• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking for small grip 9mm for the wife?

Some have mentioned sub-compacts and I think those would be a horrible idea. The recoil won't be pleasant for her. I'd look at a SIG 225 or 1911 in 9mm. In other words, larger single stacks. You might also try to find a SIG 229 with the E2 grips.

Some have mentioned sub-compacts and I think those would be a horrible idea. The recoil won't be pleasant for her. I'd look at a SIG 225 or 1911 in 9mm. In other words, larger single stacks. You might also try to find a SIG 229 with the E2 grips.

A 9mm 1911 would be great depending on the intended use. If its for carry, you'll never get her to carry it.
If its for the range, or HD, its a great idea. Probably the best one so far.

Ladysmith was a good suggestion. Do they still make them? Do they still make the 3913? Do they still make the CS9? I cannot seem to find them, but I have a tough time with the S&W site period.

Luger?

Last edited:
Some ladysmiths are great. The 3913 based one is excellent.

Some of the "cute" little J frames are terrible. The very short bbl creates a lot of muzzle flip and the short, two finger grip doesn't allow someone who may not have as much weight and hand strength as the average shooter to controll that flip. To make matters worse the trigger pulls tend to be heavy which causes the cute little roundish grip to rotate in the hand.

In summary, I'm not being sexist, most women shoot less than their enthusiast husbands and are smaller. All things that work against a small snubbie J frame, which is one of the harder defensive handguns to shoot well.

Don

Why the compact? Thats my point. If her hand fits the grip, give her a full sized gun with a long slide to soak up recoil. Unless its for carry, then I agree, but the OP hasn't actually stated the use for the gun.

Don

Being a female myself and doing a lot of research regarding the same concerns (Glock is too bulky, mag release in funny areas, interest in competition shooting)

My pick: Ruger SR9

Why do I choose SR9? Because the full size SR9 would be a better active shooting/competition gun than the SR9c. If we eliminate the active shooting specification I would suggest the Ruger LC9 for carry. And by experience the Walther PPS would be a horrible choice for active shooting.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I'm still trying to wade through thim all. Now to answer some questions, this will not ever be a carry gun (she can't keep track of the mace I gave her), primary purpose will be a range gun (so small with snappy recoil is no fun), weight is a factor (she's 100lbs wet holding a 30cal ammo box), also would like to be able to shoot USPSA with it.

Was at my fathers house and fitted the ruger sr9c to her hand which fit fairly well but I forgot how much the slide relese sucks on that pistol. anyone have a solution for that? I know thats a whole different thread. Other than that I tried my Sigma 40 in her hand and she was able to function the slide OK but I dont think she will shoot it well, although I coul find a 9mm version for cheap if she had any luck.

... this will not ever be a carry gun ..., primary purpose will be a range gun (so small with snappy recoil is no fun), weight is a factor ..., also would like to be able to shoot USPSA with it.

In that case, an aluminum full size 1911 in 9mm would fit the bill.

Except an SR9C would be pointlessly small.

If she likes the SR9, look into an SR9 full sized. Less recoil, better grip, still not a lot of weight.

Even still, I think you should think bigger. Not bigger in grip circumference or trigger reach, but bigger in grip and slide length.

Personally, I think people make WAY too much about a gun being too heavy for small women. In the big scheme of things, even an all steel 1911 is not heavy for the length of time she is actually shooting it.

I'm a big fan of full sized, single stack guns for women. But thats just my .02.

I just don't get this obsession with trying to get women to shoot small guns. SMALL GUNS ARE HARDER TO SHOOT WELL.

Another thing. A heavy slide requires a lighter spring to deal with recoil. A light slide requires a heavier spring, all else being equal.

So guess what will be easier for a person who is smaller in stature and has less upper body strength?? You guessed it, the larger gun with the heavier slide and the lighter recoil spring.

Don

Last edited:
Was at my fathers house and fitted the ruger sr9c to her hand which fit fairly well but I forgot how much the slide relese sucks on that pistol. anyone have a solution for that? I know thats a whole different thread.

It's hard to release by design, it's a slide stop not a slide release.

Some people will actually file it down, others have had good luck by breaking it in. I just pull the slide back and release it.

If she likes the SR9, look into an SR9 full sized. Less recoil, better grip, still not a lot of weight.

Even still, I think you should think bigger. Not bigger in grip circumference or trigger reach, but bigger in grip and slide length.

Personally, I think people make WAY too much about a gun being too heavy for small women. In the big scheme of things, even an all steel 1911 is not heavy for the length of time she is actually shooting it.

I'm a big fan of full sized, single stack guns for women. But thats just my .02.

I just don't get this obsession with trying to get women to shoot small guns. SMALL GUNS ARE HARDER TO SHOOT WELL.

Another thing. A heavy slide requires a lighter spring to deal with recoil. A light slide requires a heavier spring, all else being equal.

So guess what will be easier for a person who is smaller in stature and has less upper body strength?? You guessed it, the larger gun with the heavier slide and the lighter recoil spring.

Don

This.^

My wife and I took the basic course at GOAL with Jon. She liked shooting a .45 the best. It had about at 3.5lb trigger pull or so. She is 120lbs and has very small hands, and found the revolvers (the standard recommendation for women) very hard to shoot. The Glock was too big for her hand, the SR9 was comfortable but the trigger pull was not as light as on the .45.

Moral of the story is don't assume that smaller means more comfortable, try them all on for size you might just be surprised at what is comfortable to shoot.
My wife hit a small metal plate at 45 feet 5 times in a row on her first day shooting with the .45. Couldn't hit the side of a barn with the smaller guns, mostly because of the stiff trigger pull.

Last edited:

Don

I totally agree with this and it's part of why I recommended a full size, 9mm 1911. Also, I'd get it in all steel (or stainless) but have her try that first. The longer sight radius will allow more practical accuracy and the weight will absorb the recoil (as will the low bore axis).

M&P with small grip insert?

We have some smaller officers on my job that used to have to carry 9mm's when we had the S&W 4000's to fit thier smaller hands. Now everyone carries the M&P .45 without issue using their grip of choice.

Last edited:
This.^

My wife and I took the basic course at GOAL with Jon. She liked shooting a .45 the best. ... She ... found the revolvers (the standard recommendation for women) very hard to shoot. The Glock was too big for her hand, the SR9 was comfortable but the trigger pull was not as light as on the .45. ... don't assume that smaller means more comfortable, try them all on for size you might just be surprised at what is comfortable to shoot. ... My wife hit a small metal plate at 45 feet 5 times in a row on her first day shooting with the .45. ...

I totally agree with this and it's part of why I recommended a full size, 9mm 1911. Also, I'd get it in all steel (or stainless) but have her try that first. The longer sight radius will allow more practical accuracy and the weight will absorb the recoil (as will the low bore axis).

I was surprised after the Women on Target thing that my wife liked a full sized, custom .45 the best. She said she was very accurate with it, and it was most comfortable for her. I thought for sure she would like the AR-15 because it was fun, easy, and accurate. At least I was right that she didn't like the shotgun.

I agree. See post 43 and post 45.

My wife loves her S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series.....

pix283187764.jpg

My wife loves her S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series.....

pix283187764.jpg

Do you own a 1911 in 45 as well? My only problem with buying her a 1911 is that I don't have one for myself. Not that I can't share but I always wanted one in 45. Maybe I sacrifice my wants for now and share with her.

Just to continue my small guns are bad for women rant.

My wife can't even rack the slide on my LCP. But she can shoot very well with my G34. The size of the grip doesn't bother her even though she's only 5'1".

She also has difficulty working my 9mm PM9's slide, but again has no trouble with the G34.
Same caliber, but the spring on the Kahr is much stiffer than the Glock's spring.

I don't claim to be a great shooter, but I've been giving CT pistol permit classes for a few years and have had the chance to watch more than a few novices shoot different guns.

I've noticed that many new shooters have difficulty with small revolvers because of the small, round grip and the stiff trigger.
I've noticed that those same people have no trouble with larger revolvers with tuned triggers and full sized grips like my 66 or 686.

Most women, even those with small hands who don't particularly like the way it feels, shoot my Glock 34 well. Very well. In fact they shoot it better than any other gun I let them shoot.
Most don't like the recoil of my .45 ACP 1911. Since I only use factory ammo durring classes, they don't get to try my puffball loads I use for local steel matches. However, most like the feel of the .45. Especially my Nighthawk Custom with slim grips.

Most shoot the PM9 well. Its got a near miraculous ability to defy the laws of physics. A gun that small and light should not recoil as little as it does. But many still can not manipulate the slide properly on it. The spring is simply too stiff.

All of this leads me to think, even though I don't have one, that a 9mm 1911 with aggressively textured slim grips could be an ideal gun for women (or men) who are small of stature and don't shoot a whole heck of a lot. For larger or more skilled women, this all goes out the window. Since any skilled shooter can figure ways around any physiological limitations and adapt.

She also has difficulty working my 9mm PM9's slide, but again has no trouble with the G34.
Same caliber, but the spring on the Kahr is much stiffer than the Glock's spring.
Yes, the PM9 slide is hard for many women. My wife can rack, but can't lock open, the slide on Kahr K9, but only just. My G34, however, is useless for her -- she just can't reach the trigger.

So far we have talked semi-autos...why not a medium frame revolver? A lot of strength issues go away.
Yes and no. With revolver, there is obviously no need to rack the slide. But back when I was teaching more often, many of my older female students didn't have the strength for a S&W DA trigger -- even one that I'd done a trigger job on.

My students, both male and female have no trouble with my worked 686 and 66. However, they've both got reduced power Wolf springs and I've backed off on the preload of the main spring. They are plinkers only; not to be used defensively. Both have DA triggers in the 6-7# range and definitely don't hit the primer as hard as a stock one does, although neither has ever failed to ignite a round.

With all that said, my little 340 PD has both a heavy trigger and a small grip. New shooters do universally terribly with it despite the fact that its got great mechanical accuracy.

Don

Back
Top Bottom