• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for some guidence before a transfer

Hi Guys,

I did some browsing and I couldn't find anything quite like this, so i thought i would ask. Sorry if this is a re-post. I have a LTC-A in southeast Mass. My Mother lives in New Hampshire and wants to give me her M&P Shield .40, which she bought is NH. She tells me I cannot carry it until we do the interstate transfer. My Dad (an ex cop, still lives in mass) says that I can still carry it legally as long as it is on the Mass approved weapons list. Does anyone have any experience with this?? Can I carry this before the transfer or does it need to live in my safe until then?

Any advise I would appreciate as I am getting conflicting advise from my parents.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, my dad says i can carry it because it is on the Mass Compliant list and Mass does not register firearms to individuals

If you are intending to bring it back to mass, it will need to go from her, (maybe to a nh FFL ), to a ma FFL, to you. Before you send it to the MA FFL, get the serial number and model, call the FFL to confirm they will accept delivery and transfer it to you. If the first one or two wont do it, try a couple of more, you might get lucky and find an FFL that will.

If the intention is for it to stay in nh, you'll have to check the nh laws regarding residency, firearm ownership, and carrying laws.

In terms of your fathers advice, if you can get it into MA, thereis no restriction on what you can own or carry. The ag list is for ffls and what they can transfer/sell to you. Just remember, that the standard model available in NH is not likely to be the ma compliant version and may not be on the ag list.

I'd say go to closest dealer in Mass and explain them situation. it looks like Mass likes M&P so it will cost you about $20 to transfer

Back
Top Bottom