• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for something similiar to XS big dot sights for M&P

I was looking at the XS sights website today and I like the big dot (and standard dot) express night sights they have. The come with a vertical line in the V of the rear sight, and you just "dot the i" as say. My only complaint is that on some of their models (such as the ones for Glock) the front sight and the rear white line are tritium, but the M&P offering is only tritium on the front site. [sad]

I really like the idea of these, it seems like they would let you get a front sight picture very quickly - but in addition let you get the rear where it needs to be (even in the dark if i had a glock [grin]). I was wondering if anyone had experience with these, and if so, what do you think? Additionally, are there any other sights that take this "dot the i" approach, maybe some that have tritium front/back for my gun? The only other that I saw close to this were the "straight eight" sights.

Thanks,
Mike

Get the XS Big Dot and never look back. I did and I couldn't be happier. Besides, if you need to line up your sights perfectly to take a shot in a low-light situation with a pistol you probably shouldn't pull the trigger...

Just beware, the gamers and "tacticool" crowd will gang up on you for liking big dots.

Just going to some forums like m4carbine.net and admitting to actually shooting better with them will get you labeled as a rube, n00b. dumbass, and such.

Mike just curious, how are you using the gun ? The XS is really meant for up close defensive shooting. It may be a challenge if you are using the gun for target shooting etc. If you are looking to get away from a 3 dot config. just black out the rear and put a hi viz of your choice on the front. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Just beware, the gamers and "tacticool" crowd will gang up on you for liking big dots.

When both the gamers and the tactical timmys agree on something, maybe there's something to it. I've only shot with them once, but it made precise shots more difficult for me. I didn't work with them and put it on the timer to see if they were actually faster up close, but a number of highly skilled shooters have and found them wanting.

I won't say someone shouldn't use them if they actually shoot them better, but if they're willing to put in the work to really become a good pistol shooter, they probably won't keep them long term.

Just going to some forums like m4carbine.net and admitting to actually shooting better with them will get you labeled as a rube, n00b. dumbass, and such.

I won't call anyone a "noob" for using them.... IMO it's user preference. One guy I know with vision issues likes his because it's gigantic. That said, I will say that if you go to sell a gun, don't leave those sights on the gun. It's like a lasermax.... most people are going to view that as paying for something they will never use or they're gonna peen out/remove and get rid of. It's viewed as an "albatross device" by most.

I would also strongly suggest anyone who is actually interested in those sights to run a gun that has them already on it before buying. Otherwise it could be an expensive mistake, much like a Seecamp .32, which is another love/hate situation.

There is no middle ground on the Big dots. The user will either love them or they will be itching to get rid of them, or pretend to like them but be in denial about wanting to get rid of them, that's about as close as you can get to a "middle" on this one.

-Mike

Count me in the love them. I have them on both my Glock and M&P and I have no trouble shooting 6" steel plates all day. They are not target sights, so don't bash them for not being something their not. Don't bash me too much Drgrant, I have a Seecamp too (lol).

When both the gamers and the tactical timmys agree on something, maybe there's something to it. I've only shot with them once, but it made precise shots more difficult for me. I didn't work with them and put it on the timer to see if they were actually faster up close, but a number of highly skilled shooters have and found them wanting.

I won't say someone shouldn't use them if they actually shoot them better, but if they're willing to put in the work to really become a good pistol shooter, they probably won't keep them long term.

If I need to make a precise shot at anything longer than typical self defense distances, I'll get a rifle.

Sights are very much a personal taste thing. I don't like the XS big dot. I don't like Novak rear sights either. YMMV.

You don't always get to choose. What if someone attempts to abduct your wife or child out in public?

I knew this was coming......All I gotta say is get real and leave those fantasies to the tactical wannabes and gamers.

The chances of that happening at slim to none. The chances of that happening at a distance that I can't hit someone's nogging with a set of big dots are even smaller.

The point still remains, do you get a worthwhile improvement in speed up close for the tradeoff in distance accuracy? Have you put it on the timer?

The point still remains, do you get a worthwhile improvement in speed up close for the tradeoff in distance accuracy? Have you put it on the timer?

The first point is that the sights are far easier to acquire with my eyes than any other. I don't need a timer to prove that to myself.

The second point is to stop trying to make pistols into rifles.

Different sights work for different people. I'm just getting back into shooting with iron. I prefer a narrow (.09) front sight and a wide back one. I use a target focus, since I can't get my eyes to come back to the front sight fast enough. On fast up close targets, its easy for me to track, but is still narrow enough to make long shots

Try out different sights and see what works best for you

Different sights work for different people. I'm just getting back into shooting with iron. I prefer a narrow (.09) front sight and a wide back one. I use a target focus, since I can't get my eyes to come back to the front sight fast enough. On fast up close targets, its easy for me to track, but is still narrow enough to make long shots

Try out different sights and see what works best for you

Finally an answer grounded in reality.

Back
Top Bottom