Looking for service information

84ta406

NES Member
Hey guys figured this was the best place to ask. I am wondering if there is a way/place where I can look up service information about my grandfather. He passed away when I was little and I don't know much about him. I know he was in the USMC and served during WW2 but aside from that nothing. Curious about rank, any medals, theatre, what company he served in etc.

Here's some basic info if anyone can help me out.
Edward L Luboda was born on November 9 1927.
Edward lived in Leicester, Massachusetts 01524, USA.
Edward passed away on May 19 1995, at age 67.

Also worth mentioning that
On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). The records affected:

BranchPersonnel and Period AffectedEstimated Loss
ArmyPersonnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 196080%
Air ForcePersonnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964
(with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
75%

I know you said USMC, if that info is correct, it shouldn't have been lost.

It’s easy enough to get his service I.d. Number and then look up his dates of service. With that information you can write away to the National Archives and they’ll send you what ever they have in his file. There was a major fire in the Archives back in the 1970’s (‘73 maybe?) that destroyed many records — my grandfather’s included. However after getting out of the Army he went to work as a civilian at the Brooklyn Navy Yard painting ships, so I was able to get some of his records that way also. After my records search, they sent me my grandfather’s military decorations for free.

If you need details on how to go through the process just PM me.

Well I ended up signing up for Ancestry.com, found a little bit of info, mainly some muster rolls from 1945-1947. Looks like he just missed out on going off to war after all based on my search. That explains why he never told any war stories..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-155118.png
    Screenshot_20210424-155118.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 33068_272435-00455.jpg
    33068_272435-00455.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 15
Having the muster roll, you can look on eBay or some online used book retailers and see if you can find his unit history. Again, in the case of my grandfather I was able to get a summary of his unit maneuvers this way. Many of the published unit histories have photographs, so maybe you’ll get lucky.

Since you’re also on Ancestry, you should be able to get a copy of his draft registration card, and you can see if he enlisted or was drafted, etc

B1F444F5-43F4-4319-B17A-A78EFE5A15DA.jpeg

Well I ended up signing up for Ancestry.com, found a little bit of info, mainly some muster rolls from 1945-1947. Looks like he just missed out on going off to war after all based on my search. That explains why he never told any war stories..
His 18th birthday fell on Nov 9, 1945. So maybe your great grandparents were unwilling to allow him to go in early.

Having the muster roll, you can look on eBay or some online used book retailers and see if you can find his unit history. Again, in the case of my grandfather I was able to get a summary of his unit maneuvers this way. Many of the published unit histories have photographs, so maybe you’ll get lucky.

Since you’re also on Ancestry, you should be able to get a copy of his draft registration card, and you can see if he enlisted or was drafted, etc

View attachment 475844
I didn't find any registration cards pretty much only a handful of Muster rolls. I did see he was discharged as a Corporal in 1947. Still cool to find out.

Back
Top Bottom