• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for some good law firm contacts

I am a part-time MA resident (I own a residence that was in my family) and primarily live in NC but I am spending more and more time at my cabin and would like to get some good legal direction on obtaining a LTC of my own instead of transferring to family members that are already in-state. I'm also needing to get up to speed with the laws, so if anyone can recommend a reputable firm w/a good contact number or website address I'd appreciate it.

Kevlar, thanks for the link. I did a search for "law firms" and didn't really come up with anything. I didn't want to search "lawyers" as I would think that keyword is in the majority of the threads here. Terraformer, have you or know of anyone who has retained his services? I would like to get at least some web addresses so that I can research their sites as well as getting some independent backround on the lawyers...but that is more difficult to do if I only have a screen name instead of their real name. Springfield is a little more than an hour from me but I don't mind if a firm is across the state if they are reputable and have a good track record of positive results.

Kevlar, thanks for the link. I did a search for "law firms" and didn't really come up with anything. I didn't want to search "lawyers" as I would think that keyword is in the majority of the threads here. Terraformer, have you or know of anyone who has retained his services? I would like to get at least some web addresses so that I can research their sites as well as getting some independent backround on the lawyers...but that is more difficult to do if I only have a screen name instead of their real name. Springfield is a little more than an hour from me but I don't mind if a firm is across the state if they are reputable and have a good track record of positive results.
JHickson is, perhaps not surprisingly, Joseph Hickson, who is on the list that Kevlar pointed you towards, which includes his full contact information and web site.

Thanks you all as the information is extremely helpful. Has anyone here retained any of the lawyers mentioned? I'm not going to ask about any outcomes, I just want to know if you were satisfied with the service rendered.

Thanks you all as the information is extremely helpful. Has anyone here retained any of the lawyers mentioned? I'm not going to ask about any outcomes, I just want to know if you were satisfied with the service rendered.

These are all well known attorneys in the MA firearms community. If any of them were doing a bad job, I expect that everyone on NES would have heard about it by now.

There is no big difference if you are going to one for advice. The big difference occurs when you pick one to fight a battle.

Your choices:

1. Assert dual residency and apply for a MA resident LTC. This may not be possible based on a part time address, and the pitfalls of trying this and having a LE agency disagree with you can be unpleasant. I would not pursue this course without competent legal advice (which may very well consist of "don't do it").

2. Own a business in MA and apply to the town in which that business is situated. The dept can, but may not, issue a LTC to a non-resident based on business ownership. (uncommon but legal)

3. Apply for a temporary non-resident MA LTC. $100 per year; apply through the CHSB; in-person interview in Chelsea required each year. If you are clean, you can expect this to be approved, however, getting one issued without restrictions may or may not happen.

Be sure to learn about the MA AW ban, the ban on carry on school property, and the MA safe storage laws.

Rob, thanks for the excellent heads-up as you mentioned some things that I didn't think about or would've not thought about. I'm sure the best route for me to start on is to get legal advice. I do own property & pay taxes on it so hopefully that will count for at least something in regards to getting a resident LTC...but that conversation is better discussed after retaining a lawyer. I won't be able to buy/own/start a business due to $$ and I also collect social security disability so I am unable to earn an income outside of SSD & my military disability/VA income and I can't afford to lose my SSD benefit just for the purpose of getting a LTC when I will only be using it for no more than 6-7 months out of the year...but more than likely less than that. I'm trying to learn the state's AWB and again more than likely for it to stick in my noggin I might need to get the specific information from Mr. Lawyer. The storage requirement is already met so at least there is one thing out of the way. Again thanks for helping me out and I appreciate any more information that anyone is able to give. Terraformer, I'll take your experience into consideration when I get to the point of making some calls.

These are all well known attorneys in the MA firearms community. If any of them were doing a bad job, I expect that everyone on NES would have heard about it by now.

There is no big difference if you are going to one for advice. The big difference occurs when you pick one to fight a battle.

Your choices:

1. Assert dual residency and apply for a MA resident LTC. This may not be possible based on a part time address, and the pitfalls of trying this and having a LE agency disagree with you can be unpleasant. I would not pursue this course without competent legal advice (which may very well consist of "don't do it").

2. Own a business in MA and apply to the town in which that business is situated. The dept can, but may not, issue a LTC to a non-resident based on business ownership. (uncommon but legal)

3. Apply for a temporary non-resident MA LTC. $100 per year; apply through the CHSB; in-person interview in Chelsea required each year. If you are clean, you can expect this to be approved, however, getting one issued without restrictions may or may not happen.

Be sure to learn about the MA AW ban, the ban on carry on school property, and the MA safe storage laws.

Back
Top Bottom