Looking for semi-auto rifle suggestions

I have an S&W M&P Sport so this isn't because I don't want to buy an AR its because I already have one. I am just looking at different semi auto rifle options. I want an AK but i refuse to pay the ridiculous prices from the inferior manufactures.

I'm fond of a converted Saiga... if you can't/won't buy an AR.
Unconverted:
medium_111312540-wts-bnib-saiga-7-62x39-unconverted-w-ammo-conversion-kit-oceanside.jpg

Partial: (stage 1)
296739_02_converted_saiga_7_62x39_640.jpg

Full (stage II) traditional:
saiga_x39_07-25-08_500.jpg

I would really like a AK but the prices are to high for even the inferior manufacturers.

The Zastava Serbian Yugospec rifles are really nice, and reasonably priced at $5-700.

They **look** like AKMs but have different tolerances and internal parts including the bolt assembly.

I've put a half dozen 660rd spam cans and countless boxes of cheap stuff (wolf/bear/tt) through an N-Pap M70, several thousand rounds, and it hasn't slowed down or screwed up once. Considering how much cheap steel case I've put through it, I'm blown away I haven't hit a dud or a failure to return to battery yet, let alone a failure that can really be blamed on the firearm itself.

The Mini is fine for a $600 gun, but as others have said it's something you have to put some money into to make it just right. The very least you have to do is change the bushing in the gas block, or replace it completely with an adjustable so that the thing doesn't throw brass about 50 yards. The accu-strut is no longer necessary with the new-model barrels, but they do still help a little. Ruger thoughtfully now includes a rail segment that you can screw into the receiver, and it's already tapped for it so all you need is a little loctite and a middlin scope to stick on it.

You also have to find some pre-ban mags for them, and they're tough to come by compared to pre-ban AR mags. The new production 10-rounders are shitty jam-o-matics, and being limited to 5 rounds is just annoying. The magazines take a little bit of practice to be able to quickly and confidently insert.

I also put mine into a Hogue overmolded stock which fits me better than the standard composite stock, but I've got some fitment issues I need to iron out. The trigger guard sometimes doesn't snap down fully and can pop out. I think a little sanding will fix the issue, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: holy jesus, MFS is listing them at $800+? You would need to be out of your mind to buy a Mini at that price!

Save a few bucks more and get a IMI Galil in either 5.56 or 7.62x39. Great bang for the buck. Or look for a SIG 556 (based on the legendary mod551 of the Swiss forces). Both based on the AK style receivers, both available used, extremely reliable, sans the pain in the ass optic mounting issue.

Rifle price is secondary if you plan to shoot at all. Caliber dictates cost more than anything. 5.56 or 7.62x39 would be cheapest i suspect.

Unless you're going to put the weapon into storage, shooting costs of each caliber should be your concern.

I think it depends what you want from it.

If your on a forum asking.. you will probably be happy with a Mini 14 or a KelTec Su16. Both are fine for plinking, target practice, home defense and are more than enough for 90% of the guys/girl here.

If you shoot a lot, compete, use it in a professional capacity etc. those aren't ideal.

The options are pay way to much for an AR, AK, FAL or

Intermediate Caliber
CZ Bren $$
Sig 556 $
IWI Tavor $$
Galil $$$
Scar 16 $$$
RDB $$

Full Rifle Caliber
M1A $
G3 $
Scar17 $$$
RFB $$
FNAR $
BAR style rifles $$

There are more... For a general purpose rifle I like the older Sig 556 Swats. Its super reliable, proven and there is a decent aftermarket for it.

I always heard that the Mini 14 wasn't very accurate but one day I was at the range and there was one other guy there and that's what he was shooting. I had my AR. After chit chatting a little he hands it to me and says give it a try. It just had irons sights. I put it to my shoulder, standing off hand and put 5 shots in a 4 inch target in about 5 seconds at 50 yds. I think with irons the Mini 14 accuracy is fine. Maybe if you start scoping it up in wouldn't be but it's really not that kind of rifle.

For a knock-around, inexpensive, reliable shooter: SKS Should be able to pick one up for less than $500 (plenty of ammo at 22¢ a pop).
An alternative to all of those evil black guns/ARs, go with a Remington 81 (300 Savage/35 Remington ammo is a bit obscure) or Woodsmaster 742, 7400 (243 Winchester/.308 Winchester/.30-06 Spfd.)

I always heard that the Mini 14 wasn't very accurate but one day I was at the range and there was one other guy there and that's what he was shooting. I had my AR. After chit chatting a little he hands it to me and says give it a try. It just had irons sights. I put it to my shoulder, standing off hand and put 5 shots in a 4 inch target in about 5 seconds at 50 yds. I think with irons the Mini 14 accuracy is fine. Maybe if you start scoping it up in wouldn't be but it's really not that kind of rifle.
This is where expectations come into play.
Hand someone a rifle and say it's a 8moa gun and whether or not they can actually shoot to 8moa or not it does not sound good to most.
Now I see lots of people perfectly happy shooting 25 and 50 yards into toroso size targets and hitting it somewhere and that's OK for them.

Last edited:
I've seen RDB's going for around 900. That would be my recommendation. Kel-tec makes a California-compliant version (RDB-C) with no pistol grip which handles well (per Oleg Volk), and will have a version with iron sights and adjustable stock (RDB-S) out soon.

IMAG1051.jpg

It looks like you are open to almost anything nice and with all the great recommendations you got from the members here, I would say you need to find the one that "fits" you. Personally, I did not like the Tavor, too short for me, I like the Beretta CX Storm 9MM, my son just bought a Savage Scout that is ok, but the other day I fired an AK that looks like the rifle that enbloc posted. That gun was awesome!

this one
saiga_x39_07-25-08_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom