• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for some high velocity 9mm

Aslong as it goes bang it’ll be effective.

I got 40g Liberty Ammo in my 9 now.. probably a Poor choice.. I’d stick with all the legacy personal defense ammo that’s available it’s great stuff.

In my situation, it really doesn’t matter. My gun so shot out. It’s a single shot, Semi auto with extended 17+1 capacity..
But really it’s only a nine shot because you have the rack it every time you use it….
😝

I’m gonna have to start shooting left-handed gangster style.. that way the jams fall right out

Yup. JHP results in less lead exposure than FMJ. In both cases, the copper jacket is swaged onto the lead bullet. The difference is the direction. For FMJ bullets, the copper jacket is swaged from the front, leaving the base mostly exposed lead. For JHP bullets, the copper jacket is swaged from the base of the bullet and crimped in the front.

Because the FMJ bullet’s base is not covered with the jacket, the lead base is exposed to the flames of combustion during firing, and a small bit of lead becomes airborne. In contrast, the base of the JHP bullet is covered by the copper jacket.

That said, most of the airborne lead comes from the primer.

The best way to avoid lead exposure is to shoot on outdoor ranges. Avoid indoor ranges. Then practice good hygiene.

interesting.. the Hornady and Xtreme bullets I've been using to reload all have coated bases as well.

interesting.. the Hornady and Xtreme bullets I've been using to reload all have coated bases as well.
Xtreme are not FMJ, they are plated. Can't push plated bullets the same way you can push FMJ, but they are fine for most handguns (not 460 unless shooting reduced loads).

But Xtreme are so shiny.

Underwood /thread
Note that Underwood offers hot yet still heavy bullets for any given class. Also note gel performance of the heavier bullets in pretty much any caliber. Lucky Gunner is a good source for this.

I shoot 115 - 124gr in my 9mm. That way my practice ammo shoots and feels just like the personal defense ammo.

I carry with Hornady Critical Defense, so practice with just about anything in that 115gr range. Winchester white box, Federal, PMC, etc. It all shoots and feels the same, and is far more economical to practice with than designer personal defense ammo. Same point of impact. My M&P9c cycles anything I put in it. Not sure I'd want to try one of those lighter faster rounds in this application if it isn't 100% reliable in the gun.

Sky’s the limit and if you wanna soak panties stick with the Buffalo Bore
9F188C02-0232-424A-A5A9-EFCFB7774C15.jpeg 83E7485F-BD89-4D86-B216-90AFB4F17B40.jpeg 9BECDCE6-57B3-44CD-B3A6-9C5719DFF893.jpeg

Ballistics Information:

1,524 fps -Walther P88 4-inch barrel
1,374 fps- Glock 19 4-inch barrel
1,508 fps- Browning Hi Power MK111 4.6-inch barrel
1,496 fps- Beretta 92F 4.9-inch barrel
Muzzle Energy: +-507 ft lbs

FC0A5FF8-B11F-4944-826C-9B03BD121811.jpeg
B164370A-AC38-4BEB-AAB7-CEC46579EDCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Lead poisoning from firearms is a non issue with basic precautions.
Have your wife (and yourself) tested periodically.
Just Wash you hands well after handling ammo or cleaning your gun.
After shooting change your clothes (Wash separately from anything that is used in the kitchen) and wash exposed skin.

You can also get ballistic tipped ammo where the lead in the HP is covered with the plastic insert.

Back
Top Bottom