bushmasters and Rock River. I have a couple of Bushmasters and they have been trouble free. Rock River has an excellent rep as well. Stay away from the bottom dollar deals, they usually fall into the category of 'if it looks too good to be true....' I learned my lesson quickly and luckily only on some parts and mags.

If the group buy from GMG goes through I should have a DPMS soon as well.

CD

TonyD said:
First of all, decide what you're going to use it for. That will help in the selection.

Well just for target right now. I have never hunted except for fishing. I am 25 years old and kind of the outcast in my family in some ways. My mother is liberal and my father (divorced) don't like guns a whole lot. So all this is kind of new for me still. But I think I am cathing on fast. (thanks to you people)

Get a Bushmaster A2.......

......just a regular 20 inch barrel service rifle configuration. That's the best way to start.
In time you might want a DCM model with a few modifications. You can do little upgrades on your own with the A2 if you care to also.
I'm in the process of aquiring a match upper for my rifle (A3, 26 inch krieger stainless barrel)
CJC

Right now I've used both collapsible and fixed stocks on AR-15s. It's a matter of you picking which you're comfortable with. After you pick which one you want you're going to be better off for it.

I am very very happy with my Rock River. I too have been experimenting with mine on the cleaning, just wondering when it will gum up so bad it won't work, and have put 1500 or so rounds through it. So far the barrel is in great shape fouling wise but the receiver is nasty. My.02, good luck.

If you can wait until the group get together, you'll surely be able to try a few different variations there. I'm very partial to the 20" A2 style service model, and that's what I have (though with the heavy barrel).

Pay close attention to the brands mentioned, and you shouldn't go wrong.

Speaking of AR's I have been in the search of a good scope.
I dont have alot of $$ to spend on it... I figure $80-$180 range...any recommendations there?

Get a mount and rings from TAPCO (www.tapco.com). Don't buy a scope from them. Their scopes are cheap and junky.

Look on eBay for an older steel tubed Weaver scope. Make sure you get one with 1" rings. You should be able to keep the total under $100, and have a good scope that'll last. The only down side to the Weaver's is they're heavy, due to the steel tube. And I'd suggest a 2x7 power.

TonyD said:
Just my opinion...

1) No good scopes <$180

2) Scopes and AR's don't mix

The only good scopes I've seen under $180 are usually used, hence my recommendation on the Weaver. I've seen low end Bushnell's that weren't bad.

Tony, I'd usually agree with the remark on scoping an AR, until last year, when some of the guys in Iraq started asking for scopes, even the ones that prefer open sights. I guess there may be an appropriate time for one.

DirtyPacMan, if you think using a scope will improve your shooting ability, I will recommend more practice over scoping the gun.

Some folks are plain shocked when someone who generally uses a scoped deer gun gets bested by an unscoped M1 or M14.

Im the type of guy that just wants to have it for the fact of having it... that is why i am not going high end because im pretty sure it will get very little use.

I certainly need to get to the range more to improve.

The two best reasons for getting a (particular) gun:

(1) Because you can
(2) Because somebody says you can't

What more do you need?

Ken

KMaurer said:
(2) Because somebody says you can't

Bill Klinton's 94 AWB is the reason I've got my military semi-auto's. I didn't own any before then. I figured I'd better quit stalling, before I won't be able to buy one.

That in fact, is one of the GOOD things Slick Willie did, though it wasn't his intent.

I wanted to thank everybody for they’re input on the AR15. I bought my very first rifle today. I got the Bushmaster M4A2. I had a dinner tonight so I was not able to shoot it yet, but you bet your ass I am hitting the range tomorrow.

Last edited:
Moderator said:
I wanted to thank everybody for they’re input on the AR15. I bought my very first rifle today. I got the Bushmaster XM15 E2S. I had a dinner tonight so I was not able to shoot it yet, but you bet your ass I am hitting the range tomorrow.

Congrats on the new baby! Be sure to take a pic and post it. :D

Moderator said:
I wanted to thank everybody for they’re input on the AR15. I bought my very first rifle today. I got the Bushmaster XM15 E2S. I had a dinner tonight so I was not able to shoot it yet, but you bet your ass I am hitting the range tomorrow.

Good choice. 20" barrel, I assume?

Sorry it took so long. Here are both my babies.

tyson_ar15.jpg.w560h373.jpg

Back
Top Bottom