• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for some folks that fly fish

peterk123

NES Member
Any of you guys out there that fly fish by chance tightline/euro fish? I have been reading about it for the past year and decided it is time to take the plunge. I guess to some degree I have done a mini version of it in some of the small creeks. I found a nice deal through Orvis for a 10 foot 3 wt clearwater setup. Like guns, you can never have enough rods :)

Oh boy, where to start.

Is it much more effective than using an indicator? I keep reading that we do not even notice many of the hits with an indicator.
Does a standard 5 or six weight work or is it worth taking the plunge and getting a rod specifically made for it?
It looks like you use a very long leader. I fish often with twelve foot leaders when I nymph fish, but I gotta tell ya, I go to a lot of trouble to not get that damn loop to loop connection in my guides. But many times I have no choice. I even modify my leader loops by going with no knot and whip finishing it. It still sucks. So what do you do for a nice transition?
Nymphs- Same stuff or something special? I tie a lot of tungsten flies but should they be lower profile to get down even quicker?

Did it a long time ago. I had a fly going back and forth directly over where a trout was jumping over a full body length out of the water, next to a high grass cut out, on a high current river bend. It was jumping until I started with the fly, then it stopped, until I stopped. Then it started jumping again. The 22 in the tackle box looked very tempting.

If I only had the full auto DRODZ back then! That would have been fun.
[mg]............................ 🦈

I still have the pole with an extra top half in it's original screw top cardboard tube and cloth sleeve. Reels are somewhere

Last edited:
I have a 9ft. split bamboo 7wt. That I use on ponds. The I have an 8ft. Graphite 7wt. for streams. I have two reals one set up for a sinking line and one for a floating line. My general "go to" fly is a Maple Syrup with 4 wraps of .15 no lead wire. For Brookies and Salmon I like a Grey Ghost. Another nice trout streamer is a Mrs. Simpson.

Find a Trout Unlimited Chapter, they usually have fly tying course and folks there to show you some of the finer points of fly fishing. I am an anomaly as a Fly fisherman I keep the legal fish as I eat them.

I've fished out west and in new Zealand quite a bit and wether I use an indicator depends on the body of water I'm fishing. Some bodies are too fast and using an indicator will create the tiniest amount of drag, and when you're fishing for 18lb + browns that will turn their nose at anything bigger than a size 18 fly everything has to be perfect.

Lately I've been using no indicator, a long leader, and three flies, an ultra heavy tungsten nymph and 2 tiny nymphs. Its an incredibly heavy payload, and I use a long line and primarily roll cast into deep pockets, its been working well for me up in Maine around Errol.

I use a specialized setup because it helps, but it is not necessary. They're expensive, but I'm an old man with time and money to waste

I've fished out west and in new Zealand quite a bit and wether I use an indicator depends on the body of water I'm fishing. Some bodies are too fast and using an indicator will create the tiniest amount of drag, and when you're fishing for 18lb + browns that will turn their nose at anything bigger than a size 18 fly everything has to be perfect.

Lately I've been using no indicator, a long leader, and three flies, an ultra heavy tungsten nymph and 2 tiny nymphs. Its an incredibly heavy payload, and I use a long line and primarily roll cast into deep pockets, its been working well for me up in Maine around Errol.

I use a specialized setup because it helps, but it is not necessary. They're expensive, but I'm an old man with time and money to waste

I have a 10 foot 3 wt coming my way. I have some flies to tie this winter 🙃

Pete,

Is it fly fishing only out there in all those rivers and streams out there? I know its the gentlemans way of fishing, but just wondering?

Pete,

Is it fly fishing only out there in all those rivers and streams out there? I know its the gentlemans way of fishing, but just wondering?
No, you can spin fish and throw bait too. But fly fishing seems by far the most effective. I actually just picked up a four piece six foot ultralight spinning rod for the mountain lakes and creeks for when we hike and camp next summer. I have been looking for a year for a four piece! You know, supply chain issues and all. Uggh.

Even through the ice we have been using just one spinning rod per person with a tiny tungsten jig that I modified with some marabou to get the trout. We have had a couple of thirty fish days so far. The predominant food source is definitely insects. It did not hit me until I came here and fished that I realized how sterile many of the streams and rivers are in central Mass. You put a fine net in the water here and in two minutes it filled with insects and insect larvae. Never mind what my car looked like this summer. I thought my headlights were out; nope... just a ton of bug guts.

Back
Top Bottom