• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for some input for an AR build

I noticed that. Seems like more people are leaning toward the 300AAC

Given those two choices, I'd go with the .300. With that said there are probably half a dozen other calibers I'd build first, but that's just me.

I just built an AR for pig and deer hunting in 6.8 SPC.

^ This. If I was building an AR today, it would be chambered in 6.8 SPCII. Everything I've read puts it square in the middle of .223 and .308 (6.8mm = .277). It'd be pretty close to the 7.62x40 in ballistics, with more readily available components, I'd think.

If it's good enough for our military, it'd be good enough for me, and would take most any game in the US smaller than an elk.

Shooting ARs are expensive enough to begin with. If you are really just using it for target shooting and hunting, you might consider hard what you'll be hunting with it before going to something extra expensive, like a 30 cal., be it 300 blk or 7.62 NATO. I know it's not as cool, but 5.56 is really a well-balanced round. Can always grab the 300 blk upper later.

Also, as this thread has already mentioned, without a suppressor, you might not get much value out of the 300blk anyway. With a much-lessened case capacity, it's harder to get some of the higher velocities you might want with a .30. Personally, I'd love a bolt 300blk, but because the subsonic 300blk use such heavy bullets, you need an extremely fast twist to stabilize the bullet, so I feel like I may as well go custom if I do...

^ This. If I was building an AR today, it would be chambered in 6.8 SPCII. Everything I've read puts it square in the middle of .223 and .308 (6.8mm = .277). It'd be pretty close to the 7.62x40 in ballistics, with more readily available components, I'd think.

If it's good enough for our military, it'd be good enough for me, and would take most any game in the US smaller than an elk.

I'm no expert, but mathematically .2655 is in the middle of .223 and .308, no? Also, what is the II on the 6.8 SPCII? Honestly, I think the 6.8 is a good idea, and possibly what the AR wanted to be all along. I think it is too late to second guess everything though.

Shooting ARs are expensive enough to begin with. If you are really just using it for target shooting and hunting, you might consider hard what you'll be hunting with it before going to something extra expensive, like a 30 cal., be it 300 blk or 7.62 NATO. I know it's not as cool, but 5.56 is really a well-balanced round. Can always grab the 300 blk upper later.

Also, as this thread has already mentioned, without a suppressor, you might not get much value out of the 300blk anyway. With a much-lessened case capacity, it's harder to get some of the higher velocities you might want with a .30. Personally, I'd love a bolt 300blk, but because the subsonic 300blk use such heavy bullets, you need an extremely fast twist to stabilize the bullet, so I feel like I may as well go custom if I do...

For just target and hunting, and a 30 caliber, why not just get a 30-06 or 308? The only thing the 300BLK gets you is subsonic if you want or could use that, and the ability to use an AR platform, if you want or could use that. Of course, if you have $ to burn, and want a fun project, no problem there either! :)

I also am looking for some AR build advice. This is my first build and my intent is mainly 100 to 300 yard shooting. I am going with 5.56 but as far as length of barrel and twist ratio, the more I read the worse I get. I would appreciate some views from you experienced AR shooters. I would also like the ability to fire somewhat heavier loads than 55 gr. standard for target. Thanks.

I also am looking for some AR build advice. This is my first build and my intent is mainly 100 to 300 yard shooting. I am going with 5.56 but as far as length of barrel and twist ratio, the more I read the worse I get. I would appreciate some views from you experienced AR shooters. I would also like the ability to fire somewhat heavier loads than 55 gr. standard for target. Thanks.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17520&cat=259&page=1

I am not sure what it is I am looking for on that link. I am definitely leaning towards WOA barrel so it's a good start.

Just buy the whole upper, pop it on, and go shooting. Especially if you want to use a WOA barrel anyway.

The throat on the Wylde chamber is actually a little longer than the NATO chamber, but it works better because the diameter of the is narrower by a couple of thousandths of an inch. It better supports and aligns the bullet as it leaves the case and enters the rifling.

B

Can't speak for any other caliber AR other then the 5.56 and 6.8 as I have no experience with them. I do have the two I mentioned and I really like the 6.8 and think that it should be the standard round the military should be using as it has more power over the 5.56. If it could be adopted by NATO I bet it would be as popular amongst regular troops as it was with Spec Ops units that have tried it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Well I know 23 states don't allow hunting with 223 (5.56) so it allows the AR to be used in those states. The 6.8 is a larger round so will have more stopping power on larger game.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

What is the word on American Weapon Systems? I am thinking of purchasing the Zombie upper and lower from them and building from there.

Does anyone know a FFL in the Leominster Area I can have the lower shipped to?

What is the word on American Weapon Systems? I am thinking of purchasing the Zombie upper and lower from them and building from there.

Does anyone know a FFL in the Leominster Area I can have the lower shipped to?

They're about 25 miles from Leominster. Why not just drive up there?

Is that possible? Thought they were in NH. Don't I have to get an FFL in MA? Also is there any reviews of their uppers and lowers? Good quality?

They're about 25 miles from Leominster. Why not just drive up there?

If he's getting a stripped lower it has to transfer "like a handgun" because of the gay BATFE admin rule changes on stripped lowers. (been about 2 years, not sure?). They don't actually check "handgun" but "other", but the rules on stripped lowers are functionally the same as handguns, so it must go in state of residence now.

-Mike

Is that possible? Thought they were in NH. Don't I have to get an FFL in MA?

If you were buying a fully assembled rifle or shotgun from them you can do it direct, but a stripped lower has to go through an FFL in your state of residence.

-Mike

From Savage

300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

I have built a few 300 Black out uppes and we can also do 6.5 or 6.8 for you. We also do 9mm not sure if you were interested in pistol calabers. We can also do 50 Beowulf.
Complete guns or just uppers all custon builds are lifetime warranted.

Back
Top Bottom