LOOKING FOR SOME EXPERIENCED OPINIONS ON M1A

BONESTOCK

NES Member
Hello folks, I have recently looked at a shiny new Springfield M1A Squad Scout and I really like the shorter 18" platform.
I like the walnut stock over the black poly and I think it is very cool that this has a forward rail for aimpoint style optics.
This is not really a cheap rifle and I was wondering what others here think about it.
I will not be shooting much further than 100 yards most times and really just want it for fun but some guys say go full size or nothing.
I reload and yes I do care about some reasonable level of accuracy but I do not need to shoot sub MOA to have fun and this rifle just looks bad ass.
Let me know what you think as far as performance or limitations of this rifle.
Any info from someone who knows, would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

[smile]

Hello folks, I have recently looked at a shiny new Springfield M1A Squad Scout and I really like the shorter 18" platform.
I like the walnut stock over the black poly and I think it is very cool that this has a forward rail for aimpoint style optics.
This is not really a cheap rifle and I was wondering what others here think about it.
I will not be shooting much further than 100 yards most times and really just want it for fun but some guys say go full size or nothing.
I reload and yes I do care about some reasonable level of accuracy but I do not need to shoot sub MOA to have fun and this rifle just looks bad ass.

[smile]

In reading your criteria for the rifle, I think you'll be very happy with the Squad Scout. The only limitation would be loss of velocity with the shorter barrel (and that really only matters if you were going to shoot at 600yds regularly).
Springfield makes a great rifle.

Oh, and it's loud.

Having a M1A, if you are looking to mount an optic and want something in 308, consider an AR in 308. The M1A is less accurate and has limited mounting choices. However the M1A is damn cool and get it if you want it. They will shoot 2moa with irons and good ammo if you are up to it.

There is another thread about this from a while ago, do some searching and check out that conversation.

Thank you for the input.
I do already have an AR10 16 inch platform with a bipod and a scope and it does 1.5 - 2.0 inch without much effort.
I am not really much of a rifle shooter but i do like to have some fun from time to time and everything about that M1A just says FUN

I love shooting my M1, so I totally understand the feeling. There are great looking and handling rifles.

I am sure you already know this but don't shoot 180 grain hunting ammo in an M1, and 168 /175 weight ammo usually works really well depending on twist rate.

Last edited:
"Don't want no drama queen... I just want my M14" My favorite rifle type.

I'm not a fan of the newer Springfields with their 'in house' fire control components. I lean towards the USGI bits or high quality aftermarket.

My 'baby' is a pre-ban SEI, 22" med weight chambered for M118LR, unitized gas system, NM sights and recoil spring guide. The one I recently built is a Fulton receiver, Wolfe 18.5" med weight fluted barrel, Sadlak spring guide sitting in a modified Troy stock. Both have either USGI parts or high quality aftermarket.

Feeling the urge to build another [grin]

Last edited:
some guys say go full size or nothing.

I won't say that because the full sized military styled versions are hard enough to get already! It took me nearly 6 months to locate one. Get the shorter one and make life easier for the rest of us! [smile]

Web%20m1a.jpg

The M1A is less accurate

really? Maybe the shorter versions, but there's a reason that the M1a (M14) is still being used as a sniper rifle.

I have to inject my 'pet peeve' into this thread...

'M1A' refers only to those M14 type rifles manufactured by Springfield Armory Inc. It's a registered Trade Mark.

Most all other manufacturers call them M14s or some form of M14x...or M21...or M25. A friend of mine is the one who developed and produced the original M25 sniper versions of the M14. I'd love to get my hands on one.

There, I feel better.

Last edited:

[smile]
Do not use hot ammo in that rifle. You will beat up the gas system and bend or break the operating rod. Ammo to avoid, specifically, is Hornady "Light Magnum" and NORMA .308 commercial hunting ammo. Those loads are hot and can damage any gas-operated action, not just the M1A.

I bought one, from the box, took it to the range and shot the gong at 100 yards from the standing position. No adjustments. They are great, it will be a favorite immediatly. Just waiting for some money and a little luck to get a SOCOM II, just for fun.

I have an M1A NM glass bedded with a Douglas heavy barrel 1 in 10 twist, set up with a Brookfield Scope mount and 3x9 Redfield, Brookfield Gas piston and Brookfield spring guide.
It is the balls!!
Nice rifle, Joe. It should serve you well for the rest of your life and then some. Your heirs will inherit a fine firearm!

[smile]

I love shooting mine!

Although I have found that in order to achieve a correct cheek weld with a scope or RDS, I needed to install a comb riser.

With the Scout Scope configuration (and my own reloads), I have been able to hit man-size steel targets out to 400 yards with it.

They are great rifles!

P9291493.jpg

P4241031.jpg

Ah yes, the BPT XM-25. Often imitated but never duplicated. I also own a pre ban Bush rilfle, precurser to the scout, and I can hit a 5 gallon water jug at 600 yds with the iron sights. Go with the scout it is a great all around battle rifle.

Back
Top Bottom